08.

Little by Little - because you stay -
JUNG.yonghwa
 
The whole university is getting all curious by the recent gossip about a new student who was seen with Jung Aerin lately. The gossip has reached the lecturers as well.
 
I never really paid attention to it since Aerin has skipped all of her classes this week; she even skipped my class yesterday even though she did come to the university.
 
Since I don't really believe in rumor, I don't want to think that this new student is really a scary, impolite, and cold guy. People might have added whatever they want in the spreading rumor.
 
Maybe I need to ask Jung Aerin herself the next time I meet her.
 
"He is really a quiet student," Kim Kibum, another lecturer who teaches cooking class, comments casually when the others asked him about the new student who takes his class. "And his cooking is really bad."
 
I smile secretly, listening to their conversation. Lecturers are indeed people with curiosity; human are just too strange.
 
That goes for me as well.
 
It's tiring to blend in with people who don't share same mindset with me. What's with having a faith on students but you talk about their mistakes behind them?
 
Environment really changes someone in a way that we never thought is possible.
 
Faking a smile is not something new for me now. Giving sweet words is not something difficult for me now. Speaking lies is not something that makes me regret nowadays.
 
Why did I even change?
 
Ah, right, because of that woman.
 
"His name is Jung Jinyoung, right?" another lecturer chirps in, mentioning the new student's name. "I wonder if he is a relative for Jung Aerin."
 
Jung Jinyoung?
 
"Well, well," I murmur to myself. "What a small world it is."
 
I wonder what he will say if he knows that I'm working here... and Aerin actually takes my class every week.
 
If he is the same Jung Jinyoung I have in my mind, it will be the first time I meet him after eight years.
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
"Then I guess I will dismiss today's meeting then," I clasp my hands and give a smile to all of the students. "Let's do our best for the biggest festival in the history of our university."
 
The second meeting which includes both art clubs and music clubs finally finished. To be honest, I really want to reject it since Kahi is the one who recommended my name.
 
She knows that I once joined music club during college days. Even though I'm a lecturer for cooking class, the board of directors finally agreed to let me be the representative while Mr Nam is on his leave.
 
Besides my little sister will be featured in the festival as one of the painters. I just need to play along for a while.
 
"Oppa," Eunji approaches when the others have left. "Are you going back now or..."
 
"Give me ten minutes," I retort, checking the document quickly. "Let's buy something for our dinner tonight, okay?"
 
"Sure!" she chirps happily. She turns around and tells me that she will wait for me outside because she wants to talk with Chorong first.
 
"Ah, Eunji," I call her name and she stops on her track. She turns around, waiting for me to say something. "Do you know about the new student named Jung Jinyoung?"
 
Eunji nods simply and replies, "I've met him twice but I never really talked with him. Is it about his relation with Jung Aerin?"
 
My lips turn into a curve, "Do you still believe  that Aerin is the bad girl, Eunji?"
 
"It's not like that...," Eunji pouts, sighing heavily. "I don't really know her so I can't really say anything about her."
 
I nod in understanding and tell her to wait for me outside. After Eunji leaves the room, I take out my phone and find a name on my contacts list.
 
I press the call button and put the phone next to my ear, waiting for the person on the opposite line to pick my call.
 
"Hello," the girl answers my call calmly.
 
I can't hold the urge to smile when I hear her calm voice, "Let's meet up tomorrow, Aerin."