04

Loveless Marriage

We followed JuMi and John in soaking wet. Even though he “saved” my life it was him who caused me to be in that situation in the first place. I still don’t like him. I ran into my room and changed into dry clothes.

In the bathroom mirror I kept looking at my lips. It wasn’t my first kiss but still I was mad. How could he kiss someone so easily? He must be a player back home.

He started banging the door.

“Yah hurry up.”

I open the door and before I even got out he came in. He corners me and smirks.

“What are you doing in here for so long?” He took his thumb and wipes my lip. “Thinking about our kiss?”

I glare at him and pushed him away. I ran into my room and slam the door shut. I lean against the door and felt my heart. My heart was racing and I started breathing heavily. I felt like I was holding my breath in the whole time we were in the bathroom.

JuMi started knocking on my door.

“Noona?”
“What?”
“Mom wants you to go get some stuff for her.”

I open the door and left quickly to avoid JunHyung. When I actually got to the corner store down the street I realize something. Today was Thursday; I don’t go to the store on Thursdays. I peek inside. As expected he was there. I close my eyes with a deep breath.

“I can’t avoid him forever.”

I step in the store.

“Hello-”

I slightly bow to him and grab the things I needed. I was looking at the drinks when a hand appeared in my face.

“Buy me this.”

I look over, who else could it be. It was JunHyung. He waves the ice cream bar in his hand in my face. I grab the ice cream bar.

“Why are you here?”
“I followed you.”
“You’re stalking me now?”
“I was bored.”

I turn around and grabbed some more stuff. I handed him a bag of oranges.

“What?”
“Help me carry it.”

He took it without complaining. We put all the stuff on to the table for the cash register. While the guy was ringing up the total I only stared at my shoes. I still can’t seem to look at him. Every time I look at him I just want to cry.

“Is he your new boyfriend?” The guy asks.
“NO.” I immediately answer.

They both looked at me. Did I answer to quick and nervously?

“What’s the total?” I asked.
“$30.23”

I quickly pay him and walked out. I notice JunHyung wasn’t following me. I step back and peeked in.

“Are you coming?”

He looks at me then at the guy.

“Yeah.”

JunHyung caught up to me and grab some bags out of my hand. He was just looking for his ice cream. I handed him his ice cream.

“So…who’s that guy?”
“What guy?”
“Register boy.”
“His name is SungGyu.”
“What? Is he your crush?”
“No, ex-boyfriend.”
“You guys break up? Let me guess, he cheated on you.”
“Shut up JunHyung just eat your ice cream.”
“So it’s true.”
“What about you and your ex-girlfriend then?”
“We’re not broken up. We’re on a break.”
“Break broken up same thing. She was the one who left you right? If I was her I would too.”
“Here have some ice cream.”

He shoves the ice cream into my mouth and ran off.

----

“So you guys were together.” Auntie asks.
“Yeah.”

I put the things down and took a seat.

“So what did you guys do?” Auntie asks.
“Nothing. We went to the store.”
“That’s it?” She sounded disappointed.
“Yeah”

JuMi and John joined me at the table.

“You guys didn’t kiss again.” JuMi giggles.
“What? When?” Auntie ask happily.
“When we were out fishing.” John answers.
“OMG really?” She was all happy again.

I got up before my mom and auntie stopped me.

“Wait JiYoon.”
“That’s why they were all wet.” The two kids started giggling.

I turn back into the kitchen.

“I assure you nothing happen.”
“They were all like this.”

JuMi was JunHyung and John was me. JuMi grabs John’s head push his head towards him. They pretend to kiss and laugh.

“YAH!”

I pointed at them and they ran away. I looked at my mom and auntie.

“You two are going to believe them over me?” I ask.
“Yeah” Auntie nodded.
“Your YAH confirm it happened.” My mom pointed out.
“It was CPR.”
“That excuse didn’t work the first time why would it work now?” mom asks.
“UGHHHH whatever believe what you want.”

---

“Hey piggy.”

I look at my door and glare at him.

“Don’t call me that unless you want me to call you JaeSoon. What do you want?”
“Let’s go back to the store.”
“Wae?”
“Just come!”
“No, I don’t go to that store on Thursday.”
“But you were there earlier.”
“That was because I forgot it was Thursday.”

He came into my room and pulls me up.

“Yah who said you could enter my room?”
“You gave me no choice.”

Our fathers peeked in.

“You guys aren’t even married yet and you two are so loud already.” They laugh.

JunHyung drags me behind him.

“We’re going to the store you guys want anything?” He asks our fathers.
“Oh trying to get quality time together huh.” My father wiggles his eye brows at JunHyung.
“DAD!” I yell.
“What? I approve of him. Unlike your gangster ex.”
“He’s not in a gang.”
“Who market boy?” JunHung laughs.
“You met him?” My dad ask.
“Yeah at the store.”
“Ah right today is Thursday.”
“Well we’re going to leave”

JunHyung pulls me out with him.

“Why are you like this? Don’t tell me you really like me.”

He laughs.

“No gosh no. If one day I do please god punish me.”
“That’s cold.”
“I’m bored and you are my only source of entertainment.”

I stop walking.

JunHyung pov

JiYoon stops walking. I look at her and then to where she was looking. It was register boy making out with some girl. I held on to her hand.

“Let’s go in.”

She refuses.

“Look to get pay back act like you don’t care and act like you moved on.”

I held onto her hand again. We walked in. He didn’t seem to care and continue with his make out session. I put beers onto the table to see if he would do something about it but he quickly ring me up and continue. I look at JiYoon her eyes were getting all sparkly. She was about to cry. I quickly paid for my stuff and we got out. While walking back she cried.

“AHHHH that dirty b**tard. It’s a good thing you guys broke up.”

She didn’t say anything she just stop walking.

“Can we stay here for a while?” She asks.

We leaned against the brick wall that ran all the way down the road. I open a can of beer and handed over to her. She accepts it and gulps it down.

“Yah slow down!” I yell at her.

She wipes her tears and continues drinking. After a few more gulps she starts talking.

“I deserve better then him! Who do he think he is? I can do so much better then him!”
“Yes” I agree with her.

She starts laughing.

“What’s so funny?”
“Ahhhh I can’t believe he left me for her. That b***h.”

I laugh and pat her head.

“That’s the spirit.”

My phone started vibrating in my pocket. I took it out and open the text message.

GUESS WHO WE SAW TODAY?

The picture was Hyunah with another guy. So that’s the guy who she left me for. I delete the text and picture.

After a few more bottles both of us were not in our right mind. We laugh one minute and cried the next. Images of Hyunah appeared in my mind. I hated her but I also missed her. JiYoon might have been feeling the same thing. We lean on each other and walk back to the house. I sat on the porch as JiYoon try to locate her keys. After a few moments she gave up and joined me.

“I don’t know where my keys are.”

We lie down on the porch and stare at the stars. JiYoon turns to me. I look back at her.

“I guess I wouldn’t mind marrying you. I don’t want to stay here anymore. I don’t want to look at his face; I don’t want to think about him.”

I place my hand on her head and brush the hair on her face back.

“Let’s get married then. I don’t want to keep thinking about Hyunah. I’ll show her I moved on. I don’t need her.”