05.

Little by Little - because you stay -
JUNG.eunji
 
It was the start of my second year in college and everything was going well. I had my packed up routinity as a part of painting club and my grades were good enough.
 
A rumor was aroused during the holiday after our last days of second year. I didn't know who started it or whether it's true or not but, in no time, the whole university knew about it.
 
So there was one student named Jung Aerin. We didn't take the same major so I never actually met her until curiosity took over me.
 
We shared the same family name yet we're not related at all. Jung was a pretty common family name so I didn't really bother about it.
 
I was in the painting room when Chorong and the others entered with serious look. They were discussing about Jung Aerin and fear was obvious on their faces.
 
"What's wrong?" I put down my paintbrush. "Did something happen?"
 
"Ah, no. It's just...," Chorong stopped and exchanged looks with Naeun. "There is a rumor about Jung Aerin, a student from the Graduate School of International Studies. It's..."
 
She stopped again, looking unsure about whether to continue the conversation or not. I tilted my head, wondering what's up with this Jung Aerin.
 
"She... I heard she almost killed someone," Chorong whispered. "It happened during the summer holiday. They said she stabbed a man with knife at a bank."
 
I gasped in disbelief. Naeun then added, "The police said it's a self-defense act so she is not arrested but the witness said she was smiling when she did it."
 
"It's scary!" Chorong squeaked. "I can't believe that we have such a girl in our university!"
 
Day by day passed and the rumor spread in different versions. I heard people said that she was a serial killer. The others said she could curse people. Some also said that she had split personalities.
 
One day Chorong asked if I wanted to see Jung Aerin. It became difficult to find her because she often skipped classes nowadays.
 
Chorong found her at the backyard, reading a book alone. After assuring me that we're just going to take a peek of her secretly, she agreed to accompany me.
 
At first I was surprised when I saw Aerin for the first time.
 
She was nothing I imagined before. She was just a normal girl with light blue shirt and jeans, reading a book on the bench calmly. Was she really the one people rumored about?
 
I'd never got the chance to talk to him. Everyone warned me not to get close to her because who knew what would happen to me.
 
Once in a while, a guilty feeling struck me when I walked pass her.
 
Did she deserve this kind of treatment from all of us?
 
 
❖❖❖❖❖
 
 
"He just moved from London and he's really good in English!" Chorong tells me with excitement. "I just saw him yesterday but he's not with Jung Aerin."
 
We're at the cafetaria and Chorong is still trying to give me more information about Jung Jinyoung, the new transferred student who took the Graduate School of International Studies, just like Aerin.
 
She said that it's been three days since he started his study here but rumors are already everywhere, thanks to his unordinary behavior.
 
No one really wants to get close with Jung Aerin. Some are afraid but there are people who despise her with all their might.
 
She became the most well-known student in our university... not in a good way though. Actually I think the citizens also know about this issue since the incident occured at a public bank.
 
It's even appeared in newspaper and television but her name is hidden. Come to think of it, it's been a month but everything still hasn't changed.
 
That's why when Jung Jinyoung was seen with Aerin, it became a big news. Is it because he knows nothing about Aerin's issue or he knew her beforehand?
 
I decide to listen to Chorong, agreeing with whatever she says until the break time is over. We return to our own classes and continue until my schedule is finished.
 
When I'm on my way to the club room, my attention stops on a guy who just walks pass me. It's the one who I bumped to two days ago; still has the cold expression like before.
 
He suddenly stops and I flinch a little. Before I even think about anything, I bow to him and mutter loudly, "I'm sorry!"
 
Wait. Why am I apologizing to him?
 
No. It's not that. When I apologized to him, someone said the exactly same word like me. It's a girl.
 
"Ah," I look up to see the girl who just straightened her body as well. I cover my mouth with disbelief, recognizing her as Jung Aerin.
 
The guy gives me a frown before he sighs heavily, "Stop following me around. I've told you. I don't want to join any club."
 
He turns around and continues walking away. Aerin catches up with him, having a small smile on her face, "But you love music, Jinyoung. I know you do."
 
They walk out from the building and disappear at the corner while I stand alone with the confusion.
 
Jinyoung.
 
That's Jung Jinyoung?!