Chapter 18

Guardian

*Re-edited version 11/3/12*

GRRRGRGRRGRGRRGRRRR!!!! The website erased the first draft of the chapter and I had loved the beginning! But when I drafted this version I liked the ending and middle better. Life is bullying me! T_T I hoped no one is confused so far and excuse me for mistakes. This chappie has more dialogue than the others. Please leave comments or suscribe because it keeps me going. Two more days until my bro is back and I have to leave this computer...

Disclaimer: Me no own pics, comprende?


 

 

(Third Person POV)

SHINee and Exo-K were waiting silently and worrisomely in the living room of their home. They were all thinking about Alaina, affected at how badly injured she was, wondering if she was any better.

No doubt Taemin was the most affected, and he was not in the living room waiting for his soulmate together with them. Instead he was battling with afflicting emotions. Frustration, confusion, remorse...

When he had returned home, he immediately holed himself in his room and locked the door, not allowing anyone to console him. He missed dinner and wouldn't talk to anyone, not Key or Kai. Key assumed because he was worried sick for his soulmate, but it was more than that.

They had their first fight, something that knocked Taemin off his feet.

Alaina, his caring, loving, intelligent soulmate spent her life in an orphanage. She was an orphan and had no one else but him and SHINee.

Alaina assured him she didn't mind it, but he couldn't imagine it, his soulmate in a dreary, forgotten place all alone where no one thought she existed. Something that irked him was that he hadn't bothered knowing and that he wasn't the first one to know.

He couldn't believe he basically snarled at her when she told him she accepted being an orphan and said it was how she moved on with her 'worthless' life. And now she was saying she wanted to help deal with a demon when all she did was attract danger and hurt herself! Didn't she think about her own welfare?

He was so so sorry he blew up at her. He felt so numb, berating at himself at his unreasoning. Was Alaina crying - because of him? It was their first fight and it stung badder than bad, stabbing him in the chest. He deserved to be dwelling in the dark as his soulmate was living in pain. Physically, mentally, emotionally.

Taemin was such a horrible soulmate. He was the only thing Alaina could have forever and they argued disastrously, only leaving behind damaged feelings and an emptiness.

Downstairs, SHINee and Exo-K waited and waited. It was well into the evening.

Sehun glanced at the clock impatiently. "Shouldn't Onew-hyung and the princess be back by now?"

Jonghyun glanced up. "They should be. It should've have taken-"

They all snapped their heads up when they heard the front door open, then heavy footfalls, and the door being slammed closed. They immediately sprang to their feet and clamored into the entrance hall. Onew was carrying a listless Alaina in his arms, her head buried in his neck, arms curled against her chest, a shopping bag looped around his arm. Instead of wearing her school uniform, Alaina had on comfy, plain clothes.

"Omo! Is my baby hurt again?" Key cried, rushing forward to inspect Alaina. She was softly snoring.

"She's exhausted. She had to have a couple stitches on her gash and has a wrap around her waist. I took her out to eat and bought her a new set of clothes," informed Onew calmly. "I have her medicine and some instructions on how to take care of her."

Minho stepped forward, arms out. "I'll take her, hyung."

"Thanks," huffed Onew as Minho scooped up Alaina in his strong arms. The girl grumbled at the sudden movement, wincing in her sleep. "Take her to her room. She shouldn't be disturbed. The painkiller is the only thing keeping her from pain."

"Ouch," muttered Chanyeol ruefully, twice in the same day.

Key, Sehun, and Kai accompanied Minho has he traveled upstairs without difficulty. Sehun politely opened Alaina's bedroom door and let everyone in.

Minho laid Alaina gently on the bed, took off her shoes, and tucked her in. Key hovered over the girl like a mother, brushing aside her bangs from her serenic face. Sehun lingered by her bedside, wanting to be close but not being a nuisance. He had grown attached and sympathetic towards the sleeping beauty.

And Kai watched from afar, wishing he could be Minho or Key, to comfort Alaina with a touch. The way she looked so vulnerable...he had the urge to protect her. But Alaina was already hurt, and more than once.

Poor Alaina. Poor Taemin.

Behind him, Kai sensed a figure idling by the door but abruptly scurried away. Kai rushed into the hallway to hear Taemin's door shut. He sighed exasperatedly.

That pabo, he thought, biting his lip. He thinks it's his fault she got hurt.

Kai had no idea.

 


...



(Taemin's POV)

He had heard them. He knew Alaina had to have stitches. He knew Alaina was in serious pain. And he wasn't there to take care of her, to tell her he's sorry. But Alaina didn't want to be a damsel in distress, she was strong, putting on a brave face.

Taemin leaned against his door, legs giving out, weakly sliding down onto the cold floor in despair.

Taemin was so stupid, what kind of soulmate was he?

He didn't deserve such a loving, courageous girl like her.

 


...



(Third Person POV)

They finally exited out of her room quietly, letting her sleep in peace. All was silent and cold and bare.

Slowly, Alaina to her side, buried her face into a pillow, and cried.

 


...
 


(Alaina's POV)

Onew was nice enough to let me feign sleep and carry me into the house so I could avoid all the questions and see their sympathetic faces. They were all worried for me, but they didn't know how worried they should be.

I missed Taemin.

I was missing him, his light, his sunshine, his touch. He would be the only one who could console me from my sorrow and my pain. But we had deserted each other with open wounds, unhealed.

I was probably the unlucky charm he received from fate, something that gave him trouble and stress. Was I always to burden someone else? I didn't mean to...

That morning, sunlight streamed onto my face, making me stir and blink open my puffy eyes. My gash was throbbing and annoyingly itchy, my back sore and raw. I felt so inept, as if gravity was pressing me down.

I sensed someone approaching from down the hallway and quickly pretended to still be asleep. Someone opened my door, crossed to my bedside with light-footed steps, and sat on the edge.

Fingers hovered over my cheek. "Sweetie?" ventured Key's voice.

My eyes fluttered opened. I smiled blearily at Key. "Yah, morning." My voice was weak and hoarse.

Key chuckled bleakly and my cheek. "Yah, to you, too. You do know you slept for about fourteen hours. How are your injuries?"

"Itchy and annoying," I mumbled. "My head is swimming and I still feel tired." I tried to sit up and instantly gasped, my air supply exhausted. I began to feel lightheaded at the lack of oxygen.

"Careful there!" cautioned Key, helping me lie down again more comfortably. "The painkiller must've worn off. Here, I'll call Suho to watch over you while I get the medicine, araso?"

I nodded slightly and Key ambled into the hallway and called for Suho. Exo-K's leader instantly appeared.

"Can you watch Alaina for me while I get her medicine and the instructions?" Key asked him.

"Sure, of course," Suho obliged and stepped into my room but rushed over to my bedside as he saw me heaving for air. "What's wrong?"

"I tried to sit up and it hurt like crazy," I gasped, staring up at the ceiling. My fingers curled as I fought the pain. Suho seemed restless, watching me deal with something he could not aid with. He sat in a chair miserably and was quiet. I waited for him to speak, knowing he had something on his mind.

Eventually he spoke up in a steady voice, "Everyone is thinking about revising the plan. They want to exclude you so you can properly recover."

"Why?" I objected. "I'm so close into having Zelo reveal something to me. He talks to me."

"But we are all concerned about your health and safety," placated Suho.

"I just got hurt because of an accident," I dismissed stubbornly. "Zelo always avoids you guys anyways. You won't get close."

"It's because he knows we're guardians," stated Suho. "And...he knows that you're Taemin's soulmate."

I stiffened then sighed. "He's smart, but at first he only hinted that Taemin and I were boyfriend and girlfriend. He must be taking advice from someone else. His accomplice. He's young as a demon to where-"

"-he has to take orders from someone else," affirmed Suho, following my train of thoughts. "Ne, it's likely since demons will send their youngest or sneakiest to gather information and report back to them."

I was quiet for a bit, leveling my breathing. "He has someone watching us," I murmured. "I just know it. He seems to know what to expect and when to hide from you." I turned my head to judge Suho's calm but contemplating face. "You know, if you plan to take him on, you'll be at an advantage together, but he's powers are...counteractive. He's smart enough to resist being killed. I can sense that much, that power residing in him."

Suho raised an interested brow. "You're very good at seeking information. And all derived from snippets you read from nothing."

I gave him a weak smile. "Komawo, I try. Zelo is...different, and I want to learn more from him."

"But you should avoid him for now," advised Suho. "Besides, you're in no condition to be near anymore danger."

I know, I thought bitterly, but I smiled and asked him lightly, "So how was school?"

Suho laughed at my lame attempt to be flippant.

 


...



(Kai's POV)

While he was pacing down the upstairs hallway, he heard his leader's genial laugh echo from a room. From her room to be precise. Curious, he snuck over and hovered by the doorway, peeking at the scene. Suho and Alaina were conversing like old friends. Alaina looked frail and supine on the bed but had her warm, sincere smile present on her face. Her smile was like the gleam in her pretty eyes, so enchanting...

Kai heard footsteps from down the hallway and ducked behind a corridor as Key came into view holding a bag with Jonghyun tagging along, holding a tray of food.

 


...



(Alaina's POV)

Key-umma and Jonghyun-appa tended to my injuries. Key gave me some painkiller pills and coaxed me to eat something, but it rocked and churned down my stomach. Then they cleaned the gash on my head and dabbed it with medicine. Next they re-wrapped the gauze around my waist, applying an ointment on my bruise that left behind a cool-hot sensation. I switched out of my outer clothes into more loosely fitted garments. They helped me lay back down on the bed more comfortably. The medicine and painkiller kicked in, easing me from pain, but not the one in my heart.

"Onew-hyung says he's postponing your Inhuman studies until your head is feeling better," Jonghyun told me. "And he called the cafe and told them you're too impaired to work, much less stand."

I sighed and nodded in understanding. "Araso."

I was useless and immobile the rest of the day. I did nothing with my spare time. I wasn't allowed to pressure my head with heavy thinking or even raise an arm. I would get breathless easily.

So Sehun, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kai stopped by in my room to entertain me. Actually, to get to know me better.

"So how did you and Taemin-hyung meet?" Sehun asked me as they sat on the ground or in a chair in the maknae's case.

I told them in a steady, light tone, "It was my second day here in Seoul and I was walking home from working late in the night. I sensed something stalking me and it meant harm. I ran off and willed myself to be invisible, only learning now that I had used my ES to warp the space in front of me to hide my appearance. But the monster tracked me by scent. I ducked into a alley, hoping it didn't follow after me but it suddenly jumped in front of me. I was so scared, my body rooted to the ground. I freaked out that the demon could speak and it wanted to eat me. I closed my eyes as it lunged but I heard it rear back in pain. Taemin had jumped in between us, a rod of blazing energy in his hand. He killed off the demon easily. He asked if I was okay but I was scared of him, too, thinking he was was a demon in an angel's body."

Kai chuckled. "That sounds like him." His blank yet dreamy gaze never left my face.

I continued, "I went home thinking to myself it was a bad dream and fell asleep. Next day was my first day of school. It was either fate or coincidence that Taemin was in my homeroom class. I was wary of them as SHINee were suspicious of me, thinking I was a demon. Despite Key's warnings, Taemin cornered me at the end of school, demanding who I was. Still frightened of him, I ran off to which he chased after me. He chased me all over the school - that was the longest game of tag that ever existed - so I finally ditched the hallways and ran upstairs all the way to the roof. I was so sick of the chase I screamed at Taemin thinking he was monster to get me. Taemin grabbed my wrist and suddenly the ritual happened. By the time Key and Minho appeared, the tattoos were already branded on our fingers. I passed out from shock. In my slumber, I heard Taemin, Key, and Minho talking about the bond. When I finally woke up, I was laying in a bed at the nurse's sick room. Only Key was around to explain to me about the severity of the bond. In the end I accepted it because we couldn't free ourselves from the situation if we tried. But it didn't matter, I fell in love with Taemin not long after."

Kai blinked in surprise at my words while Chanyeol chuckled humorously. He was absently playing his Baekhyun's pretty fingers, their tattoo rings flickering into appearance once in a while.

"You're story is more theatrical than Bacon's and mine," said Chanyeol with a grin. "Bacon and I met when we were gathered together as guardian trainees. He was one of the newbies. We didn't communicate at first but eventually grew closer, but Bacon wouldn't let me touch him - mostly to tease me. And one day when we did, the ritual activated." He was very expressive, eyes bright with a wide grin on his face. "It was the happiest day of my life."

Baekhyun's cheeks tinged pink. "More embarrassing for me. SNSD was nearby when it happened."

"Who's SNSD?" I asked curiously.

"It's the nickname of the guardian group Girls' Generation," he explained.

Sehun and Kai snickered. "Baekhyun-hyung is infatuated with them," teased the maknae.

"He even has crushes on some of them," said Kai, grinning impishly.

Chanyeol held his soulmate closer as the latter tried to squirm free fruitlessly. "Now those crushes have turned to ash since he has me now."

"That's what you think," Baekhyun said sourly.

"Guys?" sought out D.O.'s voice resonating from the hallway. "Onew-hyung and Suho-hyung are calling for a meeting right now."

The warm smile on my face was wiped clean, knowing what the meeting was about.

Kai bit his lip troublesomely. "But we don't want to leave Alaina all alone..."

"I'll be fine," I lied for their sakes. "I'll just sleep and heal up. Go."

They all left reluctantly, closing the door after them quietly. I frowned, I wasn't going to sleep with all the boys downstairs deciding everything without my opinion.

 


...



(Taemin's POV)

It was mandatory for him to be present in the meeting. They all crowded into the living room, Alaina left alone upstairs. No one said anything to Taemin, seeing his forlorn expression. They assumed he still felt bad. He leaned against the wall off to the side. Quiet and away from the spotlight.

"So what do we do about the demon if Alaina is out of the question to help?" began D.O. Taemin grimaced when he said that.

"We'll have to keep her safe and deal with Zelo ourselves. Maybe by trapping him somewhere," suggested Baekhyun.

"But we don't know where or when to trap him," pointed out Minho.

"Alaina says Zelo has someone watching out for him from afar," put in Suho. "Someone who has been spying on you six since before his appearance."

Key frowned. "I have a barrier here and at school. How does he manage to draw information from us or sneak around without me noticing?"

"Maybe at the cafe or at the university, but I know neither Taemin or Alaina would carelessly give out information in such places," Minho said, crossing his arms.

"Or it's all Zelo," inserted Jonghyun. "He has clearance at the school and has been near Alaina many times. With his skill in ES control, he evades us easily."

"He definitely wants something from her," Kai reasoned. "The way he stalks her and tell us to watch over her..." He bit his lip in vexation. "He would've done something. Kill Alaina for her blood or give her the offer to become a demon. Something."

Taemin cringed at those wretched thoughts.

"Alaina believes Zelo is being ordered around by higher-ups," stated Suho. "It would explain how he hasn't done anything yet. And since he knows we're guardians, he won't risk being killed so quickly. He's waiting for a signal to do something."

"Then we'll keep Alaina in a safe place and deal with Zelo," concluded Chanyeol. "Maybe if we found a way to kill him during school hours..."

Onew shook his head. "Too risky and dangerous with humans nearby."

"Do you think Zelo's been influencing the low-ranked demons in the area?" asked Sehun.

"Ani."

They all glanced up at him in surprise, hearing him talk since Alaina's wreck. He sounded detached and worn. He spoke up again but more distantly, "Zelo implied to me and Kai that he didn't want to be a demon - a monster. Then why would he make other demons? I think Alaina is right when she says there are other demons as high-ranked as him."

Suho pursed his lips and sighed. "It's too bad Alaina's sensory power isn't evolved enough for tracking. She could've gotten a reading off of Zelo and sensed some connections that would lead to his accomplices."

"How far is Alaina in her studies?" asked D.O.

"Not far, only basic. Onew makes her read a lot, mostly about culture and language" Jonghyun informed them.

"I want to teach her some basic ES control but her ES is bizarre and random," Key stressed, frowning. "It flickers..."

"We've experimented with her sensory powers occasionally," said Minho. "But her gifts with dreams is something we can't teach her, it's out of our hands."

Onew was silent as he debated. He glanced at everyone before releasing a loud exhale.

"We shouldn't be teaching her so rapidly. Her life will be more endangered. The spell on her is wearing off more and more as she learns," he finally admitted.

Taemin's head snapped up incredulously. "What? A spell? On Alaina? For how long?" he demanded in rapid-fire speech.

"How come I didn't notice this?" Key said, annoyed because he was outwitted.

"I finally confirmed this when her ES was wild one time and clung to my fingers. I used a Reader and it detected a spell. A protection spell that hides her scent and contains her ES. I mistook this as an abnormality but realized someone put it on her on purpose. But I don't know who," Onew said, perplexed. "She gives off so many signs...seeing how the spell is long-lasting, she had it since she was a mere child..."

"So this ES leakage of hers is the reason she attracts so many demons?" wondered Sehun, eyes widened in realization. "Do you think the demons know about the spell?"

"Highly, if Onew could figure it out," mumbled Jonghyun ruefully.

"So Zelo's appearance has something to do with the spell on Alaina then," deduced Suho. "There's something about her the spell is hiding and the demon's want it."

"Her ES?" wondered Baekhyun. "Even now I can barely sense it."

"Should we run some tests with her?" Key asked Onew.

Onew shook his head. "Ani. Just leave her alone. Maybe...if she touched Zelo, she might see something. Anything."

"No," snarled Taemin. "I'm not letting that thing touch her again."

"Taemin..."

He looked down again, it was the most expression he had since yesterday.

"I think we should consider Onew-hyung's idea," voiced Suho. "Maybe if Alaina got one piece of information that might be helpful for us to track down the demons or even figure out what is the reason behind this blind war."

"I can cast a barrier around her if Zelo attacks," added Key helpfully. "I'll watch from a distance. And Jonghyun can use his silence ability to hide our presence further."

"When will this happen?" inquired Chanyeol, cocking an interested brow. The suspense was getting better and better. "Alaina can hardly stand up."

"Maybe at least a week from now," reasoned Onew. "Alaina's bruise should be faded by then so she can move around and her head will be fine. She's a strong Mentalist."

"Are you crazy, hyung?" Taemin said between gritted teeth.

"Alaina would agree with this plan," he defended.

Taemin huffed. "Because you know why she loves to be self-sacrificing and oh-so-helpful. There are other ways for her to fit into the picture."

Onew understood the underlining message, his eyes tightening. "She has a choice, Taemin. She wants to help. I'm not leaving her out but neither am I allowing her to get hurt. We'll protect her."

"Yeah, like that has been-"

"Taemin, be quiet and listen."

Against his will, Taemin suddenly clamped his lips closed and stood straight and still, eyes set on his leader, not going to fight the order because he couldn't. Only his defying gaze showed different from his obedient stance.

Exo-K shifted uneasily at the use of Onew's powers. Sehun shuddered, seeing it for the first time on a friend. Kai was tense to help him. Minho, Jonghyun, and Key shot each other bewildered glances. Onew usually was placid and unforceful despite his powers. He must be on the edge of the line that marked his patience.

Onew rubbed his forehead as he tried to calm down. He could've used his influence over emotions to placate Taemin, but the boy's emotions were flying everywhere and would've sparked over and over again so ordering him to listen was his only option.

"Taemin," Onew said in a gentle, appeasing tone, "you understand Alaina more than any of us. She doesn't want to feel excluded despite knowing she can wait on the sidelines because she has the strength to. She can help us quicker and without involving or endangering our surroundings and other people. All she has to do is be close enough to Zelo to read something off of him. Just once, whatever she senses, we'll start from there. Key and Jonghyun will be nearby - and if you so choose - you as well. We have to strike them before they make their move first, understand? Nod if you do."

Taemin nodded involuntarily.

Onew released the control over his body and he breathed roughly. He stood rigidly there, his hands curling into fists from retaliating.

"Taemin, you are still young and emotional, but most of all you are still influenced by the effects of the bond. All you want to do is to keep her safe and sound, but sometimes we only have limited choices to choose from. Alaina understands that this is the only way of moving forward. Don't you see it, too?" Onew persuaded with his impelling voice. It was like he was in Alaina's shoes, spilling out her words from his mouth.

Taemin inhaled. "Ne."

"We're here to help, too," spoke up Kai softly from the tense atmosphere. "We see how Alaina is precious to you, bond or not. We all like her, too." Taemin blinked in surprise and Kai added more cheekily, "Just because you love her more doesn't mean you're her only knight in shining armor."

Sehun nodded earnestly. "I can see Alaina would rather be a knight, but she looks beautiful like a princess."

"She's smart not to befall into some demon's icky clutches," added D.O. confidently.

"With us, no demon will ever win," boasted Chanyeol with his broad, bright grin.

"Please tell me we have some plan to initiate," whined Baekhyun jokingly.

Jonghyun clapped his hands. "Then we'll write it out more thoroughly. Who wants to tell Alaina?"

"I will," whispered Taemin from his defeated state. "And I...I have something else to tell her anyway." He locked gazes with Onew meaningfully. His leader nodded back in understanding.

Chanyeol jumped to his feet, dragging Baekhyun with him. "All this arguing got me stiff. Who wants to play some ball?"

Minho stood up. "I'm with you, bud."

Taemin hurried up the stairs as the congregation broke apart. Kai looked after him, sensing something when he had said 'something else to tell' Alaina. Kai followed after him.



...



Taemin stuttered to a halt in front of Alaina's bedroom door and hesitated there. He in a deep breath.

He urged himself with a pep talk, Come on, you can do this. He twisted the doorknob.

Inside, lying recumbent on her bed, was his soulmate. She didn't react to his entrance and he realized she was sleeping. He crept forward with light footsteps, not wanting to disturb her slumber.

Alaina looked so small and vulnerable, like an innocent child engulfed amongst sheets and pillows, seeking solace.

No, she was a wounded angel.

Taemin gingerly sat on the edge of her bed. Up close, he could see the stitched, pink-healing gash on the left side of her head under her thick hair. But it didn't ruin her appearance, not to him. She was always beautiful.

Taemin saw how puffy her eyes were and the crease denting her forehead as she slept. Was she having a nightmare? Did she even sleep last night without him there to soothe her? It made him even more guilty.

He leaned down to press his forehead against hers. Immediately, Alaina seemed to respond by sighing contently and relaxing. Her eyes fluttered. Then they were staring into each other's eyes. One apologetic and ashamed, the other very drowsy and puzzled.

"Taemin?" she murmured sleepily, her voice chiming like a child's. "Am I dreaming?"

Taemin pulled her into a hug, burying his face into her hair. She winced and inhaled sharply, not sure if this was real.

"Mianhae," he mumbled, full of honesty. "Mianhae. Gomenasai."

"When do you speak Japanese?" she murmured, a tiny smile playing at her lips. She enjoyed his comfort.

"Do you forgive me?" he asked - no, begged of her, not letting go. "Because I'll support you and protect you if you want to help bring down Zelo."

"Can I tell you face-to-face?" she asked of him delicately. Taemin only pulled back so they could see each other's faces.

Alaina poked him on the forehead. "I forgive you, Taemin no baka," she said in Japanese.

Taemin bursted out an awkward laugh. "Heh. At least I know what you said. You're a baka, too." He dabbed at the tears from her watery eyes. "Why are you crying? Because I was mad? You should know Onew-hyung knocked some sense into me. I'm not mad at you anymore."

"That's half the reason," she squeaked in a hoarse voice. "The other half is that my back hurts again. Can you get Key-umma?"

"No problem, yeobo," Taemin pecked her forehead and hurried off to call for Key.

 


...