EDGE 9

On The Edge Once More

 

A/N: A failed chapter of the accident that happened.

 




It was supposed to be a harmless walk.

Just him and their maknae savoring the late night breeze that the empty streets of Seoul could offer them.

A walk should not end to this... him being drenched with blood and his younger companion fighting for his life in the room beside him.

He was feeling cold despite that their leader was hugging him tightly. He was shivering like a lone leaf that was being blown by the cold breeze of autumn. He kept on staring on his shaking hands. It was stained with the blood of his maknae.

He could not hear the words that the older man was whispering to his ears as their leader tried to soothe him. He could not hear all the curses that his greasy hyung was spouting as he paced back and forth in the front of the OR. He could not see the white walls that were surrounding him. All he could hear was the screeching of the wheels… the sound of metals colliding… the sound of a body crashing to the ground… the screams of the crowds… and the siren of the ambulance and police cars.  He could not see anything but red… the same color that was tainting his hands… the same color that bathes their maknae.

He promised that he was going to take care of the younger but he broke it. He hurt the younger more than his best friend has ever hurt the boy.

He was afraid that this time, their youngest member will be taken away from them…from him. He is scared that their maknae won’t be returning to them anymore. He is frightened that he can no longer see, hear, smell, touch, and feel the younger boy… no more smiles, laughter, whines, moodswings, everything that relates to his beloved.

The event earlier was replaying vividly on his mind like a movie that was on a cinematic repeat.

He could see himself walking hand in hand with Sungjong. He was sipping an ice cold Americano while the latter was drinking his lemon iced tea. They were having some conversations – a one-sided conversation since he’s the only one speaking. But still he was grinning like a Chesire cat because Sungjong was their by his side.

He could see himself letting go of the maknae’s hand as he walked in front of him and made some hearts. He gave a full smile when the younger started to giggle but that was also when all hell broke loose. He accidentally bumped with someone causing his cap to fall on the ground. Shrieking and shouting were heard when some random fans recognized them. He picked up his fallen cap and grabbed the younger’s free hand to run away from the fans. If only did he and Sungjong not run away from those shrieking girls then the latter will not be struggling for his life.

They were running for it when the heard a loud rumbling sound. A container van was making its way through and it was going at speed limit down the busy road.

"You can't catch me!" Sungyeol could still hear the kid shouting.

"No, wait!" One of the other kids called. "Come back!"

There, he was standing as the kid headed straight for the God-forsaken intersection. The image of the people including him was etched in his mind. They are looking in horror as the kid ran into the road. That’s also when Sungyeol saw Sungjong bolting after the kid. For a moment, Sungyeol thought that it was the most incredible thing he’d ever seen… Sungjong’s agility and speed and it were amazing.

"Hey, kid," Sungyeol could hear Sungjong shout, snapping him out of his trance that moment, "WATCH OUT!!!"

The screeching tires and the loud honks of two cars and the semi truck were still ringing in his ears as he looked out to where Sungjong was. That’s the most vivid memory that was replaying in his mind…Sungjong grabbing the kid by his collar and flinging him to the other side of the intersection onto the sidewalk.

"SUNGJONG!!" Sungyeol heard his own voice, screaming. But it was already too late.

Sungjong was hit by a yellow car – yes, his favorite color – as the car swerved trying to slow down. The impact sent him rolling over the car, into the cold air, and landing on his back onto the sidewalk near the boy’s feet.  As for the yellow car; it ended up swerving into a red car that was heading in the opposite direction. When both cars came to a halt in the middle of the intersection, they collided with the semi truck. The driver of the truck slammed on the breaks. However, the sudden halt sent the driver flying through the windshield and skidding down the road a few feet from the wreckage.

The screams and cries were soon heard but Sungyeol could recall not hearing any of it. The feel of his heart that was beating to fast was still embedded in his mind. And he knew that he was hyperventilating… the same thing that he experienced when he looked over at the little boy who had caused the whole fiasco. The kid was still standing there looking down at the unconscious and bloody body at his feet. His eyes were glassy and filled with horror.

"Someone call 911!" a man yelled.

People rushed over to Sungjong. Others rushed to the guy who went flying out of the windshield. Sungyeol couldn’t tell where his feet were heading, but the next thing he knew, he was standing over Sungjong's limp body; his brown hair turning a shade darker.

"He's bleeding pretty bad!" someone yelled.

"The ambulance is on its way." said one guy holding a cellphone.

"Is he dead?" a girl screamed.

"He still has a pulse!" a guy said holding two fingers to Sungjong’s neck.

Sungyeol remembered himself kneeling down beside the limp body of their maknae and taking his hand in his own. They were still warm as he tried to massage it. He could still feel someone’s hand tapping him on his shoulder.

"Are you alright, son?" That’s what the stranger asked him.

But all he could do that moment was to open his mouth with no voice coming out of it. Just then, several ambulance arrived along with the police. The crowds were told to clear the area. Minutes later, news reporter surrounded them, asking people questions about what they saw and how they felt about the whole thing.

Sungyeol tried to look up at where the kid had stood. He was long gone now.

"Where'd that stupid kid go?" He heard someone yell.

Someone started pulling him back and as Sungyeol looked up he saw a paramedic looking down at him.

"Excuse me, sir," the paramedic said, "I need you to step aside."

As he moved away from the area, news reporters swarmed around him. The police did all they could to hold them back. One cop pulled him out of the way and over to his car. But Sungyeol kept on taking glances over at Sungjong's limp body.

"He's still alive." a paramedic said.

"What about the other one?" another paramedic called to his fellow paramedic.

"No pulse!" he called back.

"The driver of both those cars are dead as well." came another paramedic.

Sungyeol’s heart skipped a beat. He started to blame the kid. The cop that was with him was asking him questions but his throat was parched and his mind was blank. He couldn’t find the words as his mouth hung open but no audible sound present. All he could hear was people screaming into the microphones.

"Damn it!" Sungyeol heard a woman yell. "Didn't that kid's parents teach him how to cross the street?!"

"I wish the damned brat would have gotten hit!" another girl snapped.

"What did you say your name was, son?" the cop beside him asked.

"L-Lee Sungyeol, sir." Sungyeol said with trembling lips, stuttering.

The cop looked at Sungyeol again, realizing who he really was.

"Lee Sungyeol of INFINITE?" the cop asked for clarification.

"Yes, sir." Sungyeol answered plainly.

"So then that boy lying unconscious over there is-"

"Lee Sungjong, sir." Sungyeol cut him off not really meaning to.

The cop didn’t say anything after that; he just stared at the idol with a dumbfounded look. Right when Sungyeol was about to say something else, he heard a man give his comment.

He didn't say anything after that; just stared at me in surprise. Right when I was about to say something else, I heard a man give his comment.

"Man, I hope he makes it through alright." The man said. "I tell you, that Lee Sungjong is a God damned hero for saving that kid's !"

That made Sungyeol smile. To hear some random man refer to his maknae as a hero was heartwarming. The cop put his hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder and pulled him over to the paramedics. They had already put Sungjong on a stretcher and placed him in the ambulance.

"How is he?"  Sungyeol could the same cop asked the paramedics.

"He's bleeding from the head," a tall paramedic answered, "and he's in critical condition. We're taking him to SNU Hospital."

"We need someone to go with him." another paramedic said.

"I'll go." Sunyeol could hear himself, clearly.

"What's your name?"

"This is Lee Sungyeol of INFINITE." the cop answered in his behalf.

Then he remembered the silence as all eyes were averted to him with shock and amusement.

"Yeah," the cop sighed. "I had that same expression."

"So, the boy in the ambulance is-"

"Lee Sungjong," the cop and Sungyeol responded in unison.

"I thought he looked familiar." the paramedic said.

"Hey!" yelled another paramedic. "The truck driver is dead. We can't seem to get his heart going."

"Dead on the scene!" the first paramedic called back.

My heart lurched. What if Sungjong doesn't make it? What if he dies on the way to the hospital? Sungyeol started trembling.

"Alright, Sungyeol-shii," the second paramedic said. "Come with us."

"Keep your head up, son," the cop murmured as he put a supporting hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder. "He'll make it through."

"Thank you, sir." Sungyeol said smiling.

Sungyeol remembered himself following the paramedics to the ambulance. Reporters were calling out for him. It was obvious that they wanted answers to their questions. He just ignored them and climbed inside the ambulance. No way would Sungyeol give them the satisfaction of hearing about what happened to their maknae. Sungyeol sat next to the prone body of their maknae and observed closely as paramedics hooked him up to a heart monitor and a breathing mask. Unconciously, Sungyeol’s found Sungjong’s left hand and wrapped it with his own hand, not planning to let it go. Sungyeol could not hold back the tears that were streaming down his face as he softly massage the hand of the younger boy.

"S-sung…jong," he sniffed. "Please hold on. Please don't leave me."

The last thing Sungyeol could remember was the unresponsive eyes of their maknae as the paramedic shined a small flash light on it. Him, asking the maknae as if he could hear him…and the paramedic cursing under his breath.

He was transported back to the reality with a loud bang and the sound of a fist heating a flesh. Loud shouting soon followed and the next thing he knew was Sunggyu and their manager was holding him back before he could pummel their handsome visual on the floor.

Because that moment… the only color that he is seeing is RED.

 


 

Hiyeom! Hiyeom!

I really think that this chapter is really a failure...a GREAT FAILURE... I don't know why.

 

I can't really express all of my thoughts and I left the ending hanging...

 

Will Sungjong survive this time?

or... Will his hyungs be attending his funeral soon? (Did I really say that?)

 

What will happen between L and Sungyeol?

 

Next chapters will be more interesting so please subscribe and comment.
 

-Rhay