What happened that evening

I still feel for you...

Jin Gook, Yang-ssaem and Kang Oh Hyuk met at the cafeteria where they were catching up with the latest news about the Kirin Alumnus. Jin Gook told the two teachers he was having a vacation and that he wanted to kill time by teaching part time.

"Well, that's good! But we have to ask wifey first," Kang-ssaem said, referring to his principal-wife Kang Kyung Jin.

"Please do ask her, even if I just teach for two months. I just cannot spend my time being idle. It gets to boring and it drags my nerves," Jin Gook explained.

"Ah, jeongmal? Geureum, get your papers ready by tomorrow, and come here at ten in the morning. I'm going to personally you to the principal," Yang-ssaem said.

"Gamsahamnida."

***

Jin Gook decided to go to a ramyun shop and meet his childhood friend Jin Yoo Jin. 

"Hyung, how have you been?" Yoo Jin asked as he pat his hyung's back while asking him to be seated.

"Well, I got to be on a vacation. Aish...work got to be so tiring, you know? Well, after this break I'll be very busy again performing in America." Jin Gook explained. "Neo, Jin Yoo Jin, how have you been?"

"I've been joining a street band as the bassist. You know, it's my only way to support myself. I'll be finishing middle school, and then what? I don't even know where I'll be going to high school."

"You might want to try Kirin High." Jin Gook suggested.

"Kirin? Is that a trash school or something?" Yoo Jin asked as he ate his ramyun.

"Trash? Yah, Jin Yoo Jin, for your information, that's where I graduated."

Yoo Jin choked on his food. "J..Jeongmal?? Geureum, that must be a good school then! Who else graduated there?"

Jin Gook counted the successful alumni with his fingers. "You remembered Ri-ah, right, that famous actress? She graduated there. Then there's Yoon Baek Hee aka Miss K, but she's teaching in Kirin right now. Song Sam Dong aka K, Jason, Go Hye Mi the Broadway singer. Pil Suk, the owner of that kindergarten school in the next three blocks.'

"Hmm...arrasseo," Yoo Jin said as he continued slurping on his ramyun.

***

"Eonnie, gomawo!" Lee Ji Kyung said as she smiled and ate her ramyun.

"Have your fill, Ji Kyung-ah. It's payday, and I wanted to congratulate you early on for your debut." Baek Hee smiled at her childish cousin. "So, when are you going to go to OZ Entertainment?"

"Next week. But I guess I still have to train though. President Lee told me I still have to hone my dancing and singing skills more. But it will be worth the wait," Ji Kyung said.

Baek Hee nodded and continued eating. She was intently listening to a conversation nearby. She turned her ear to the sound of Jin Gook's voice. Then, she turned her head to find him with a guy Ji Kyung's age, talking about Kirin and the alumni.

When the two girls ended their meal, Baek Hee dragged Ji Kyung behind her and they went to Jin Gook's table.

"Annyeong, Gook-ah."

"Annyeong, Baek Hee-ya. I didn't know you were also dining here."

"Ne. I just happened to hear your voice, that's why I knew you were here too. Mian.."

"Gwaenchanhayo. By the way, meet my childhood friend, Jin Yoo Jin."

Yoo Jin greeted the teacher.

"Meet my cousin, Lee Ji Kyung."

Ji Kyung shyly went beside her cousin and greeted Gook-ah and Yoo Jin.

"She looks Jiyeon of T-ara," Yoo Jin commented.

"Ji..jinjja?" Ji Kyung shyly asked. She kept tugging Baek Hee's shirt; she wanted to go home already. But Baek Hee laughed.

"Ne. Many people say that too. And I should say you also look like Jung Jin Woon of 2AM."

"Aish, noona, you are kidding me, right? Jung Jin Woon is into ballad. Jin Yoo Jin is into rock music!" Yoo Jin said as he looked at Ji Kyung tugging. "Yah, Ji Kyung-ah, gwaenchanha?" he asked.

"N..ne..Eonnie..." And Ji Kyung whispered to Baek Hee. The latter just nodded thoughtfully and smiled.

"Arrasseo. Well, we better get going. Ji Kyung still has a test tomorrow and she can't afford to fail. Annyeong."

***

Baek Hee dropped Ji Kyung to her house. The latter suddenly complained of stomach pains and she didn't want to embarrass herself in front of her eonnie's friends.

BAek Hee, meanwhile, went to her mother's shop. She saw that her mother was nowhere to be found, so she decided to stay a little bit and man the shop till her eomma arrives.

***

Jin Gook decided to visit Hye Sung's house. Incidentally, Go Byung Jik wasn't at home. Seeing Jin Gook, Hye Sung went to meet him and opened the gate for him.

"Annyeong Oppa. Long time no see," Hye Sung said as she pulled Jin Gook towards her and kissed his cheek.

"Hye Sung-ah, you should stop doing that."

"Wae? I like you, Oppa."

"Well, you're just to young for me, that's why."

"Ehh...Oppa is just being snobbish right now. I know why you came here. You wanted to ask about my eonnie, right?"

Jin Gook chuckled. "You really read my mind!"

Hye Sung pulled Jin Gook towards the living room and had him sit on the couch. She went to the kitchen and got some cold water for her visitor. Jin Gook took the glass of cold water and thanked his host.

"How are you, Hye Sung-ah? How are your studies at Kirin?"

"I'm no longer at Kirin, Oppa. Appa had me transfer to Seoul School of Arts. It basically had the same curriculum, yet not the same dedication as Kirin's teachers. I especially missed Kang Oh Hyuk-seonsaengnim."

"Well, I could say he's everyone's favorite teacher, huh," Jin Gook said.

***

It was already nine thirty when Mrs Yoon returned to her store. When she saw Baek Hee dozing off, she went inside and spanked her daughter's head.

"Apa!...Eomma, what did you do that for?"

"How long have you been here?"

"Two hours, I guess.." 

"You came here just to sleep? Why didn't you just go home and sleep? You are such a useless being!"

"Eomma, can't you even appreciate that someone was guarding the store?"

"Appreciate..huh! How could I thank you when you were sleeping on the job? Go out! Go home and don't come back here till you get your senses straight!"

***

Jin Gook stayed for ten minutes at Hye Sung's house before he decided to go home. Yet, leaving the house, he decided to roam around instead. 

He happened to pass by a small alley where a few stores were standing. Jin Gook roamed his way around till he heard some shouting.

 

"You came here just to sleep? Why didn't you just go home and sleep? You are such a useless being!"

"Eomma, can't you even appreciate that someone was guarding the store?"

"Appreciate..huh! How could I thank you when you were sleeping on the job? Go out! Go home and don't come back here till you get your senses straight!"

Baek Hee. Jin Gook was sure he heard Baek Hee's voice. He was suddenly curious and he went to the store. Coincidentally, he saw Baek Hee running out, crying. She saw him, and in her shame, ran towards the opposite direction towards her house. Jin Gook ran after Baek Hee till he reached the house.
 
"BAek Hee, gwaenchanha?"
 
"A..ani..ani...ani..." Baek Hee kept shaking her head she she cried to her heart's desire. Jin Gook went to his friend and hugged her.
 
"Uljima. You don't want to get eye bags tomorrow, right?"
 
***
 
"What happened back there?" Jin Gook asked as he watched Baek Hee drying her tears with her handkerchief.
 
"What happened there is none of your business, Gook-ah. What were you doing down there, by the way? Did you come there to see me get embarrassed?"
 
"M..mwoh?"
 
"Gook-ah, I know you didn't come here to see me. You came here to look for Hye Mi, right?"
 
"Baek Hee-ya.."
 
"You still like her, right?"
 
"Yoon Baek Hee...are you jealous?"
 
Baek Hee looked at Jin Gook with hurt in her eyes. "What does she have that I don't have? WHy is it always her? Why can't you look at me?"
 
"Baek Hee-ya..it..it's not like that..."
 
"Tell me! Tell me!"
 
Jin Gook stood up and paced around the living room. He stopped in front of Baek Hee and looked at her straight in the eye.
 
"Okay, you want to know what's on my mind? Hye Mi was my childhood friend. She was the one who saved me from my loneliness when my parents didn't even care about me. She isn't like you who act all love-sick when I don't look at you. She is confident, and she has talent. You, meanwhile, are second rate!"
 
"M..mwoh?" Baek Hee asked in a whisper.
 
"Mm. I wouldn't wonder why you were always following Hye Mi because you never even have confidence in yourself!"
 
A slap flashed Jin Gook's face.
 
"Geurae? Is that all I am to you? A love-sick fool? Fine! Don't even go to Kirin where I can see you! Get out! Get out!"
 
Jin Gook went out of the house without even bring forced to. But he didn't walk away. Instead, he saw Baek Hee leaning on the door post, covering her face, crying. The guy regretted saying all those things to his former classmate. But if he had to tell the truth, he would do so. He felt sorry for Baek Hee, who spent her life trying to please other people, including him.
 
Mianhe, Baek Hee..I'm such a jerk. Mianhe...