Chapter 3

Family Business

You woke up and looked around the room. Sitting up from your laying position on the floor, you looked to your left and glared at the guy sleeping on the bed. Yong-ing-guk.  You mentally hissed his name. Why were you sleeping in his room? Oh yeah, the told you to. I can’t believe I have to share a room with this ing . Ugh. . Everything. EVERYTHING. It wasn’t that bad though, at least he shared a room with Zelo. You turned to Zelo’s side of the room and looked at him. He offered his bed to you but Yongguk wouldn’t let you sleep there. Mentally scoffing you turned back to look at him. 

I. Hate. Him. So. Much.

*Last Night*

You walked through the door contemplating if you should take it back or not. But, you realized that if you did, that meant you lose the game and your pride was way too big for that to happen. All the boys greeted you as you walked into the apartment.

“Welcome Back~” They all chirped.

Yongguk came out of his room and looked at you. “At least you know how to be on time.” He said looking at the time on his phone.

“Yeah yeah yeah.” You said in response, “Where am I sleeping?” Yongguk looked around and then his eyes landed on the couch. You followed his gaze then looked back at him. ‘You wouldn’t dare.’ You thought to yourself mentally, but it seemed like he just read your mind. He smirked and said what you feared most, 

“You can sleep on the couch.”

All the boys looked at him like he was crazy.

“Umm… Hyung.. Can’t she sleep in our room?” Zelo said looking at Yongguk with puppy dog eyes.

“No.”

“But, she can’t just sleep on the couch forever..” Yongguk looked at Zelo and then back at you.

“Fine.” He said, “Go put your stuff in the room.”

Unwillingly you grabbed your bags and walked into your new room. ‘The couch sounds really good right now.’ You thought to yourself before walking into the room. Your eyes widened in shock. “This room looks like a hurricane just swept through it..” Yongguk put his hand on your shoulder and smiled at you.

“Have fun cleaning it up.”

“WHAT?! ME?! WHY?!” You screamed looking at the mess that laid before you.

“Because,” He stated in a matter of fact tone. “If you’re going to sleep on the floor, it’s going to need to be clean. Obviously.” He then proceeded to push you further into the mess. “Have fun.” He walked out the front door of the apartment.

“BANG YONGGUK!!”

And that is how that went. Your body ached from all the cleaning you did yesterday. Groggily you stood up from your spot on the floor and made your way into the bathroom. After brushing your teeth and washing your face, you walked back to the little bed you made on the floor and sat down. You checked your phone for any messages.

 

~ 1 New Message~

Yo.
Where are you? I went to your apartment but all your things were gone… What the hell did you do now?

-Jung Sumin

You couldn’t help but laugh a little at the text message. Sumin always did know when something was wrong, whether you told her or not. She just knew. Sumin was your cousin and bestfriend. She knew everything and anything about you. Unfortunately, she was also dragged into the whole family gang business. Sumin was always flying in and out of Korea, but apparently she was back. She was the one that usually went with your mother on “business trips.” But that’s not what bothered you most, it was the fact that she was only 16.

How could your mother make your 16 year old cousin do her dirty work. Sure, it pissed you off that you had to handle all the dirty work in Korea, but your little cousin? You could never understand your mother. After your father’s death, she transformed into a totally different human being. No longer compassionate, kind or patient. Instead, she was cruel, ruthless and craved nothing but power. Sighing, you thought about how you could possibly explain your situation to Sumin.

 

You texted her back:

                Suminie~ When did you get back in Korea? How long are you staying? Ahh.. Unnie got herself into a sticky situation….

-______

 

                I got back last night, and I’m staying as long as I want. Your mom decided it would be better if I stayed here just in case things got out of control. What. Did. You. Do. -_-

-Sumin

 

                Well.. You know that small gang I asked you to help me  look info up on? BAP?

-_____

 

                Yeah… What about them… What the hell did you do..

-Sumin

 

                Well… I may have accidentally moved in with them and they might not know who I really am…

-_____

“Who the hell are you texting at this time in the morning?” You heard Yongguk groan as he turned over to face you. You looked at him and stuck your tongue out.

“Don’t worry about it.”

He glared at you, “I’m the leader. I worry about everything you guys do.”

After rolling your eyes, you stood up and headed toward the door.

“Where are you going?” He said sitting up.

“Chill. I’m just going to go sit on the balcony.” Yongguk just scoffed and laid back down on his bed and turned his back toward you. Quietly, you slid the glass door to the balcony open and then closed it as soon as you stepped outside.

RING.

Jumping a little bit at the volume of your ringtone, you looked at the caller ID. You saw that Sumin was calling you and you were debating if you should answer or not. If I answer she’ll probably yell, but if I don’t answer she’ll yell for sure. Either way, she’s going to yell. I might as well just answer it and get this over with. Letting out a defeated sigh, you answered the phone.

“Aye. Wassup?”

“DON’T YOU ‘AYE WASSUP’ ME. ARE YOU ING CRAZY? WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL. HOW DID YOU EVEN. WHAT?!” Removing the phone from your ear you sighed.

“Calm down Sumin. Everything’s under control.. For now..”

“FOR NOW. BUT WHAT ABOUT WHEN THEY FIND OUT. YOU KNOW THAT YONGGUK GUY HATES YOUR GUTS.”

“Well.. Technically, he hates the guts of the bosses daughter.. He doesn’t know who I am. So…”

“Don’t get all smart on me. You got yourself into some ing trouble. How are you getting out of this one?” Looking at the street beneath you, you started thinking about it.

“Honestly..” You started off. “I don’t know. I figured, I’d cross that road once I got there..”

“You can’t always do that.”

“Do what?”

“Think of a way out last minute.”

“Why not? It hasn’t failed me yet.”

“You’re still the same old you. Did you know that? Not listening to anyone, and doing what you please. Ahh. Really. Grow up a little!” You laughed into the phone.

“You know me too well Suminie~ You know me so well that you know that I’m not going to listen to anything you’re saying right now.” You heard a sigh over the phone.

“Yeah yeah yeah. I know. Just.. Don’t get yourself killed alright? I don’t need you ending up in the hospital again.” With a blank expression you looked at the bird sitting on the ledge of the balcony.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. I know what I’m doing.” The bird looked at you, with the same blank expression you had.

“Yeah sure.. Do you have time today? Why am I even asking.. Meet me at the park.” The bird seemed to be mocking you almost. Taunting you. It jumped off the ledge and moments later soared into the sky. It was free, it could come and go as it pleased, but you, you were stuck. Forced to stay here.

“Yeah sure. I’ll be there in an hour.”

“Alright, see you then. Oh, and ___.”

“…Yeah?”

“I love you.” Smiling into the phone, you stopped paying attention to the bird.

“I love you too.” Sumin then hung up the phone and you looked up to the sky, if only you could really do what you pleased.

Sighing, you walked back into the room you shared with the two boys. You tried getting ready as quietly and quickly as possible. The last thing you needed was Yongguk to question you again. Before you could open the room door, Yongguk’s voice stopped you in your tracks.

“Where do you think you’re going.” Biting your lip, you turned around. Clearing your throat you met his eyes, he looked at you with a lazy expression.

“I’m going out to meet a friend.” His expression seemed to change, he seemed almost annoyed.

“What’s his name?” Taken back by the question it took you a moment to register what he had asked.

Her name is Sumin and she’s my cousin.” Yongguk’s eyes widened and he looked to the side, pretending to be looking at something outside his window. “Don’t stay out for too long.”

Rolling your eyes you opened the door and before stepping out you said to him, “Your blinds are down!”

...

Walking to the park, you saw Sumin sitting on the bench. Her hair was long as always, but it seemed lighter than last time. She was skinny but not too skinny, a little taller and tanner. She looked up from the book she was reading and put it in her bag when she saw you making your way toward her. You sat down on the bench next to her,

“Still like reading, huh.” Sumin rolled her eyes,

 

“Yeah, you should try it sometime.” You laughed and replied. “Nah. Reading seems boring, I like going on missions better.” And with that, Sumin frowned at you.

It was true. Ever since you got into the family business all you did was go on missions, and going on missions usually resulted in a lot of people getting killed. It was just what you did, it was how you were raised. After your father died, your mother had you trained to be the best assassin S.C had, and she succeeded.

“You should get a new hobby.” Sumin’s voice broke you from your thoughts. Smiling, you looked at her,

“Let’s go get something to eat.” She agreed and you two made your way to the little restaurant you both loved eating at growing up. After you two finished your food, you decided to sit there for a little bit. 

“So, how’s mom?” Sumin looked at you with sorrow filled eyes.

“The same as always..” You frowned, and Sumin continued. “She still wants complete power over South Korea, and..” Sumin seemed to avoid eye contact and looked down at the table instead. You looked at her with curious eyes.

“And?” Sumin hesitantly continued on.

“She’s recruiting younger and younger members. The youngest one so far only 12 years old ___...” Unable to comprehend what was happening, you shook your head.

“What? 12 years old? Is she crazy?!” Furious, you started yelling.

“Calm down.” Sumin said, “People are looking.” After you got your breathing back to normal, you looked up at Sumin.

“Is that why she didn’t let me go with her? Because she knew I would’ve done something to stop all this bull?” Sumin nodded her head.

“She knew you’d get mad, so she told me to go instead.”

“You didn’t try stopping her?”

“She didn’t listen to me ___.” Starting you get furious again you said to Sumin,

“Let’s go before I accidentally kill the next annoying person I see.” And with that, the two of you made your way out of the restaurant and toward your old apartment.

After letting yourselves in, you sat down on the couch. “I can’t believe her. She’s can’t ing do this. 12 year olds shouldn’t be in gangs! They should be being kids! Going to school! Not learning how to ing kill someone!!” Sumin sighed and agreed with you. “Don’t you need somewhere to stay.” You said to Sumin trying to forget the situation at hand.

“Yeah, but I can figure something out.” You looked at her like she was stupid.

“Um. Hello idiot. My apartment is completely empty. Just stay here!”

“Oh yeah!” Sumin exclaimed happily. “Wow, I guess you aren’t as irresponsible as you pretend to be.”

You laughed and leaned back into the couch. “So tell me.” Sumin said also leaning back. “How is it with those boys?” You groaned and looked up at the ceiling, Sumin did the same.

“Actually, the only one I have a problem with is Yongguk. The other boys are such sweethearts, I almost feel bad about lying to them.” Sumin laughed,

“You almost feel bad? Wow. They must be really good to you, you never feel bad about anything.”

“Yeah..” You giggled. Sumin looked at you from the corner of her eye.

“Did Yongguk fall for you yet?” You looked at her like you didn’t know what she was talking about. “Oh come on,” She said sitting up. “I know as well as you do that you’re a playgirl. And Yongguk definitely sounds like a target.” You smirked remembering the game you were playing with him.

“Acutally…” You started.

...

“WAAH!” Sumin screamed while covering . “So, basically, you guys are trying to make each other fall in love?!?” You put your hand on your chin and looked at her,

“I guess so.. Yeah..?” Sumin looked at you like you were crazy,

“Yaah. Are you stupid or something? Stuff like that, it never works out! Something bad is bound to happen. Haven’t you seen dramas!” Rolling your eyes you flicked her in the head,

“Yah. Who are you calling stupid.” Sumin rubbed the spot that you flicked and looked back up at you. “This isn’t a drama dummy.” She pouted and pointed an accusing finger at you,

“Yeah. But still. This is not a good idea at all.” You just shook it off,

“Look. Whatever happens, happens. But one things for sure. I’m not going to be the one in love~” Sumin rolled her eyes this time and the TV.

“Look,” she said. “I just have a bad feeling about this. I mean, it isn’t really logical that TWO people who with people’s emotions can just suddenly end up playing a stupid game about falling in love and NOT end up falling in love.”  With an annoyed sigh you said,

“Whatever.” Getting up from the couch you headed toward the door. “I should be getting back before Yongguk gets his in a bunch.” Sumin laughed and tore her eyes away from the TV.

“Alright. I’ll text you later. Oh, and if you’re going to win this stupid game, stop arguing with him and get him to like you.”

“You’re right. I need to work my charm.” You said wiggling your before walking out the door.

On your walk home, you stopped by at the grocery store and decided to buy some basic foods that everyone should have. “All these boys have at home is ramen, ramen, ramen and more ramen.” You mumbled to yourself. After buying everything you needed to make a nice lunch for everyone, you walked home.

Yongguk, you thought to yourself. I hope you’re ready to fall in love.