06.

Little by Little - because you stay -
JUNG.eunji
 
"Huah, I'm late!" I grab my jacket and storm out from the house. "I'll go first, Oppa! See you later!"
 
"Be careful on your way!" my brother replies, keeps reading the newspaper. He is still enjoying the breakfast while I'm already in a rush.
 
Today the first meeting for our annual art festival will be held and I'm one of the selected crews. However I stayed up late last night to finish my painting.
 
It's the painting I want to hand over for the art festival. I still haven't managed to finish it because it's difficult... in one and another reason.
 
I want to portray a mother with her child on the canvas but I can't do it good enough. I don't have the imagination to do it.
 
Is it because I never felt the love from a mother?
 
"There is a new announcement for all art clubs," Miss Park, our counselor for painting club, clasps her hands to get our attention. "It's a little bit sudden but I guess we can make it this year."
 
The meeting is delayed for an hour and we have no idea what's the reason is. We're already gathered in the meeting room long before Miss Park stepped in.
 
"Our annual art festival is the biggest festival our university always holds every year. This time we're trying to combine it with our second biggest festival," she explains briefly. "The music festival."
 
The students start to whisper, wondering why the sudden decision is made. I'm one of them actually.
 
"It never happened before," I pout and turn to Chorong, "but I think it will be fun, right, Chorong?"
 
"So we're going to work together with music club?" Chorong looks excited as well. "Wow, this year's festival will be the biggest in our history!"
 
Miss Park smiles at our enthusiasm, "Now, now, listen clearly. There is a little problem though."
 
We zip our mouths and listen to her again, "Mr Nam, the counselor for music club is currently taking his leave because his wife is going to give birth."
 
Ah, he will have a child. It's a happy news.
 
"So we're going to choose someone else as his representative until he returns," she glances at her wristwatch. "He should be here soon..."
 
All of us start whispering again, making a guess about who 'he' is. I try to think about all the lecturers in music department.
 
The door opens up and we turn our heads to the person who just steps in with a wide grin, "Ah, sorry, I'm late."
 
"Eh?" I don't hide my surprise when I see him taking a stand next to Miss Park, introducing himself cheerfully.
 
Chorong gasps and mutters, "Your brother will be the counselor for music club?"
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
I lean against the wall, waiting for the others to leave the meeting room. When the last student has left after having a quick discussion with my brother, I straighten my body.
 
He walks out from the room and closes the door behind him, "Ah, Eunji. Are you waiting for me?"
 
I cross my arms, demanding an answer for him, "Since when did you have interests in music club, Oppa?"
 
He grins and ruffles my hair as if I'm a little kid, "Since whenever, Eunji. Aren't you proud?"
 
"How many things are you still hiding from me?" I stick out my tongue before puffing my cheeks as an act. "You don't even tell your own sister!"
 
He laughs happily, "It's because I want to see this reaction from you. It's priceless, Eunji."
 
Being full of tease and playful as always. My brother never changes.
 
"Yonghwa!" Miss Park calls him casually from the end of the corridor. She waves to him, "We still have meeting with the others. They're waiting for us."
 
"Okay!" he responds and then looks at me again. "I'll see you later at home then. Please take care of me, the young princess from painting club!"
 
He messes my hair once again before leaving me with a smile.
 
It feels good somehow to have a brother who works as a lecturer in my university and now we're going to work together for the festival.
 
It will be fun.