Chapter 9

THE ANNOYING JERK

 

A triangle of white light was advancing from the outside into the art room, over the edge of the rustic oak floor, which lay untacked on the floor covering.

Dara blanked out as she rubbed her eyes, clearly class was too early for her.

 

“Good morning Dara-shi.” from a husky voice beside her.

 

“Oh hey, good morning.. ermm I forgot your name.. sorry.” She greeted as she tucked her parka outercover tighter around her petite body, flashing an apologetic smile.

 

“It’s alright, I don’t expect you to, miss popular. It’s wooyoung.” He shined a small grin.

 

“Ah yes, Wooyoung. And no, I’m not any miss popular. Believe me. I’m actually the opposite.” She snickered.

 

“It’s nice.” He whispered.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Your smile... It’s nice to look at.” He divulged as he look down at his opened art history book.

 

“Oh. Thanks wooyoung. You’ve got a nice smile too.” She grinned as she gave her compliments.

Just as Wooyoung was about to say something, the lecturer arrived and Art History Class started.

 

 

“Remember to get your assays base on Chapter 3 done by Friday!” the art teacher exclaimed as the bell struck.

Dara quickly packed up her stuff. She was thrilled knowing that the next class would be with Jiyong.

 

“Dara-shi, would you like to study with me today? Maybe we could work on our essays together.” Wooyoung pondered. It felt as if he had been thinking of this question the whole lesson.

 

“Ya sure, of course I’d loved too.” Dara agreed with a smile as she swung her bag across her petite shoulders and hugged her books towards her chest.

 

“Today? After school, my place?” Wooyoung asked with enthusiasm.

 

“Yes sure. Why not I call you when class ends and we’ll meet then.” she placed her books down as she handed over her phone.

 

“Great. Can I walk you to class?”

 

“Ermm, my friend is walking with me. Maybe next time wooyoung. See you later alright!!” she beamed as she rushed out of class.

 

“See ya miss popular.” Wooyoung teased.

Dara looked back and scrunched her nose trying to look annoyed.

 

 

Wooyoung chuckled but his expression turned emotionless as he sighed, “Sorry Dara.”

 

 

 

 

DARA POV

 

I couldn’t let wooyoung walk me to class. What if Jiyong gets the wrong idea again? Now that I’m certain that Jiyong likes me, I need to make this work!!

 

Finally I reached Mr Lee’s class panting after zooming up 4 flights of stairs. I’m obviously not in the most perfect condition to see Jiyong. Panting and my brown curls were plastering all over my face because of my sweat. Thanks sweat, thanks stairs. Now I’ll probably look like crap to Jiyong. Well, I always do.

 

He is probably sitting there effortlessly looking like an angel.

 

As I turned in and knocked on the door, Jiyong glanced up and I swear we had the most electrifying eye contact ever. It was at if we haven’t seen each other for a really long. As if he was trying to tell me he missed me with his eyes…

 

And yes, I was right about him sitting there looking like an angel. He wore a soft white v-neck tee with a baseball cap holding his fringe up.

 

I bet he was too lazy to style his hair. I bet he woke up late. Okay, I’m starting to feel like a freaking stalker.

 

“Hi” I gently settled myself down, trying hard not to show how messed up I am.

 

“Hmm” Jiyong acknowledged as he adjusted his cap.

 

I remained as still as a rock, waiting for class to start. I couldn’t take the awkwardness. Jiyong is acting like last night never happened.

Did I do something wrong?

What’s going on? I’m confused…

 

“Dara, breathe.” Jiyong reminded as he took a glance at me.

No wonder I felt out of breathe. I was literally not breathing as all those thoughts ran through my mind.

 

“You alright?” Jiyong asked nonchalantly, finally looking at me straight in the eye.

 

“Yes, I’m fine.” I sighed.

 

Class started, but I couldn’t concentrate at all. My thoughts were filled with Jiyong and why he is acting as thou last night’s conversation never happened.

Being lost in my thoughts, a paper was slipped under my hand.

Jiyong wrote,

 

So ugly duckling, how much will I have to pay you to be my study partner? - J

 

I couldn’t help but turn and stared at him in surprise and gave a slight smile. He actually remembered.

 

Well maybe you could treat me to dinner. – D

 

That’s easy enough, number please. I need to be able to contact my study partner to arrange a date.  – J

 

I shivered at the word “date”. Is jiyong asking me on an actual date?!!?????

 

Like a date? – D

 

It’s a day where we get together to study? Isn’t that called a date? – J

 

O yes. 010-987-0032. – D

 

How about tonight? – J

 

I can’t I’ve already made plans with someone else. – D

 

I noticed how he frowned as he read my reply.

 

Who – J

 

Wooyoung, a guy from my Art History Class. Just a friend. – D

 

Looks like ugly duckling is on a roll. I’ll text you when I need to study. – J

 

Alright, text me asap!! – D

 

Desperate to text me? – J

 

Oh god no – D

 

Stop trying to flirt with me – J

 

Seriously Jiyong? – D

 

He crushed the piece of conversation paper when he noticed Krystal walking towards us. Class has ended and we didn’t even notice. That was how absorbed we were in our conversation.

 

“Jiyong, my brother Siwon is having this big crazy party this Saturday. You’re coming right?” Krystal purred as she bends down slightly leaning on our table, showing us both her deep cash card swipe. (I call it that but it’s actually her cleavage.)

 

“No reason not to be there.” Jiyong assured flashing his to-die-for smile.

 

“Great, I’ll see you there.” Krystal said before giving us both her famous y smile.

 

Krystal that fake !! WHAT DOES SHE WANT WITH JIYONG UGH!!!!!

 

“Jealous ducky?” Jiyong teased as he snapped his fingers in my face to snap me out of my zoning spirit.

 

“Not at all.” I scoffed as I stomped out of class.

 

 

==

 

 

Wooyoung was waiting for me at the back of school gate which was odd because it’s so remote there. Literally no one actually goes to that gate.

To my huge surprise, a car and chauffeur was actually waiting for us there.

 

“Erm wooyoung I thought we were gonna ride the bus” I joked.

 

“Just get in, this is our ride.” He laughed.

 

The car was almost mostly gold plated inside and there is a partition between the driver and the passengers. The chauffeur was suited in a black tuxedo wearing black shades. To be honest, he looks like a scary bodyguard from a movie.

 

We chatted during the drive, about school, classes and teachers. Wooyoung is actually kinda humorous behind his stiffness. Now that I think of it, he is as stiff as Kwon Jiyong. Just that Wooyoung is 1000x nicer and more well-mannered. I guess that’s actually a really big difference.

 

I shouldn’t even compare the two of them. Who am I to do that?

 

 

==

 

 

We arrived. Let me tell you how astonished I was at the amazing palace before my eyes as I peeked out the car window. Two bodyguards / door men came to open the cars’ doors for us. I felt like I just entered a palace.

The place was grand. It was like what you'll imagine from a fairy tale princess story's castle. There was a gigantic fountain right in front of his lobby, I mean "porch". Domestic helpers and security guards scattered around the place. From my estimation, this place definitely have more than 4 levels.

 

Woo young took the books I was hugging onto as he lead me to the lift.

 

"Dara-shi your mouth has been open since we got here." He chuckled.

“Sorry. I just can’t help it.” I whispered as thou I was out of breath.

 

As we were walking to the lift, the walkway was surrounded with crystal clear glass and I could see the garden from here.

 

The garden had gooses and ducks and as if it was filled with every known flower on earth known to man. I’m wasn’t that surprise when I spotted a freaking horse stable.

This house is amazing. I can't even...

 

"Dara-shi"

 

"Neh?" I answered still having my eyes and attention towards the magnificent garden.

 

"The lift is here."

 

"Oh okay." I said as I walked with him without taking my eyes off the greenery view.

 

I felt like I just entered the president's building. This is surreal.

 

The two entered his study room. It had walls covered with books and had a full wall length window, furniture that looked like they were manufactured during the Victorian times.

“Wooyoung, your house is breathe-taking. It literally took my breath away.”

“Thanks.My parents do have a thing for old-age things.” he joked as he grinned with his hands in his pocket.

 

After finally settling down, they both got immersed in their books and assignments.

 

 

==

 

 

“You’re close to Kwon Jiyong?” Wooyoung asked out of a sudden.

 

“Not really. He is my best friend’s brother, that’s why we kinda hang out at the same house that’s all.” Dara answered as she read an article on her laptop.

 

“Oh. I suppose you’re close then?” Wooyoung asked again, hoping to get the answer he wants.

 

“Sort of. Why do you ask?” Dara tilted her head slightly, looking at Wooyoung like an innocent curious kitten.

 

“I thought you liked him that’s all… Do you?” Wooyoung asked as his eyes flickered from Dara’s face to his laptop hoping to catch her reaction to his question.

 

Dara jumped up from her seat and placed the cup of water she was sipping down,

 

“*Cough cough* WHAT?? ME LIKE KWON JIYONG?!!!? NOOOO NOO NO.” Dara exclaimed as she waved her hands around.

 

“ME AND THAT ROCK HEAD, HAHHHAA THAT’S RIDICULOUS…. No I don’t like him.” Dara said at last as she tried to settle herself back down.

 

“HAHAHA okay I think I got it. Relax, I was just casually asking.” Wooyoung chuckled, trying to hide his laughter.

 

 

==

 

 

Wooyoung personally whipped up 2 plates of delicious Olio Cheese Pasta for the two of them in his fancy marble-tiled kitchen. 4 helpers watched them as they ate at the grand dining table.

Dara wasn’t use to the deafening environment and undivided attention from helpers when she’s having her dinner. She darted her eyes around feeling as awkward as ever as she took a bite of the pasta in front of her

 

“Whats wrong Dara-shi, does it taste bad?” Wooyoung asked with concern in his eyes.

 

“No… Its just that… Its kinda awkward having people looking at me when i eat.” Dara let off an awkward giggle.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Wooyoung said as he waved his hand in command for the helpers to leave the room.

 

 

Wooyoung personally drove Dara back to her house with his white Bentley. They parked and walked up her porch and reached her door steps.

 

“Your parents aren’t home yet?” Wooyoung said as he looked around the front porch, taking in the environment Dara lives in.

 

“My parents are off in Africa for the next 5 months. My aunt visits me at times.”

 

“Anyways, thank you Wooyoung-shi. I really enjoyed myself and it was really productive.” Dara bowed

 

Dara was about to head in when Wooyoung grabbed her arm causing her to turn back, he gently held her there and lightly pecked her cheek.

 

“I enjoyed your company very much too. I hope to get to spend more time with you Dara-shi.” Wooyoung said. He stepped off the patio and sauntered back to his car.

 

Dara was left standing there dumbfounded by what just happened as if time had stopped. Her hands held her cheeks as they blushed making her look as red as a tomato. She stood there as still as statue and waved back unknowingly when Wooyoung waved from his car.

As the car left, she still remain at her door steps thinking and rewinded what just happened in her head. When out of nowhere, she felt a presence.

 

 

There was a rustle in the bushes and shadows playing among the leaves.

Dara jumped as she lost her train of thoughts, gripping onto her books as she adjusted her eyes into the darkness around her.

Her eyes darted everywhere as she gripped her books tightly. 

“Jiyong?...”  Dara mumbled unsure, taking steps back, as she notice a fast pacing figure approaching her. 

 

 

 


alice in wonderland animated GIF

!!! Please comment & subscribe!!!                                                     

 xx