Friendship

Keeping Distance

A/N yay~it's not the last chapter afterall he he

 

 

This, this close I'm watching you .Why, why are we only friends?

-Crystal Kay

 

After EXO-M had finished their schedule in Korea, they finally had to say good bye to their brothers and returned to China to continue their promotion. EXO-K members could not go with them until the airport, so EXO-M bid their good bye by visiting the K members in their dormitory.

“Oh, take care you guys!” Jong In waved his hand and hugged his brothers one by one. “Kyungsoo, please watch Jong In’s manner okay?” Xiumin patted Kyungsoo’s shoulder just to remind him. “I know, he’s getting worst.” The umma of EXO rolled his eyes and hugged his fellow member.

“Kris-hyung~” Chanyeol whined before he hugged Kris really tight, the M’leader could not breath. “Oh, Chanyeol-ah. Take care, okay? Be a good boy for me, okay?” Kris hugged him back. A very long hug for two guys.

“Oh, Bacon-hyung. Too bad we have to leave.” Tao hugged his favorite hyung. “Yeah, too bad. But we’ll see each other soon. We have to practice for the new song, right?” Baekhyun assured him. The wushu artist nodded. “Oh, Baekhyun-ah, thanks for everything.” Kris separated his boyfriend from the korean singer. He was still jealous and he did not like Tao had his favorite hyung. blocking Tao and Baekhyun was officially his new hobby. “Take care while you’re in China, hyung. Take care of this big baby.” Baekhyun brushed Tao’s hair. “I will.” Kris grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and took it away from Tao’s head.

“You, why so jealous?” Tao whispered. “I’m not.” Kris replied him. Tao hissed and left him away, but Kris grabbed his hand and kissed him. “I’m not.” He said again, still pretending. Tao’s face turned really red.

“OH GOD, WHY DO I HAVE TO WITNESS THIS.” Jong In ran to his Kyungsoo, scratching his head neurotically. Kris just gave him a face, he did not care. Finally, it was time for them to return to the airport.

***

Later that night, Chanyeol was staring at the ceiling, doing nothing. “Chanyeol-ah, if you don’t have things to do, you’d better study.” Baekhyun said from his seat, reading some English material that Chanyeol believed he could not read.

“Huh? There’s no difference. I’m stupid since I was born.”Chanyeol replied him in a very very gloomy way. Baekhyun sighed and put down his book. He sat next to his best friend. “What’s wrong?” he asked Chanyeol.

“Nothing, just trying to cope with my broken heart.” The taller man answered. “You told me Kris was not the only man in the world, right? I believe you can get over him and find another guy or nowadays girl group members are so cute too. I believe they wanna date you.” Baekhyun cheered him up, but Chanyeol’s face did not change.

“Baekhyun-ah, you’re a good guy.” Chanyeol muttered. Baekhyun blushed at his compliment. “Promise me you’ll find a good girl, okay? Don’t get tempted by es.” Chanyeol continued and Baekhyun lost his smile.

It was hurting him.

He had been close to Chanyeol ever since they were trainees. He watched him closely, looking at Chanyeol’s smiles, sharing their sadness and happiness, but he remained friends with the taller man. His situation now was just the same as Chanyeol’s situation. One-sided love.

One-sided love happened to almost every people in this world, but you could not compare the pain you gained from it to someone else’s.

Baekhyun touched Chanyeol’s hand and gave him a little smile to encourage him. Chanyeol smiled back at him. “Chanyeol-ah, cheer up a bit. If you’re that down, I’ll be really lonely.” Baekhyun complained, just to hide his aching heart. “I know. Here come, cheerful Park Chanyeol. Let’s sneak out and eat street snack around here!” Chanyeol got up from the bed, dragging Baekhyun out from the room.

***

“Remember when we were still trainees, we used to ask Kris-hyung to buy food for us every single day? He was like the richest around us, getting money from his parents every week.” Chanyeol said while munching fat greasy sausage. Baekhyun was eating the same thing, thankful that both of them did not have the ability to gain weight. “Right.” The other man replied him. It was fun to go out with Chanyeol just the two of them, but hearing him talking about Kris over and over again was kind of annoying.

“Kris-hyung would scold us if we were outside before midnight.” Chanyeol continued, still rambling about Kris-hyung this and that. Baekhyun had finished his snack and he felt like leaving Chanyeol if he could not stop talking about the Chinese rapper. “..but he’s so kind. He would cook us something if we’re really hungry and broke...” Chanyeol was rambling again.

That’s it.

“You want to get over him, but all you talk about is him!” Baekhyun suddenly snapped. Chanyeol stop walking and looked at his friend. Baekhyun realized that he might be too harsh as he stepped back. “I...I’m sorry...Yeol-ah...” he apologized immediately.

Chanyeol smiled faintly at him. “It’s okay. You’re right.”

They finally walked back to the dorm in silence. Baekhyun felt guilty for saying that to Chanyeol and the taller man did not know what to do when they were in an awkward situation like this. Chanyeol insisted to visit the park and bought a can of ice coffee from the vending machine. They were sitting on the old wooden bench. At this time, Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol just need someone to talk about his feeling.

“I really hate myself for being so distracted.” The taller man sighed, fixing his favorite cap. “Well, I have experienced this when Kris-hyung told me that Zitao accepted him...but honestly this is the first time I’m going to let go of him.” He continued. Baekhyun did not say anything, because Chanyeol only needed to be heard.

Well, indeed Chanyeol was like a mad person when Kris told him that Tao and him were dating. Duizhang also apologized for turning Chanyeol down and Chanyeol could only told him that he was okay when it was obviously he was not. After that, Chanyeol was in a complete shock and told Baekhyun everything.

They had never seen Kris made a move on the M’s maknae, maybe just a soft pat on the head or giving him a nice smile, but nothing obvious. Tao was really shy to begin with, very childish, easily blushed, and he followed Kris everywhere like a puppy mainly because he could not speak korean. When they began dating, they only looked like good friends. Holding hands, caring words, which to be honest were pretty common between the members. No one knows about them beside Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Lay at first.

Kris thought that Chanyeol was really okay when he turned him down, but Chanyeol was still the same. He had not changed an inch. Kris assumpted that maybe his best friend was just being himself, so he told Chanyeol everything. His first kiss with Tao, their first date, the next date, couple presents and many more. Chanyeol, again, spilled them out to Baekhyun. It was like transferring wound onto another wound. It was an endless circle.

“Damn it. I feel like crying... So annoying.” Chanyeol’s eyes started to fill with tears. Being friends for a long time, Baekhyun knew when Chanyeol could be so weak in a manly way.

He stood up and pulled Chanyeol into his embrace. He would not tell Chanyeol to stop crying. It was a good thing he did because it would lift his burden even just a little. However, seeing Chanyeol was in this state was hurting him too. “Baekhyun-hyung, I’m going to snort on your tee.” Chanyeol chuckled although he was crying. Baekhyun laughed at his cute attempt and it had been a while since he called him hyung. “Sure, go ahead.” The older man let him and Chanyeol did snort on his tee a little.

***

After working and finished early, Baekhyun decided to play games for a while. Suddenly , he got a video call notification from his phone and it was Tao who called him. He accepted it and expected to see the M’s maknae, but Tao was not alone, he was with Lay too.

“Bacon-hyung~!” Tao waved his hand.

 “Annyeong!” Baekhyun waved his hand back.

“How’s today? I watched you guys through streaming. Cool!” Lay asked him. “Oh great. It’s a good thing we finished early.” Baekhyun answered.

“We don’t have anything to do today, just lazying around~” Tao tried to show off to his hyung and Lay nodded, looking really relax. “I know, Luhan told Sehun this morning so we all know." Baekhyun gave them a mehrong.  “Oww, damn. Showing off failed.” Tao pouted and it made Baekhyun wanted to squeeze him before he remembered something.

“Guys, can you let me talk to Wu Fan-hyung  just the two of us?” he finally requested. Tao was a little stunned and he was hesitating for a second. He was a little curious, but he knew that it must be really important because Baekhyun looked serious.

“Wu fan-ge...” Baekhyun could hear Tao was calling his boyfriend.

“Something happened?” Lay asked the younger man. “Not really, something about Chanyeol.” Baekhyun answered him. "I hope Chanyeol's okay." Lay frowned in concern. "He will be." the korean singer replied. It was not exactly about Chanyeol, more like for himself. He would do this to assure himself.

“What is it?” Baekhyun heard Kris’ voice. “Baekhyun-hyung wanna talk to you alone.” Now he heard Tao’s answer. Lay and Tao let them to talk alone and left the room.

“Yo, Baekhyun-ah. Wassup?” Kris asked with his perfect English. “Hyung...it’s about Chanyeol.” He began with a whisper. Well, the others were in the living room, but he did not want to risk himself, especially if Chanyeol heard him. Kris immediately turned into a serious mode, because Baekhyun was giving him a straight look.

“He’s getting better, although he cried last night.”

“.....”

“Hyung...”

“Yes?”

take a deep breath, Byun Baekhyun.

“I...I love Chanyeol.”

“.....”

Kris gave him a moment to test if it was a joke or not, but after a moment he knew that Baekhyun was sincere. Baekhyun hardly could lie to anyone else. Even if he lied, it was because he had to keep a big secret.

“Baekhyun-ah, take care of him for me from now on.” He replied the younger man. Baekhyun did not say anything, it was hard enough to tell Kris about this. Afterall, he initally considered  Kris as his love rival.

“I wish he could forget his feeling for you.” It sounded cruel, but he had to say it. He understood that it would be impossible for Chanyeol to forget Kris after all this time.

The feeling you had for someone was a part of your history. To forget it almost meant the same as forgetting a part of yourself. Baekhyun understood about it because he had experienced the same thing. But just for a day, he wanted Chanyeol to pay attention to him. He wanted Chanyeol to realize that he had feeling for him. He only wanted to be loved.

“I believe he’ll come around.” Kris tried to encourage him. “No one understands him more than you, afterall.” Duizhang continued.

If I’m the one who understand him more than anyone, why can’t I get closer to him. Why am I only a friend?

"Thank you, hyung."

What else could he say?

 

-tbc-

 

So as stated above, it's not the last chapter!

Actually, I want to write the BaekYeol part in a really short one chapter, but I can’t. I want everything to be step by step. TaoRis will continue in this story too ;-D.

NOTICE : I will be hiatus for a while since I'm going to move to Singapore this Thursday. But I will continue this maybe weekend or the next week. Btw, anyone in Singapore? Please contact me~ *coughlookingforafriendtospazzinsgcough*