Chapter 12.

I'd Wait An Eternity For You

Two weeks have gone by since Yixing last visited you and like he promised he calls you whenever he finds the time to but instead of a phone call it would be a video call, you were no longer able to reply to him anymore. You have gotten weak to the point where you could no longer lie to your parents. You had told them that you were fine after your collapse two weeks ago but now that the surgery date is here, you couldn’t hide the truth anymore. You gave your doctor a glance and he knew what you meant right away.

 
Peiyun… won’t be having her surgery today.” The four adults stared at your doctor in confusion.
 
“What do you mean she won’t be having her surgery today?” Your father gave you a questioning glance as he spoke.
 
“Her cancer has spread to the rest of her body. The surgery and removal of her tumour will no longer get rid of the cancer. Her body isn’t strong enough to withstand the surgery and treatment required to remove the tumours that have formed in her stomach and spinal cord either. I predict that Peiyun will have one to two years left to live but that all depends on her own will.”
 
“B-but you told us she was getting better.” Your father was shaking as your mother spoke, her entire body trembling as well.
 
“I know I had previously said that she was making progress but, cancer is unpredictable. I’m sorry for telling you this news now but as Peiyun’s doctor I must respect her decision to do so. From here on in, it is up to Peiyun to choose whether or not she wishes to stay here at the hospital with us watching over her or to go home and spend the rest of her days there.”
 
“What do you mean? The rest of her days?” Your father knew this isn’t your doctor's fault but he couldn’t hide the anger in his voice.
 
“Please do let me continue. I predict that Peiyun will have one to two years left to live but that all depends on her own will... And as for the choices I have given you, if she chooses the latter I will personally help her with the technology needed to make Peiyun’s life as comfortable as possible. Take it as my personal gift to Peiyun for making me see the world in a different light, her strength and willpower is incredible. A custom wheelchair with all the things you see in this room will be provided in her own room. The nurses here volunteered to help Peiyun transition to her life at home if she chooses to as well.” Speechless, your parents were speechless as they listened to your doctor speak so you spoke for them. The sound produced by your vocal chords no longer sounded like you, it no longer sounded human.
 
“I...W-want...to...go.” You took in a deep breath before continuing. “Home”
 
Months have gone by since you have returned to the comforts of your home. Both you and your family have learned to accept the truth, there isn’t anything they can do to change the reality in front of them so they chose to spend the limited amount of time they had with you in happiness. The only person left who doesn’t know is Yixing. You haven’t found the right time to tell him yet, he knows that you’ve gone back home but he thought that it meant you were getting better. The fact that you no longer needed an oxygen mask supported his thoughts but that was actually because you no longer received anymore treatments.
 
You’re currently sitting in your backyard with your mother next to you, a book in her hand for the two of you to read. You enjoyed the warmth of the afternoon sunlight against your skin and the fresh air that blew past your cheeks. It’s so peaceful; it made you wonder if the afterlife would be like this. You looked up at the fluffy clouds in the sky and wondered if there was a heaven up there. Would you look over your family and Yixing after you died or would you reborn as another person? You yourself hoped that heaven existed, you don’t ever want to forget this life, you don’t ever want to forget about Yixing and the way he makes you feel. You thought about those things sometimes and it no longer scared you. Acceptance, that’s the word. You have accepted your fate and so has your loved ones, you will no longer leave this world with regrets, that is, if Yixing will react the same way. You have gone through a wide variety of scenarios in your head. How you would tell him and how he would react. Without even knowing it you had dazed out, staring up at the clouds instead of the book in front of you. Your mother noticed right away and tapped on your shoulder lightly.
 
“Is the book too boring, should I grab you another one?” You shook your head lightly and did the motion that someone would do if they were drinking water. You felt really thirsty all of a sudden.
 
“Oh, I’ll go get you some water right away sweetie.” Your mother set the book down on the patio and went inside. You continued to look at your surroundings, your mother bought flowers and planted them when you first moved back home. You would sit there and watch her work, your mother called it bonding time since you like flowers and she enjoys gardening. Before you knew it a glass of water is now situated in front of your face, a hand that definitely doesn’t belong to your mother held onto the cup. You looked up to see a smiling Yixing in front of you, your eyes lit up immediately.
 
“I just got here and saw Mrs. Fan holding a glass of water, she told me you were thirsty, come on drink up Peiyun.” You took a sip of the water Yixing got you and continued to stare at him; it’s been months since you last saw those dimples in person.
 
“You’re probably wondering why I’m here.” You no longer needed to speak; Yixing always knew what you were thinking about anyway. “Our promotions for MAMA are finally over so I get a week off before we get back to business. I’ll be here for the full seven days.” Excitement grew in your heart as you heard the news, seven days with Yixing.
 
“I’ve got the entire week planned already, all I need is to get your parent’s permission to have you to myself haha, I hope they don’t mind.” Your mother was standing by the back door the entire time.
 
“Of course we don’t Yixing; she’s all yours this week.” Yixing’s smile grew bigger and he hugged your mother. “Thanks Mrs. Fan! If it’s alright with you I’d like to take Peiyun somewhere right now...” Yixing rubbed the back of his neck and looked over at you before looking at your mother again, still as cute as ever.
 
“Didn’t I say she’s all yours? Go ahead Yixing and stop calling me Mrs. Fan, it’s mom to you.”
 
“Thanks Mrs.. I mean thanks mom. I’ll have her back by dinner! My mom wants to make a special dinner for all of us to celebrate my vacation and the end of my promotions. She says she’ll bring the food here since all of Peiyun’s stuff is here.”
 
“Alright, have fun you two, and Yixing, take this bag with you, it has Peiyun’s medication that helps soothe if it starts to hurt.” Yixing took the bag and looked inside.
 
“Oh, it’s the same one I use for when I sing too much. I’ll be sure to keep a careful eye on Peiyun mom. Bye!” Yixing walked over to you and set his hands on your wheelchair, pushing you to your destination.