Closure

Keeping Distance

 

thank you for reading, leaving comments and subscribing.

 

 

Park Chanyeol was known as happy virus in Exo-K. He always smiled and gave cheerful aura around him. Even in SM office, he would smile to everyone. Sunbaes, trainees, bosses, and even other workers he did not know. When Chanyeol was around, everyone would be in a good mood. Chanyeol thought that if he kept smiling, he could forget all of his problems and he would feel strong. But after living for almost 20 years, finally Chanyeol faced something that he could not beat with his smile...

It was when he finally knew that his other best friend, Byun Baekhyun, liked him. That way.

Chanyeol stared straight into the mirror and saw his own reflection.

Baekhyun likes me.

He could not stop himself for thinking about it ever since he found out that Baekhyun liked him. He had been close friends with Baekhyun. He listened to everything he said, cheering him up and even knew that he liked Kris for some time now. Realizing this, he just wondered how he had hurt Baekhyun numerous times already and he felt a little guilty for being insensitive.

Still, what did he see from him?

Chanyeol started to make poses in front of the mirror.

Muscles? Small. He was very skinny because the company told him to stay that way.

Nice skin? Maybe. He went to dermatologist because the company told him to.

Good at rapping? Of course. The company tought him to rap for nearly 4 years.

Good looking? Certainly. Chanyeol rubbed his chin and thought maybe Baekhyun liked his face because he was considered good looking. Well, speaking of good looking, Luhan was more beautiful, so why Baekhyun chosed him? He had no good quality after all.

He snorted on Baekhyun’s favorite t-shirt. He cried over Kris. He even thought of stealing Kris from Tao. So, why? Just....why?

“Dude, what are you doing, posing like that -?” suddenly Baekhyun opened the bathroom door. “You scared the out of me!” the taller man complained, covering his with towel. “You were taking too long. Do you think you’re the only one who needs the bathroom?” Baekhyun grabbed his towel from Chanyeol’s side and pushed him out of the room.

After the shorter man closed the door, he could only blushed. He saw Chanyeol’s....He groaned and immediately took a bath to cool down.

 

***

 

It was evening after their schedule was cancelled and everyone seemed not in a good mood. Tao and Kris especially. Instead of having furious look on his eyes as always, Tao had this sorrowful eyes which to be honest, in Luhan’s mind, was too exaggerating. He knew really well why Tao and Kris were fighting (of course, from Lay) and that couple seemed to argue over every little things. Like Kris and Chanyeol’s friendship. Luhan thought, maybe Tao was just young and inexperience, while Kris was insensitive to his boyfriend. In the end of the day, watching Tao and Kris fighting was his and Lay’s entertainment.

Tao felt lonely more than ever. He did not like fighting with Kris, but he was too stubborn to apologize or give in. He rolled on his bed, playing with his phone. Baekhyun told him that Chanyeol had been a bit weird for a few days. Tao could only answer that most of the time Chanyeol was weird. He really was not in the mood to talk about him afterall.

Meanwhile, Kris was still trying to find out how to apologize to his boyfriend. He did not feel doing something wrong. Tao should have understood that Chanyeol was his friend and it was normal to care about a friend. Suddenly, his phone was ringing. He grinned when he knew Chanyeol was the one who texted him.

‘Wu fan-hyung, heard you fight with Tao a few days ago. Have you guys made up already?’

‘Not yet. Why?’

‘Nothing. Hey, I want to ask you something...’

‘What is it?’

Chanyeol remained still for a while.

‘I overheard Baekhyun and Tao’s conversation a few days ago. Baekhyun likes me...and you knew about it. Is that right?’

Kris just sighed.

‘It’s true, Chanyeol-ah.’

‘What else did he tell you?’

‘Probably everything. Listen, Chanyeol. He cares about you, okay? So don’t hate him because he told me things. He’s a good person.’

‘I know, hyung. But I’m so sorry that you had to hear everything about me. Please, don’t think about me. Think more about your relationship.’

Kris smiled. Even when he knew that Chanyeol was confused by the whole thing, he still cared about Kris.

‘Chanyeol-ah, once I told you to open your mind. I think it’s time...’

‘I don’t know, hyung. I’ll think about it myself. Thanks anyway.’

‘Anytime.’

This time Kris sighed in relief. It was about time for Chanyeol to move on and opened his mind the possibility of relationship with Baekhyun. He believed that it would make Chanyeol happier. It could make Tao felt safer too.

When the door was opened, his eyes and Tao’s met for a second. “Sorry, I thought no one was here.” Tao mumbled and closed the door. “Hey, wait!” Kris immediately ran after him and stopped when he saw the others were watching him. Tao kept walking to his room and left Kris behind.

“Uh, guys... I’m hungry and I wanna eat meat. Why don’t we go together?”  Lay suddenly said because he felt like they really had to leave the house so the couple could talk. “Oh, sure. MEAT!” Xiumin cheered happily. Kris returned to his room and got his purse. “Use this, you know the pin.” He gave his debit card to Lay as gratitude. Luhan and Xiumin’s eyes were gleaming because finally they could get nice food. Chen just wished his hyungs would not forget their diet.

After the guys left, Kris proceeded to Tao’s room but it was locked.

“The rule in this house is you do not lock your room.” Kris said from outside. Tao rolled his eyes and immediately opened the door. Kris came in and sat next to his boyfriend.

“You should apologize to me.” Kris began.

“What?! Excuse me, you were the one who kept talking about Chanyeol-ge!!”

“You told me that you were the only one who was afraid of losing me. You are not the only one.”

Tao did not say anything. Well, he did not want to play who was smarter than who with Kris now. If Kris did not explain, how was he supposed to understand?

“I’m afraid of losing you too. So let’s just stop arguing because of Chanyeol. I’ll leave that dude to Baekhyun.”

“Is this the way you try to apologize to me or what??” Tao started to get confused.

“What I’m trying to say is that you don’t have to feel so insecure. I told you many times that I like you. I choose you. What I have with Chanyeol is purely friendship. That I have no, even a little, feelings for him. I won’t date him. I only love you, if I don’t then I won’t be here explaining this to you.” Kris panted when he finally said it to Tao, leaving the other man silent.

For some reason he cried. He had fought with Kris before over the same things, but Kris always managed to say things that made him melted. Tao knew that he was being selfish, because he did not even let Kris to worry about his bestfriend. Despite all of that, Kris still wanted to be with him. He loved Kris. He could not stop. He wanted to monopolize him. He wanted Kris to only think about him. He wanted Kris to only love him.

“And now you’re crying? I should be the one who’s crying.” Kris frowned, but he still wiped Tao’s tears. He had seen him crying for many times already and found it somehow cute yet annoying. Kris gave him a peck on the lips and it made Tao smiled a little. Kris looked weird when he tried to be romantic. It was just not suitable for him. However, Kris was always trying to be sweet to apologize and Tao really appreciated that.

“Stupid Wu Fan.” Tao smiled, wiping his own tears.

“Stupid Zitao.” Kris pinched his cheek until it was red.

“I hate you.” Tao smacked Kris’ hand.

“I hate you too. So much.” But Kris hugged him.

An hour later, Baekhyun received a mail from the Exo-M’s leader.

‘We’re fine now, don’t worry.’

Baekhyun knew that sooner or later, Kris and Tao would be alright. He replied the mail,

‘Good. Stop fighting about Chanyeol. Leave him to me.’

Kris did not reply because Tao was busy grabbing his phone and nibbling his jaw. “Stop texting, Wu Fan-ge.” He whispered. Kris put his phone on the desk near him and got back to business.

 

***

 

“Why are you smiling?” Chanyeol asked when he thought that Baekhyun was being creepy alone. Baekhyun immediately put his phone in his pocket. “Oh, nothing.” Baekhyun answered. Suddenly there was an awkward silence. Chanyeol felt all his words died when he remembered that Baekhyun liked him. He just wanted to escape from there and screamed.

“Chanyeol-ah, where are the others?” Baekhyun asked. There were only them next to each other in front of the television.

“Uh...sleeping?”

It was not the first time for Chanyeol and Baekhyun to be awake in the middle of the night just the two of them, but now that Chanyeol knew Baekhyun’s feeling, he felt very uncomfortable. Mainly because his heart was pounding loudly. Chanyeol was someone who could not keep things to himself. He knew that he had to talk to Baekhyun about this whole thing. If Baekhyun liked him then he had to hear it directly from him.

“Chanyeol...”

“Yeah?”

“How are you?”

Chanyeol knew that what Baekhyun meant by that was about his feeling for Kris. Sometimes, Baekhyun just knew too much. He knew when Chanyeol felt down, happy, or content. He knew too much about Chanyeol, maybe even more than Chanyeol himself.

“I’m doing good so far.”

Chanyeol could feel gentle touch on his shoulder and suddenly he was paralyzed. He felt blood was rushing to both of his cheeks.

“I’m glad to hear that.” Baekhyun smiled gently.

Chanyeol looked at him. That smile was gorgeous. Why do I feel this way? I like Kris, don’t I? So why...Why do I feel this way toward Baekhyun?

“Keep smiling like always, okay?” now Baekhyun was brushing his hair.

Chanyeol smiled back and held Baekhyun’s hand. Baekhyun was startled, but held him back. The shorter man swallowed once and looked straightly into his eyes.

“Chanyeol-ah, if I told you I like you, how would you react?” Baekhyun asked, he tried to make it sounded like a joke. Chanyeol grinned at the question because he already knew about Baekhyun’s feeling.

 

Sometimes, we do not notice that love is in front of our eyes. You just have to take a look around you and open your heart.

 

He clearly remembered what Kris had told him and maybe...this was the right time.

“Maybe I would answer that I like you too.”

“Why is that?” Baekhyun chuckled.

“Because you are always by my side, you’re always very gentle to me...well, everyone too. You always listen to me, every single word I said. You always cheer me up when I’m down. Bust most of all, you understand about me more than anyone else.” Chanyeol answered. Maybe it was too soon to say this because he had just experienced broken heart, but Chanyeol knew that he also had the chance to be happy. He wanted to be happy just like everyone else. And if it meant he had to choose, he chose to be with Baekhyun.

“and what if it’s true that I like you?”

Chanyeol almost laughed but he tried to calm down.

“Then the answer is I like you too.”

Baekhyun stared at him for a while, afraid that he misheard everything. “Can you repeat that?”

“You’re deaf or something? I like you too. There, I said it.” Chanyeol smacked his head. Baekhyun frozed.

“So...so, you and I...we...”

“Would you please be my boyfriend, Byunbaek?” Chanyeol grinned from ear to ear.

Baekhyun smiled and it was the most beautiful smiled that Chanyeol had ever seen from him. “I’d like to. Please take care of me from now on.”

 

Thank you, Kris-hyung. I’m happy now.

 

....and when Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s waist, Chanyeol realized that it was love afterall. 

 

A/N next chapter is epilogue. it's almost finished. I don't want this to stop surprise

I cried after I finished this chapter.

I hope you guys like it :')