EDGE 3

On The Edge Once More

 

Woohyun stared at the fragile figure lying in his hyung's bed. Though the bed is small, Woohyun thought that their maknae looked even smaller on it. With the white sheets, Sungjong looks ethereal. Like he was an angel...but an angel whose wings were clipped off. He was clueless of what was happening to their maknae as of the moment but all he knew was Sungjong is in pain. No- slash that- he doesn't knew but he could see it and feel it, all the pains and suffering their maknae has.

 

Worry graced through Woohyun's handsome face. The sun was being replaced already by the moon but their maknae have yet to wake up. True, he was exhausted and dead-tired. His mind was screaming to catch up some of his lost sleep, but instead of wishing to have his sleep all he wanted was for their maknae to wake up. He and Sunggyu impractically stayed all night to monitor their maknae’s condition. Although Sunggyu and him had took turns in watching over Sungjong, both of them were still drained. Even if he want to sleep that night when Sunggyu was the one watching over their maknae, he really can't. With every whimpers and silent sobs that came out from Sungjong, Woohyun felt that his heart was also breaking into pieces. As if, it was experiencing the pain that their maknae is suffering from. He had talked with Sunggyu last night and was supposed to ask what really occured the moment the two of them arrived from the therapy but he was dismissed by his hyung even before asking. Something between the lines that they should focus first on the recovery of their maknae and just wait for the right time.

 

Throughout the night, their maknae had awoken at least three times and each time drenched in sweat and shivering and a whimper in his throat. His breathing had been labored, too, hyperventilating, as if Sungjong had been in the midst of a panic attack each time he woke, and he was frightened, truly frightened. The reasons behind the occurrences had him and Sunggyu concerned. True, Sungjong’s body temperature return to its normal state after he had drunk his medicines but the nightmares that constantly plagued him throughout the night gave no other options to Woohyun and Sunggyu. What really intrigued Woohyun were the words that their maknae was repeating like a mantra in his nightmare-induced sleep.  Words like “No, it’s not possible”, “L-hyung would not even dare to do it”, and “It’s only a dream” incomprehensibly came out from their half-conscious maknae. Also, his occasional whimpering and sniffling made his current state much pitiful. Woohyun wondered why Sungjong’s kept on mentioning his lover’s name in his sleep. And seeing Sunggyu’s reaction upon hearing L’s name being mentioned by their maknae and how his hyung clenched his fist so hard gave Woohyun some suspicion that Myungsoo has something to do with their maknae’s nightmare. It was only that time that Woohyun made a realization, that he had made some connections between the two. Did Myungsoo do something foolish again?

 

And it was only that time – when their maknae woke up the third time – that Sunggyu shoved a sleeping pill down their maknae’s throat. The sleeping pill that Sungjong’s doctor prescribed him during his first suicide attempt.  That was brought Sungjong to his state right now. Yes, he was asleep but Woohyun knew that it was a dreamless sleep. Yet dreamless was much better than being plagued by nightmares in his opinion.

 

Sunggyu has already talked to their managers about the situation of their maknae and they had planned to bring him to the hospital if he will not wake up sooner.

 

A light frown touched his features as he settled down beside their maknae while caressing his pale face. Woohyun found himself more concerned with Sungjong's physical, mental, and emotional states. His dongsaeng is precious to him even Sungjong would always joke that he wanted to hit him for acting cute and found him as the easiest hyung. He considered their maknae as his own brother and he found it funny that there were times that their maknae acted like his older brother. For him, Sungjong is one the most mature member of INFINITE. It was Sungjong's nature to help his hyungs with their problems but when he has a problem he would normally kept it to himself, hiding it with his usual perkiness and fake smiles - pretending that everything was alright. But now the problems he have were eating him up. His altruistic behavior was beginning to destroy his well-being. Despite of his cutesy act in their shows, Sungjong acts like their oldest brother in their dorm. He is a responsible maknae that take care of his hyung. This time, he promised to himself that it will be the other way around - he will be the one taking care of his dongsaeng.

 

“Jongie, please wake up,” Woohyun whispered to their maknae. He just hoped that when Sungjong woke up he would not try to jump from their apartment building again.

 

“Hyunie-hyung.” The sound of Sungjong’s voice calling Woohyun brought him out from his reverie. The voice of their maknae was hoarse and strained and Woohyun could only conclude that it was the result of crying too much. Woohyun didn’t realize that tears begun to fall from his eyes. “Hyung, why are you crying? Did I do something wrong?” Sungjong said as he struggled to sit on his bed and wipe the falling tears of his hyung.

“No, it’s nothing Jongie, I’m just glad that you’re awake,” Woohyun replied as he gently laid Sungjong back on the bed.

“Do you want to eat something?”

 “Anything can do hyung.”

“Just wait here, hyung’s gonna cook your  favorite.”

And with that Woohyun exited from the room leaving Sungjong in his own bubble of thoughts again.

 

========================================================================================================================

 

hello there... 

 

guess who's back??? haha...

 

i know... i haven't updated this story for 1 month and 12 days...

but i'm really busy... I spent those days in formulating a title proposal for my research...

Well, i will be embarking in a study entitled, IDENTIFICATION OF FUNGAL ISOLATES IN Haliotis asinina...

and i really  think that my efforts are not wasted... Just yesterday, my research adviser/consultatn told me that we will be presenting my study to the

Society of Microbiology in our country....

 

sorry for ranting...

 

Thanks for my co-author for being with me despite of the delay of this story...

 

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT!