Chapter 8

KyuWook - Be the one you hate

The next day, I spent my time trying to get some work done. Maybe I couldn’t go to work while being like this, but I could do stuff through my computer. At 6 PM, I took a shower and went to my room without caring about putting clothes on for now. I sighed when I saw the bunch of new clothes I had. In the end, I chose a ‘cute’ and white short dress - I didn’t plan to do much tonight and I wanted to look ‘cute’, so maybe I could survive wearing a dress - with white roses to put in my hair after drying it with the hairdryer my sister had given me. I chose white little sandals to go with the rest before I pouted in front of my mirror. I looked too angelic. That wasn’t me. But hey, this body wasn’t mine to begin with, so…

 

I walked around in circles until it was 6:45. Only then did I start putting a few ‘essential’ things in the handbag my sister had given me. ‘If you’re stuck as a girl, better have everything a girl has to have with her at all times,’ she had told me. Which is why I put tissues, money, a pen, some paper, a little metal comb and a napkin, just in case - I still didn’t know if, being a girl, I would have my period just like any other girl, or if the inside of my body was still the same as before - in the handbag before leaving. I locked my door, put the keys in my handbag and went outside.

 

I was waiting for five minutes when random guys approached me.

 

“You’re very cute!” one of them told me.

 

I raised a brow and looked at him with wild eyes. “Repeat that?!”

 

He stopped suddenly, frowned, bit his lip, looked at his friends, unsure of what he had to say next.

 

“Um… you… um… forget it! I’m very sorry!” he stammered before leaving, his friends following him.

 

I sighed and rolled my eyes before concentrating on the street again, trying to recognize Ryeowook’s car. He arrived five minutes before 7 and I smiled when he stopped his car right in front of me.

 

“Hi!” he greeted me. “Didn’t make you wait for too long I hope?”

 

“Nah, I didn’t wait too long”, I smiled. “So, where are we going?”

 

“A nice restaurant on St. Paul Street. Of course, I’m paying.”

 

“That’s so cool.”

 

“No, it’s just normal. A gentleman should never let his lady pay.”

 

I smiled softly and watched as he was carefully driving to Old Montreal. The weather was nice and warm now that we were at the end of June, so we could walk for a while after eating.

 

“Would you mind walking with me after eating?” he asked, making me chuckle when I noticed that he was thinking about the same thing as me.

 

“Not at all. It would be my pleasure.”

 

“Nice. Oh, by the way. You look very lovely in this dress. And those flowers are beautiful with your hair.”

 

I blushed softly. He had noticed?

 

“Oh. Thanks a lot.”

 

“You’re welcome, Miina.”

 

I blushed some more.

 

“Miina? That’s Korean… were you born in Korea?”

 

“Yeah, South Korea. We moved here when I was a kid. Were you born in Korea?”

 

“My parents come from South Korea. I was born here though.”

 

“They must be proud to have such a beautiful daughter.”

 

I bit my lip.

 

“Actually… they’re dead.”

 

His eyes became round and big.

 

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. We had an accident, seven years ago. I was with them and my, um, cousin, we were bringing her home for a few days. My mom was driving. She drove too fast and couldn’t take the curve properly. Both my parents died. I almost died too, but I managed to survive.”

 

“Still, I’m sorry. It must be painful to talk about it.”

 

“It’s okay. Are your parents proud to have a very talented son?”

 

He smiled. “I’ve been busy with work lately. The boss is sick right now, so we have double work to do, meaning that it’s been a while since I last saw them.”

 

“You should go and see them. You never know when… I mean…”

 

“I understand. You never know when death can strike.”

 

“I’m not saying they’ll die soon, okay? It’s just that… while they’re in this world, it’s good to tell them how much we love them.”

 

“Yeah. I’ll call them when I’ll have a minute, and I’ll go see them when I’ll have more free time.”

 

I promised myself to email Siwon so he would let Ryeowook have more free time.

 

Of course, there were so many cars in Old Montreal because of the nice weather that we had to park FAR from the restaurant. But I didn’t really mind it. It wasn’t too hot and the little wind blowing was just strong enough to make us comfortable. I smiled when Ryeowook got out of the car before me to open my door and softly take my hand in his.

 

“My Lady,” he said, bowing softly and making me laugh.

 

“So cool.”

 

“No, it’s normal for a gentleman to do so.”

 

He closed the door behind me and locked all four before his fingers gently slid between mine.

 

“May I do this?” he politely asked.

 

I nodded. “Sure.”

 

We walked, holding hands, in Old Montreal, until we reached the restaurant he had told me about. It was one of those restaurants you could feel would make your purse get a lot lighter right when you entered it. I raised a brow.

 

“Why can I feel that this is going to be expensive?”

 

He laughed softly.

 

“Hey, don’t worry about this kind of thing, okay? I’m the one paying here.”

 

“I can still feel that the food here is expensive.”

 

His free hand softly touched my long brown locks.

 

“Please. Don’t think about it, okay? I’m inviting you. Please just enjoy tonight and forget anything bad that could be on your mind.”

 

I blushed softly as the waitress was showing us our table. I followed Ryeowook and blushed even more when I noticed that the table was a table for two people with candles in the middle. A table for lovers.

 

But what made me become completely red was that I noticed that, though this was only our first real meeting - date -, I was already falling for this gentle, sweet guy, who never stopped being caring and nice.