07.

Little by Little - because you stay -
JUNG.yonghwa
 
"Jung Songsaenim," Park Jungsoo, one of the lecturers from art department approached me. "Are you busy?"
 
I shook my head and put down my pen, "Not at all. What is it, Park Songsaenim?"
 
It's my second semester of teaching here and I actually befriended almost all lecturers quickly. I even had someone who was more than just a colleague after three months.
 
A new year had begun and I was checking the students' name of my class this year when Jungsoo started to ask me about a student named Jung Aerin, a name that caught my attention in instance.
 
It's a lie if I didn't hear about the news which told the public about a girl who almost killed a man. It's a bigger lie if I wasn't surprised with the shocking news.
 
There was a little bit chaos regarding about this news. Some students pulled prank on her, teasing her, mocking her, playing stupid jokes on her, just because they believed the news.
 
Even though the polices had clarified that it was a self-defense act, I guessed the world just believed what they wanted to believe.
 
Wasn't human a strange creature?
 
"She does take my class," I answered Jungsoo calmly and it's obvious that he was curious to hear more, "but my class will start next week so, well, you can't expect me to say anything now."
 
He grinned bashfully and said that Jung Aerin once took his class before. Jungsoo never thought that a young girl like her would do such cruel things.
 
"Looks like cute girls  are not always good girls," he laughed it off and then excused himself, heading to his own desk.
 
I just smiled as my reaction but another thought was running in my mind.
 
Who was he to decide that she was cruel? Who were they to judge her, to ashame her, to despise her? Who was she to receive the bad treatment from everyone?
 
I didn't understand the lecturers. Weren't we supposed to help students from this kind of case, encouraging them? Then why people kept jumping into their own conclusions?
 
They said one mistake could turn your world upside down.
 
Was it fair?
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
The sun is shining brightly outside but I'm not in the mood to walk under the sun. I just stay in the library, drowning myself in the new recipe book.
 
Being a lecturer, or more likely a trainer, for the cooking class in the university is surely not a common job for a man like me. However cooking is my hobby and I love my job.
 
"I know you're here," a voice grabs my attention. She leans to the table, right next to me, with crossed arms. "Can't get enough with cooking, eh?"
 
"Park Songsaenim," I call out her family name calmly, flashing her a smile. "What a coincidence to meet you her. Can I help you?"
 
Kahi frowns, giving me an unhappy look, "Even though I still keep calling you with your name, you still don't want to call me the way you did before, do you, Yonghwa?"
 
"We should remain professional," I return my gaze to the book, flipping the page. "I thought you've moved on after months."
 
She slams the table with anger as she pulls my collar with her other hand so she can look at my face, "Don't try to act as if we have nothing in the past!"
 
"It's library. Someone will come if you speak that loud," I retort but she shuts me off by crashing her lips on mine; she's always this aggressive.
 
"I know that you still love me, Yonghwa," she parts our lips and lets go of my collar. "I miss you. Why can't we go back, Yonghwa? I-"
 
She stops when I just chuckle at her words. I prop my chin on palm, looking back at her, "Even if you ask me a thousand times, I will tell you a thousand times, Kahi."
 
I close the book and stand up from my seat, "I'm not going to return to you."
 
I put the recipe book back to its shelf then walk out from the library, not even bothering if she follows me or not.
 
Maybe I have history with her but that doesn't mean my future is all about her.