Chapter 36

Guardian
*Re-uploaded version*
 
Finally introducing two of BEG's members! Sorry for not updating yesterday because of the annoying transition thingy. But I did update for my new story 'You Took Care Of Us, Now Let Us Take Care Of You'. Go check it out if you love EXO! Excuse me for mistakes or confusion. This chappie isn't so interesting, I know. T_T NOTE: Tomorrow I'll be updating my new story and not this one. Just bare with it as I try to adjust myself with two stories. YAY! I have over one thousand views! Thanks so much! :D

 

 

(Alaina's POV)

"Did you really have to dye your hair red?" I questioned skeptically, touching Taemin's locks.

He ruffled his flop of hair, the reddish-auburn hue bold in the light. "I kinda like it. Key umma said it looked cool."

I chuckled softly and said in Japanese, "Whatever you say, ai."

Taemin brightened. "It's getting easier to understand you."

I took his hand in mine and led him out of his bedroom to head downstairs. Everyone else was awake and prepped accordingly. Kai commented on Taemin's hair. Taemin told Kai to get his hair dyed and the latter scoffed, saying his 'y hair was fine'. Then us high schoolers went to school first.

When we bid Sehun and Kai goodbye in the hallway, I had noticed Taemin paused, a crease scrunched between his brows. I waved my hand in front of his face.

"Taemin?"

My soft, worried voice brought him back. He blinked. "I don't understand," he only said.

"What is it, Taem?" Minho asked him. Key and Baekhyun edged closer as the conversation was deemed discreet.

"Our homeroom," Taemin explained, "we have a new teacher."

Key looked puzzled. "Mwoh? A new teacher? Why?"

Taemin bit his bottom lip in vexation. "That's what I'm concerned about. I don't why I suddenly had a forecast of it, but...it's a women. A very..."

"Attractive?" offered Baekhyun.

"Strict?" suggested Minho.

"Uh...both?" Taemin said, he cocked a brow. "It's very peculiar how we suddenly have a new teacher."

Then we comprehended his worries. It was clear if the situation caused Taemin to react unknowingly.

"It's a demon, isn't it?" I muttered sullenly.

Taemin nodded reluctantly. Then he sighed very wistfully, his grip on my hand tightening. Trouble always rebounded back towards me, didn't it?

"Looks like Block B has another plan in motion," mumbled Minho, disgruntled.

Baekhyun glanced at his watch and sighed. "The bell's about to ring. We better go to homeroom and see what happens."

"I really don't want to bring Alaina to the demon," Taemin said through clenched teeth.

"Can't you see if anything will go wrong?" Key asked him.

Taemin was silent as he concentrated. His shoulders slouched the slightest. "Nothing," he breathed. "The demon just pretends everything is normal."

"Then we'll be the same," Key concluded. "Taemin, keep an eye out for her movements. I'll text Onew hyung if I can during class."

"I'll do the same for Kai and Sehun," added Baekhyun.

Taemin nodded stiffly and I looked at him worriedly. I stayed close to his side as we all walked to our class. I greeted Eunmi as casually as I could and it distracted me a bit from the upcoming danger since the teacher hadn't entered yet.

"Jae unni told me we have new teacher today!" Eunmi was saying enthusiastically.

I blinked and thought warily, I know. You shouldn't be excited about it.

"Jae unni says it's a very pretty women," gushed Eunmi and smiled. "I hope she's better than the last teacher. He was so mean and pushy, always giving us so much work."

"Ne," I managed to answer with a bleak smile. Taemin shot me a distressful look, wanting to get me out before...

The door slide open, and everyone glanced up at the clacking sounds of heels hitting the floor. Many people gasped in surprise and awe, stunned by the beauty.

Me, Taemin, Minho, Key, and Baekhyun tensed, eyes zeroed on the lady. She wore a modest outfit, a simple white button-up shirt under a black blazer, and a pencil skirt, but it accentuated her womanly figure and showed off her long legs. Her long hair was in slight waves, cascading past her delicate shoulders, her bangs clipped back into a bump. She wore a bit of make-up - just some blush, lip gloss, and eyeliner, showing off her natural beauty.

That's a demon? I thought, baffled. She's so pretty. But the boys weren't affected by her looks, sitting woodenly in their seats. They kept their eyes trained on the women, as if expecting she would attack.

The demon - er - teacher stood by her spot at the desk, settling her folders down. She smiled very charmingly at the class and I swore I heard swooning.

"Annyeong, dear students," she said in a very sweet, honey-coated voice. "I'm sorry to say that your previous teacher had some family issues and had to move. So from now on, I am your new teacher. My name is Kim Hyojin, but I would prefer being addressed as Jea-seonsaengnim, araso?" She did a playful wink.

"Ye!" chorused the whole class, charmed by the new teacher. She was so informal and fun-loving that they couldn't help but fall for her.

When she opened her eyes, it felt like time slowed down. When she turned her head, her gaze snapped to me and I flinched. But the second passed and she looked up, smiling pleasantly. She lightly clapped her hands.

"Let's begin with the lesson, hm?"

The human students agreed wholesomely.

For once in my life, the lesson in class was interesting and engaging, but I found myself not absorbed in learning. Instead, I was fretting inwardly. I wanted to ask for Taemin's or Key's opinion by secretly passing them a note, but my senses told me Jea would flicker her gaze to me now and then occasionally, and usually I would be the only one who noticed. Jea was a natural actor, and someone who seemed she had a lot of patience.

Explained why she didn't snatch me the first day.

"So scary," I breathed shakily as we exited homeroom. Should I be concerned that I got out alive? That wasn't right.

Taemin had one arm secured around my shoulders. He looked miffed. "She was acutely aware of us, but did nothing."

Minho nodded, troubled. "Unlike most demons, she's bewitching, instead of being secretive."

"I couldn't even text Kai or Sehun," Baekhyun stressed. "She monitors us like a hawk!"

"We'll talk to them during gym, araso?" Key said and we all confirmed with a 'ne'.

 

...

 

During gym, we had another free day as long as we were productive. It was urgent that the boys and I spoke of our dire situation, so the boys casually invited me to shoot some free hoops with them. Ignoring the fangirls' baleful and loathing glares pointed my way, we all spoke in low, hushed tones as we played.

"Guys, I heard there were two new teachers," stated Kai grimly, downcasted.

"I didn't see that," interjected Taemin.

"Only because you saw that we would encounter the first demon," pointed out Minho, half-heartedly shooting a basket. "And you can't see that far in the future."

"Another female?" inquired Key and Kai nodded blandly. Key frowned and made a discontented sound.

"I think she's your last period teacher," Sehun whispered to me.

I paled. "That's not good."

"Aish," mumbled Taemin and looked at Key hopefully. "Did you get a reply from Onew hyung yet?"

Key nodded warily. "He says if they don't do anything, we shouldn't do anything either. We'll talk more when we get home. And Kai will have to teleport EXO-M there so we call all talk."

"Can't we just ditch today?" said Kai, looking at me in concern, wishing I was somewhere safe. I was too rigid, twirling a basketball in my hands as I contemplated.

"Wouldn't that alarm the demons?" put out Baekhyun. "They'll know we're going to counteract."

My head snapped up at the implication. "I'm not going to be under house arrest again." I hated being penned up in limited space. The house may be big and cozy, but to me, it was stuffy and enclosed.

"We'll think of something, sweetie," assured Key, patting my back. But I wasn't convinced.

Eunmi and Jae barely noticed how me and the boys acted for the rest of the day. During lunch, Eunmi animatedly chatted about Jea-seonsaengnim. Blabbering how beautiful she was to be a teacher but more like an model. I half-heartedly replied back. Meanwhile, Key and Minho were peppering Jae with questions about the other new teacher.

"She's also beautiful but with opposites looks than Jea-seonsaengnim," answered Jae, an appreciative shine in her eyes. "She's kinda cool to be a teacher. Very mellow but stern at the same time." She reached out to ruffle Eunmi's hair. "I can't believe some of you guys get both of the new teachers. They're awesome. I heard the other teachers are either dazzled or jealous of them."

"Why? Because they hypnotize the students?" asked Baekhyun dryly.

Jae laughed humorously, not sensing our distaste. "Ne, everyone loves them." Her eyes brightened. "I wonder if they'll be in charge of the summer field trip. We'll get to see how gorgeous they are in swim suits!"

Only Eunmi was the one who was ecstatic by the thought, joining Jae in the idea. The rest of us were dampened.

That's right, it's almost summer, I thought, mentally counting the weeks we had left. About three weeks. That meant I had been in Seoul for about three and a half months now.

Honestly, it felt longer than that.

 

...

 

I dreaded going to last period - at least Kai and Taemin were with me - but I was anxious and fearful seeing the second demon.

I didn't miss how she gazed up from her folder when we passed by her desk. My skin tingled. Gosh, she was pretty. With her plump lips, the fullness of her heart-shaped face, and her long hair in a high updo. Her gaze did look stern but very mysterious. I felt self-conscious near her, like her eyes were boring into my skin.

"Come on," murmured Kai, standing by my side, blocking the demon's view of me. The teacher smiled the slightest in amusement. She probably heard Kai. The three of us sat down in out spot near the back, away from the female demon.

Taemin's eyes were narrowed in focus. Outsiders would think he was pondering, but he was concentrating on seeing the future in different directions. Since he didn't seem so alarmed, I guessed nothing bad would happen in class. And hopefully, nothing would occur outside of class.

"Annyeonhaseyo, class," began the demon in a husky, feminine voice. "My name is Jo Mihae, but all of you will address me as Miryo-seonsaengnim. Understood?" She raised an inquiring brow.

"Ye," replied back the class at her authoritativeness. Me, Taemin, and Kai didn't bother answering, and Miryo seemed to notice it but didn't signal us out.

Miryo smiled faintly and very prettily. She began to pass out assignments. My blood ran cold when she advanced closer to me. Taemin's eyes widened and Kai looked rigid.

"You're the Japanese girl, am I correct?" Miryo asked me coolly.

Not to appear daunted, I silently took a deep breath and smiled at her kindly. "Ne, I am."

Miryo seemed impressed that I talked back. She placed the paper meticulously on my desk. "I hear you receive high marks, I hope you keep up the good work. I want at least one outstanding student."

Other students gasped at the implication they were 'dumb' and casted aside because of me. I had a feeling I'll be called 'teacher's pet' very soon.

My voice was bleaker. "Ne, teacher."

When Miryo passed the papers to Taemin and Kai, I swore she smirked at them, a glint in her eyes. They leveled their gazes at her very defiantly.

I buried my face in my hands. It was a random thought. But do the guardians battle against women?

 

...