Chapter 4

Curiousity Killed the Cat

 

It would be a big fat lie if Minhyuk were to say he didn't envy his two younger groupmates, with their love shamelessly blossoming for each other. He envied how one could openly express his feelings for the other and how their feelings were mutual, they made it seem so easy, so natural when infact it's something that people in general would consider taboo. It was never easy, he had his share of bad experiences, some he would never forget.

 

There would be times where he would just sit down and think, why? Why him? Despite the physical appearance of Jaehyo's which one would consider exceptionally beautiful for a guy or even more beautiful than many girls, Minhyuk knew that he was straight, definitely more straight than Zico atleast.

 

The beauty of the taller boy was something and was definitely the first thing that caught Minhyuk's attention when they first met. At first he expected him to be possibly the stuck up kind or the type who was more classy and sophisticated but the boy's true nature contradicted with his image. It was his nature, how he was awkward and kind, how he knew he was once the one who lacked most but put in his all to become better, how he was always there for the other members despite how much they bullied him, all these little things about him which made Minhyuk take interest. Slowly his heart grew fonder and his feelings developed into so much more.

 

Everything about the other boy was perfect to him, so perfect it hurt. If there was anything he could ask for, it was for Jaehyo to be his but that was always a slap to reality.

 

That would never happen.

 

The only other person (aside from Zico) who knew was Taeil. The quiet little man knew many things and this was one of them. He knew very well of how Minhyuk felt and honestly felt bad everytime Jaehyo would pay attention to him, which is why there would be times where he'd literally yank the taller one off him, though Minhyuk honestly didn't mind too much but he appreciated the gesture.

 

There would be times when the two dancers would stay back till late night to practice on their own and now days it would even be the time when Yukwon would spill his confusion to his hyung. However there would also be times where Jaehyo would occassionally join them because he felt he needed it. They would guide him and he'd use the time to catch up if he was behind in anything.

 

During practice Jaehyo approached Minhyuk, “ Is it okay for me to tag along if you're practicing tonight? “. The raven haired boy's heart raced for a second, he was thankful he knew how to remain calm on the outside, “ Sure, you're always welcome “. “ Thanks “ Jaehyo flashed his smile, that beautiful smile he loved so much. How he wished that smile was for him and only for him.

 

“ Ah Minhyuk hyung I don't think I'll be joining today “, Yukwon popped up from behind his dancer hyung, giving the two a shock, “ I'm quite pooped from practice today “. Minhyuk remained silent, thoughts were running through his mind. It was only going to be the two of them tonight, he panicked on the inside for a moment. “ You go back and rest then, Minhyuk-ah and I can still practice “, the uljjang turned to his friend , “ Right? “. The other hesistated for a moment, then nodded , “ Yeah “.

 

What am I going to do?

 

 

This happened once before and the night was pretty much filled with silence. Awkward, that was how it could be decribed as. Sure, it was a nice excuse for Minhyuk to be alone with the person he liked, no, someone he loved, but there wouldn't be anything more to it. Butterflies filled his stomach, he felt like there was something clenching onto his heart, it felt heavy.

 

Would this be an opportunity?

 

He shook his head at the thought. It would be crazy to even think of it that way. Shrugging it off for the moment, he went back to practice, hopefully able to forget about it for the moment.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

 

Towards the end of the practice session, the members started to leave one by one, the nervous feelings that started building up in Minhyuk's chest were good enough to make him go insane. Just then the tall leader approached him, whispering to his hyung, “ Good luck “. He snickered. Minhyuk shot him a look, Zico threw his head back and laughed , “ Opportunities don't always come, you have to take risks in life “. With that, he left laughing signalling 'okay', leaving a very much frazzled dancer who now had his hands running through his own hair messily, as if about to rip them out.

 

“ Are you okay? “

“ Ah y-yeah I'm fine. I just have some things on mind “

 

And so, they started their late night practice, going through their choreographies and possible new ones that TMF had planned for them. From time to time Jaehyo would ask Minhyuk for his opinions, which just meant an opportunity to watch him without raising any suspicion. Observing his every move, allowing himself to enjoy every second of it. The taller boy was awkward and would occassionally stumble but Minhyuk had to admit, he had come a long way, his improvement definitely showed which made Minhyuk feel proud and very impressed. The expressions he made, the way his hair bounced, how his hands awkwardly did not know how to move in coordination, his tall body frame, and slim neck...

 

“ So was that okay? “

 

He was caught in a daze, admiring Jaehyo for too long. Blood rushed to his ears, thankfully covered by his hair, “ Yeah that's better “. That was close, though Jaehyo most likely wouldn't have noticed. A sense of accomplishment showed on Jaehyo's face, he was smiling proudly, Minhyuk couldn't help but find it adorable. Oh how his heart ached.

 

Wiping his sweat with his towel then drinking from his water bottle, the scene before the raven haired boy at that moment might have been a bit too much to take. His sweat glistened in the lights of the studio, slowly dripping down the structure of his face, down the slope of his neck, infact his hair was quite wet from all the sweat. The expression on the taller boy's face as he gulped down his water, it seemed somewhat , atleast to Minhyuk it did. He felt like he was going to go crazy and snap any time then. This was practically playing before his very eyes.

 

This is bad, this is bad.

 

He snapped himself out of it and went back to dancing, trying to distract himself once again, not realizing his movements had gone weird, Jaehyo watching him all puzzled, not having the slightest idea what was happening.

 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

 

1.48 am.

 

 

Jaehyo checked the time on his phone, “ Minhyuk-ah I think it's time we head back, it's late “.

 

The boys gathered their things to leave, putting whatever was out of place in the studio away, checking if everything was off. Just before Minhyuk flicked the switch to turn the lights off a thought came to mind, maybe now was his chance to atleast maybe say something? Flicking the switch off, he closed the studio door, Jaehyo waiting about three steps ahead of him, “ You didn't forget anything right? “ . Minhyuk shook his head in confirmation and took a step forward.

 

This might be my only chance.

 

As they headed to the building entrance to leave, Minhyuk felt this might've been the right time, maybe not for a confession but to atleast say something, anything, just to have some sort of advancement or reassurance of whatever. He felt he needed to do something.

 

“ Um, Jaehyo-ah. “

 

“ What is it? “

 

“ … I... “

 

They paused there for a moment, Jaehyo had turned around to Minhyuk, keeping his eyes on him waiting for an answer.

 

“ … Well ㅡ “

 

 

“ Hey guys are you going back now? “

 

There came Zico, bursting out of the recording studi,o giving the two older boys the shock of their lives, infact a little scream came out from Jaehyo who almost fell over.

 

“ Oh did I scare you? I'm sorry “ Zico started laughing like how he always does.

 

“ You think? “ Minhyuk raised an eyebrow at him.

 

He continued laughing, “ Do you guys mind waiting for me? I'm closing everything up now. I was mixing some stuff we could possibly use later on “.

 

Ofcourse, they had no choice but to wait. Minhyuk had his face in his palms, hiding the cringe on his face. Ah, the irony that the person who urged him to do something was the one to interrupt the moment. He groaned in dissapointment and at the time Jaehyo was still trying to calm his heart rate from the sudden scare.

 

So much for that.

 

And so they left the building and headed back to their dorm.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Comments are always very much appreciated! Feel free to tell me what you think :)