Edge 1

On The Edge Once More

 

“Aaahhhhh!!!!”

The shriek of INFINITE’s maknae reverberated throughout the whole dorm. It was in the wee hour of the night and Sungjong was awakened by another nightmare. “Jongie?” Hoya who was brought out from his dreamland because of Sungjong’s shout carefully climbed on his bed to check on him. “Jongie… are you alright?” Sensing no answer from their maknae, he lay down beside him and wrapped him with his arms. Hoya seeing the far from okay situation of their maknae mentally scolded himself for asking a nonsense question. Sungjong was facing the wall and he was crying silently on his already tear-drenched teddy bear. His body wracked with each sobs making his state much pitiful and fragile.

“Jongie, what’s wrong?”  Hoya urged their maknae to speak to him. “Is it another nightmare?” Again Sungjong remained silent. “Do you want me to call Myungsoo?” After mentioning Myungsoo’s name, Sungjong stiffened but he shook his head vigorously telling Hoya not to call Myungsoo anymore. “Okay… fine… I’m not going to call him but please tell why you are crying.” Hoya waited for Sungjong’s response but none came. He slowly withdrew Sungjong from his hug and planned to call Myungsoo. “Hyung… please don’t… just stay with me…” Sungjong’s voice was hoarse from too much crying and it sounded more like a whisper. “But, Jongie…” “Please hyung… just for tonight.” Hoya has no choice but to tighten his arms around their maknae as he drifted off into the realm of sleep again.

Myungsoo was standing by the door frame of his lover’s room watching the whole interaction between Hoya and his lover. He was in the kitchen by the time Sungjong shouted and he knew very well that it was because of another nightmare. He immediately rushed into his lover’s room to comfort his lover but he was rooted on his spot when he saw his lover being hugged by Hoya. He resisted himself from snatching Sungjong and punching Hoya on his face. Myungsoo knew that Hoya was only there to comfort Sungjong and there were no ill intentions on Hoya’s action but he couldn’t prevent to be jealous. Also, he could not understand why his lover refused Hoya’s offer to call him. “Myungsoo?” Myungsoo snapped out from his musing when he heard his name being called. “L, do you want to stay here tonight? We can exchange room for tonight so that you can watch over Sungjong.” It turned out to be Hoya who has just climbed down from Sungjong’s bed. Sungjong has fallen asleep again but Myungsoo could see the uneasiness and weariness that was etched on his lover’s beautiful face despite of being asleep. “Just stay here L… Sungjong needs you tonight.” Given no option, Myungsoo joined Sungjong in his bed whispering sweet nothings on his lover’s ear hoping that it could make him at ease and free him from the nightmare he was experiencing. On the other hand, Hoya closed the door as his lips turned into a small smile.

 

The next day…

 

Sunggyu sighed as he silently watched their maknae that was absent-mindedly played with his phone. Only the two of them was in their dorm that time since the rest of INFINITE has their respective schedules. They just arrived from Sungjong’s therapy session and from the hospital to their dorm the maknae was so quietly and it was so unlike him that it made the leader weary of Sungjong’s condition. True after Sungjong’s suicide attempt, their maknae became less talkative and would space out occasionally but the Sungjong who was with him now was even quieter than before. Sunggyu was aware that Sungjong was being plagued with nightmares again and his therapy sessions were not even helping him. He couldn’t comprehend what triggered the nightmares of their maknae to resurface once more or whether these nightmares were the same with the one their maknae had before. He knew that every time their maknae has nightmares, it was a beginning of another storm in Sungjong’s life. It was like a premonition. Sunggyu couldn’t stop from worrying for their maknae’s condition that he even ceased from nagging him. With their upcoming comeback and their individual and group schedules, they were receiving a large amount of stress and pressure lately and it was taking toll on their bodies but Sungjong was the one who was affected the most. Sunggyu recalled when he and Myungsoo almost killed their choreographer one time when he accidentally shouted at their maknae for making so many mistakes. Sungjong was not physically and mentally stable during their practice and their boss told their choreographer to take it easy on Sungjong but it didn’t prevent the choreographer from shouting on their maknae. Sunggyu could only wish that the company will give Sungjong a time to recover from everything after their comeback.

“Jjong, I’m going to my room, if you need something just call me.” Sunggyu slowly rose from his seat and went to his room giving Sungjong one last look and a small smile.

Sungjong remained seated on his place after Sunggyu left him. Though his stomach was complaining for being empty, he ignored it and just stared into the empty space.  He’s sleepy but he was afraid to sleep especially when his lover was absent. The nightmares that were plaguing him were different from his past nightmares and it’s bothering him. Truth be told, he could only remember a fragment of his nightmare but it’s making him crazy. All he could recall was that he’s drowning into oblivion and he kept on hearing voices but no one came to rescue him. He was afraid and scared. What if this time no one can save him?

The ringing of the doorbell brought out Sungjong from his thought. As he could recall, they were expecting no one today. He sluggishly walked to the door and opened it but no one was there except for a folded manila envelope with his name written on it. Without a hesitation, he picked the envelope and return to his position earlier. As he opened it, he felt the same emotions that he experienced every time he woke up from a nightmare. No words could explain the mixed feelings he were experiencing that time. It was so bad that he was hesitating to open it. His mind was shouting for him to wait for his hyungs or his lover but his curiosity took over him. Before he knew it a small paper and a DVD slipped out from the envelope. On the paper was a neat handwriting that said:

To Lee Sungjong,

Watch this when only when you are alone…

The content of this DVD is for your eyes only.