Chapter 10.

I'd Wait An Eternity For You

You opened your eyes to the sound of your heart monitor beeping slowly, the ticking of the clock and the rough inhale and exhale of your breath from your oxygen mask. Everything sounded much louder than usual, giving you a headache on top of your numb body. Your eyes scanned the room and you realized that it was different from the one you usually stay in. You tried moving your head and with much difficulty realized that this is a part of the emergency ward. You closed your eyes and traced your memories, remembering the events that occurred today. Your stomach didn’t hurt anymore but you’re assuming that it’s due to how numb your lower half felt, you couldn’t even feel your toes. You continued to take in shallow breaths and looked down at your right hand; your mother is clutching your hand with her eyes close, her face stained with tears. No matter how many times you saw her cry you could never get use to the guilt and pain that invaded your heart. You moved your thumb lightly across the palm of your mother’s hand. I’m so sorry.

 
You had fallen asleep again without even realizing it yourself. By the time you woke up your parents were both awake, sitting on chairs to your right and clutching your hand. Yixing’s mother is here as well, resting on the couch while talking on the phone quietly, your ears immediately picking up on her conversation, you heard Yixing’s name.
 
“I know, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. Yixing, you can’t come here now! You have an interview to attend tomorrow, Peiyun would definitely not be happy if she finds out. How would you get here anyway? You have no means of transportation, your managers definitely can’t drive you here when they have to drive your members and taking the bus would be chaotic by yourself, imagine all the fans that would surround you and the amount of people that would actually follow you here to the hospital. They’d be a disturbance to Peiyun. What? NO! You’re not taking the train yourself at three in the morning. You and I both know how dangerous the trains are at that time. Yixing don’t you hang up on me, Yixing!”
 
Guilt, once again the feeling of guilt enveloped your entire body. You opened your eyes once Yixing’s mother shut her phone off and looked at your parents.
 
Peiyun! You’re awake! Oh sweetie, I was so scared, how are you feeling? Does your stomach still hurt?” You shook your head lightly before knitting your eyebrows together. This is odd.
 
Peiyun, what’s wrong?” Your father spoke this time. You didn’t feel any pain in your stomach; you couldn’t feel your lower body at all. You started to panic and so did your parents as your heart monitor beeped quickly.  Your mother slammed onto the red button and the nurses rushed in promptly.
 
“We don’t know what’s wrong but Peiyun’s heart is beating really fast all of a sudden!” You were in a state of panic, there’s no way the medication would last this long.
 
Peiyun, calm down, and let me take a look at you alright?” It’s the head nurse; nurse Lee has been taking care of you for a while now. She placed her hand on yours lightly and waited for you to calm down before ordering the other nurses to check for any problems.
 
“Nothing seems to be wrong here, she’s the same as she was yesterday.” One of the younger nurses spoke first and looked at you.
 
Peiyun, are you in any pain?” Nurse Lee looked at you tenderly and you shook your head.
 
Peiyun, I’m going to pull your oxygen mask lightly for you to tell me what’s wrong since we can’t seem to find it okay?” You nodded your head as she lifts the mask from your face.
 
“I can’t feel my legs.” The moment those words left your lips nurse Lee got up.
 
“I’ll go get the doctor right now. Don’t worry Peiyun, he’ll find out what’s going on.” You nodded, acknowledging her words, of course he would. You could never ask for a better doctor.
 
Moments after nurse Lee left the room your doctor came in, a worried expression displayed on his face. He began your body check while your parents and Yixing’s mother stayed outside, they must be so scared right now.
 
“It’s just as I have suspected the moment they brought you here. Peiyun I have some news for you and this isn’t good news at all, should I bring your parents in and share it with all of you together?” Unlike before you shook your head this time; you wanted to hear this on your own.
 
“Alright then. Peiyun, your lower body is paralyzed. Your cancer started to spread to the other parts of your body which includes your stomach and spinal cord. I’m sorry to say this but even if we were to perform surgery on the tumors in your throat and stomach you won’t be able to heal a hundred percent due to the forming tumor in your spinal cord. The surgery is extremely dangerous and out of my expertise.” Your head was spinning again; every single word that left your doctor’s mouth hit you, hard. So, just like that, even though you had prepared your mind and body to fight this battle, it was a battle that you were never going to win in the first place.  “I’m sorry Peiyun.” Your doctor turned around to leave the room only for you to stop him; your hands trembled as they reached for the oxygen mask on your face.
 
“Don’t tell my parents.”
 
 
 
 
Getting out of his bed quietly, Yixing slipped into a pair of sweats and put his jacket on. He was wearing his shoes when Kris appeared in front of him.
 
“Where are you going?” Yixing felt his heart stop from the shock Kris gave him.
 
“Why do you walk with no sound?!” Yixing whispered with intensity while clenching his chest.
 
“I asked you a question.”
 
“I... uh…”
 
“What happened today? You didn’t even explain anything and went straight to manager ge after breaking down. Yixing, we’re worried about you.”
 
Duizhang, I…”
 
“Don’t call me that, I’m talking to you as a friend right now, not your leader.” The intensity in Kris’s gaze cracked Yixing, he can’t keep this from him.
 
Wufan, you know how I told you about my girlfriend from my hometown?”
 
Peiyun?”
 
“Yeah, I just found out today that she’s really sick. My parents didn’t tell me the details; all I know is that she has laryngeal cancer. I asked manager ge if I could visit her today but of course, this is out of his power as well. He could get fired for letting me go.”
 
“But you’re going anyway.”
 
“Don’t worry; I’ll be back in the morning for our interview. I won’t miss it, I won’t let you guys down, you know that. You won’t tell manager ge right?” Yixing looked at his friend with pleading eyes, Kris’s expression unreadable. After thirty seconds of agonizing silence, Kris let out a deep sigh.
 
“Fine, but be careful alright? It’s three in the morning; you don’t know what kind of people would be on the trains at this time. I don’t want to be responsible for you getting hurt okay?” Yixing got up and hugged Kris right away. 
 
“Thanks and don’t worry, I’ll be back safe and sound by the time you get up in the morning.” Yixing tied his shoelace and made his way towards the door, turning the door knob slowly and making as little noise as possible.