Chapter 5.

I'd Wait An Eternity For You

Your condition has worsened over the past week, you lost over ten pounds from the therapy alone and there is no longer hair left on your head to fall. You refused to look at the mirror, your pasty skin and hollow cheeks frightened you. You kept a hat on at all times and made sure to wear a mask if a different nurse came into the room. You weren’t comfortable with looking so vulnerable in front of a stranger. At this moment of your life, weakness is something you learned to despise. Although you were growing weaker, you continued to keep track of how you felt and the thoughts that occupied your mind in your diary. The determination in your heart to live for Yixing was often written on those pages and helped you fight. It made you wonder if you were strong enough to win this long battle. You opened your mouth as your doctor his flashlight and peered into the back of your throat. He was doing another one of your daily checkups when your phone began to ring. He gave you a knowing look before leaving the room, you had told him about Yixing during one of your therapy sessions.

 
“Hello?” Not only did your voice sound hoarse and fragile but it had a breathy tone to it as well.
 
Peiyun? Is that you? Are you okay?”
 
“Yea, my cold has gotten worse but I’m fine.” You could hear Yixing sigh slightly on the other line.
 
“Please take care of yourself okay? Drink lots of water and wear more layers when you step outside the house. You wouldn’t want to get worse now do you?”
 
“I know, don’t worry, I’m taking care of myself. Now would you care to tell me why you’re calling?”
 
“Oh right! Peiyun! Is there a computer or laptop near you right now? My new teaser is uploading!” A large smile formed on your face as you turned to the laptop next to your bed.
 
“Yep, I’ll turn it on right away.”
 
“I can’t wait till you see it, I choreographed most of that. I hope you like it.”
 
“Of course I will, in fact, I bet I’ll love it.” The screen on your laptop and you began to type Yixing’s stage name “Lay” and “teaser” into the search bar. A video called “EXO Teaser 12_KAI & LAY” popped up right away, there were already three hundred views and the video had only been uploaded minutes ago.
 
“I found it, I’m going to watch it right now okay?” You clicked play and another song with heavy beats started to sound. You looked at the bottom left hand corner and took note of the song title, “Two Moons”. You brought your attention back to Yixing and was mesmerized by his dancing. He and his band mate, Kai, danced wonderfully together. From their sharp movements to synchronized dancing, everything was perfect. You stared at the screen in both admiration and pride.
 
“Yixing, that was absolutely amazing!”  
 
“You really think so?!”
 
“Yes, of course I do, I loved it, your dancing has improved and you were already amazing to begin with.”
 
“Thank you Peiyun, I’m so relieved to know you liked that.”
 
“Your hard work is paying off Yixing.” Yixing’s next reply took you by surprise.
 
“Thank you Peiyun, how about you? I never got a chance to ask you about your life due to all of my hectic schedules. How’s University in Canada? You must be working hard to get your teaching certificate right now if you keep getting sick.”
 
Hm? Oh I uh... Yeah. I haven’t been getting enough sleep because of my homework but it’s alright. Like you always say, the hard work is worth it if you’re doing something you love right?” That had only been partially a lie, you are working hard right now but not for something you love, you’re fighting a battle for the people you love.
 
“True, I understand you one hundred percent and support you in your goals but don’t put your health at risk okay? Jia You, Peiyun ah! I hope the two of us reach our dreams together.” You felt it again, that sense of emptiness and pain that refuses to leave your heart once it occupies the space there.
 
“Yeah, I hope so too Yixing.”
 
“Well, I have to get going now. I miss you Peiyun, I can’t wait until the day that I get to see you again. I love you.” Love. Of all people, why did you get chosen to get this disease? You never asked for much, all you ever wanted was to live your life with the person you love.
 
“Bye Yixing, I can’t wait either. I love you too.” As you hung up you were left with the contrasting feelings of warmth and emptiness yet again. You set the phone down stared at the screen in front of you. You were so happy for Yixing but a part of your selfish heart wished that he was next to you right now. Replaying the video one last time you closed your laptop and set it on the table. Your head started to feel dizzy and your throat grew parched. You reached out for the cup in front of you slowly but still lost your grip. The cup fell from your hands and smashed into the floor breaking off into a million smaller pieces. Frustrated, you slipped out of your blankets and tried to get off of your bed to clean up the mess you made. Before you could do so on your own though, your mother was already racing into the room from all the noise the smashing glass created.
 
“Don’t get out of bed sweetie, I’ll get that for you.” You looked down at your mother who now had two faces from your dizzying headache. Useless. You couldn’t even get out of bed to clean up a broken cup. Absolutely useless. You were feeling more and more of that these days and nothing could take this pain away from you.