Chapter 8 : Zelo

B.A.P. ONESHOTS!

BLOOMING LOVE

_________________________
It was pouring outside and I was sitting by the window in my room. Staring off into space as the drops of water ran across the smooth glass. The thunder roared but I couldn’t care less about it. The room temperature was getting colder by the second. My family was busy entertaining our neighbor whose house got a black out. Though my family is really close with our neighbors, I didn’t really converse with them. Not once.  Their distant laughter behind the door could be heard as they conversed. I was in a daze, holidays were boring and most of my friends were busy with their part-time jobs. Don’t think I’m some lazy spoiled girl digging money from my parents. I just don’t know how to find a job. Call me stupid, I’m only book smart.

Knock Knock

My attention turned towards my bedroom door. The door knob twisted and my mother’s head popped in.

“Our dear Junhong needs to use the bathroom, can he use yours?” My mother asked. I simply shrugged my shoulders and my mother’s lips tugged into a smile. She pushed the door wider to reveal a rather tall guy with baby looks.
tumblr_mckrj7vhI11qg24h1o1_500.gif
He politely bowed to my mother and cautiously entered my room. I watched as he scanned my room for the bathroom.

“It’s over there.” I nonchalantly said as I pointed to the door at the corner.
“Ah. Thank you.” He bowed and went in. *Weird guy.*

“~~~~~-ah,” My mother called out to me and I looked at her, “spend some time with him. I’m guessing he’s feeling a little out of place with us adults out there.” I stared at her; dumbfounded. “Where’s Hana? Why can’t she play with him?” I questioned.

“She’s asleep. Besides, he’s around your age.” My mother explained. I groaned and hugged my legs. “Please?” My mother’s gentle voice melted my heart instantly.
“I never said I wouldn’t.” I mumbled but refused to turn to my mother. “I love you.” She said and closed the door. I could sense a smile on her face as she said it.

*Why me…* I sighed and I heard the toilet flush before the guy walked out of the bathroom. Carefully he closed the door and awkwardly started to make his way out of my room. With a heavy heart; I sighed and called out to him. He abruptly turned to me. “Yes?” He quickly replied. I nodded my head towards the space in front of me indicating him to seat. He did a double take and gave me a questioning look. “Have a seat. I know you don’t want to be sitting among them adults.” I simply said with a bored tone and continued to look out the window. He hesitate a little before making his way to sit in front of me; sitting very awkwardly. I noticed sat with my legs crossed at the ankles.

“I’m ~~~~~, 16 this year.” I held out my hand. He flinched but returned the hand shake.

“Choi Junhong. I’m 16 too.” He bowed his head a little as he said it. This boy is well-mannered I guess. I raised a brow at him. “You’re 16? You’re kidding me right? Being this tall, there’s no way you’re 16.”

He gave me a small smile, “I’m naturally tall and I am really 16.” I couldn’t believe it though. He was taller than any of the guys of my age I knew but since he insisted he was my age, I accepted it. “I’m not the type of conversational person. So, I’ll let you do the talking.”  I told him.

 “Uh. Okay?” He scratched his head. The seconds, minutes passed but he hasn’t said a word. In my head I was thinking that he was probably not the chatter-box type either.

“Guess you don’t talk much either huh?” I finally spoke. I saw him slightly blush and nod his head. “Looks like we’re the same then,” I looked around the room for something to do or at least keep us entertained until he has to leave. I sighed as I saw that there was nothing much to do and I didn’t know what he liked to do either. He too was looking around my room, analyzing it like it was some kind of crime scene.

“I can see you’re not the girly type.” He pointed out.
I shrugged my shoulders, “I’m just not very interested in girl stuff most of the time.”
Then he grabbed my skateboard that was near him. “You skate?!” He asked bewildered. I nodded my head. “I skate too!” He exclaimed. I was amused and sat up properly.

“Really? How long has it been? Know some tricks up your sleeve?” I found myself interested in him now.
“I’ve been skateboarding since forever! It’s my life.” He said as he examined my skateboard.

He began to talk about how he started skating and his skater friends. I sat there listening intently and replying to him once in a while. Slowly I was beginning to get drawn by him. Something about him talking about his skateboarding makes me feel happy. He stopped talking when he met eyes with me. “I’m sorry. I’m probably boring you out right now. I’ll stop talking about myself.”

I shook my head and smiled, “It okay. I don’t really mind. You seem to really love skateboarding. Zelo was it? What your friends call you?” He returned my skateboard at its original place and sat back down; nodding. Looks like I have something in common with my neighbor after all. I stole a quick glance at the clock and noticed it was only 4 in the afternoon. I sighed once more.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.
I noticed we were sitting side by side by now, “Nothing, just bored.”
Zelo nodded his head again and looked around the room again. “Maybe we should hang out sometime. Go the skate park or something…”He suggested.
“Yeah, that will be great.”

Silence filled the room and I couldn’t think of any other things to talk about. The awkwardness died down quite a little but it was still lingering somehow. I felt like I was on my first date or something being nervous sitting next to him.

“Are you hungry?” I asked out of the blue. He shook his head and it grew silent again.
*You should’ve just said yes.* I inwardly thought.

“You know….actually I’ve been wanting to get to know you.” Zelo confessed.
My eye brows furrowed at the statement and turned to him “And why is that?”
He looked all shy and scared at the same time.
“I thought you looked pretty. So…I wanted to get to know you.”

My eyes widened. *Is he trying to confess to me?* “You want to know me ‘coz I’m pretty?”
He shook both his head and both his hands all at once. “I don’t mean it like that.”
“Then?” I know I was putting pressure on him but I just wanted to make sure. My heart was beating hard against my chest and I felt nervous but I held it in and appeared calm.
“I-I-I think…I l-like y-you.” He stammered. His cheeks coloured and avert my gaze on him.
“You…think?” I felt my own self blush at the thought of someone liking me.
“I mean, you’re really pretty and and and….” His voice trailed off.
I was lost for words. What was I supposed to say to him? I barely know him.

 

Knock Knock. “Junhong, the electricity is back on.” We heard Mrs Choi’s voice. The both of us jumped and awkwardly stood up. I walked over to the door first and opened it. Mrs Choi was standing there with a huge smile.
“Hello there ~~~~-ah… How have you been?” Zelo quietly made his way to the living room. “I’m fine.” I smiled back.

“I heard from your mother that you’re having a dance competition tomorrow. I wish you all the best okay?” Mrs Choi patted my back and went back to her husband. I saw Zelo looking at me with a surprised expression. We kept our eye contact for a while before my mother called for me from the kitchen.

Soon after, the Choi family left and I returned back to my room after dinner. My mind was wondering off the whole night but I managed to put myself to sleep.

*Choi Junhong, my neighbor likes me.*

 

~~~~***~~~~

 

I was stretching my limbs and muscles backstage, eager to get on that stage. My passion for dance was burning strong. I felt someone nudge me and I looked up to see two of my team members grinning. “Do you think we’ll win this time?” Hyeri asked.
“We’ll win for sure.” JongUp said as he rolled his shoulders and rotated his neck.
I straightened up and looked at the group performing before us, “I just want to get on that stage.”

“That is a definite yes.” Hyeri laughed.

“Let’s do one last cheer before they call us up on stage.” JongUp smiled his angelic smile.

“Okay.” Hyeri and I agreed and we did our little small cheer to boost our spirits up.

We heard the announcer call up our name and on cue we went up on stage. I felt like I was at peace. Everything was so heavenly. I loved being on stage. Dancing was my one of my best talents and I’m proud of being able to show it. I spotted my parents and Hana among the crowd then I froze for a second. That tall figure was easily spotted among the crowd. Zelo was there. I missed a beat due to the shock but managed to catch up. The crowd cheered as we ended the performance. I saw my family cheering too. I turned to where I saw Zelo but he was no where to be found. I frowned thinking I was seeing things. When we went off stage I was in a daze for a second then JongUp knocked me back into reality. Everything ended and my team got 3rd place. It wasn’t disappointing though. I never entered to win. JongUp was a little down for a second but he returned to that angelic smiling JongUp soon after. Hyeri was just jumping up and down with the medal around her neck.

“We should join again next year!” Hyeri giggled.
“I heard there’s a dance off coming up soon. You guys up for it?” JongUp smiled.
I was delighted by the news, “Call!”
“Whoa, who’s that?” Hyeri whispered as her gaze fixed on that ‘who’. Both me and JongUp turned our heads to see Zelo waving at us.

*. Is he waving at me?!* I panicked for a little while but then JongUp reacted and called for him. Zelo came over and bowed at us. JongUp stood next to him.

“This here is Zelo. He’s my little hoobae. I invited him to see our routine. He’s a great dancer.” JongUp introduced.
“He’s not that little though…”Hyeri commented, “I’m Hyeri.”
“Zelo.”
JongUp was about to introduce me when Zelo beat him to it.
“Nice to see you again ~~~~-ah.” I saw Zelo’s eyes sparkled as he said my name. My heart fluttered a little. JongUp was stunned. “You know her?”

I bit my lower lip and explained, “We’re neighbors.”
“REALLY?” Hyeri was clearly shocked.

Zelo’s eyes never left mine that was when he held a hand out towards me. I was taken aback. “May I talk to you for a minute?” Zelo asked.
I blinked at him. I felt JongUp and Hyeri’s eyes on me. Slowly I slid my hand onto his and nodded my head. “Be right back…” I muttered as I followed Zelo.

Zelo brought me to a much quieter place where there were lesser people and away from the event. I was afraid of what he was going to say. Different scenarios played in my head and finally Zelo spoke. “Uhm…About yesterday…”
“Yeah?” I croaked.
“Do you feel the same way?” His eyes searched mine. I realized that I was still holding his hand. I didn’t know how to reply to him. It’s not everyday that I get confessed to.

“Zelo…I just got to know you and…” I started off then I saw him being slightly disappointed. I felt a pang of guilt hit me, hard. “I mean, I’m willing to get to know you more…”
Zelo nodded his head in understanding. “I’m sorry for rushing you.”
I felt the hurt he was bearing which was making me wonder how long he has liked me. I wanted to make him feel better, plus, he does seem like a nice type of boyfriend material.  

“Zelo…” I called out to him.
“Hmm?” He replied while looking down on the ground. His hand left mine.

After much debate with myself, I tip-toed and placed my hand on his shoulders for balance. Softly, I placed a kiss on his cheek hoping it’ll make him feel better. I saw Zelo’s sudden change and smiled.
“Stop sulking,” I chuckled, “Now, how about we hang out soon?”  
“Like a date?!” Zelo was getting excited. I shrugged my shoulders.
Then he took my hand in his once again. “Can I take you on a date now?”
“Now? Where to?” I asked. “I’m hungry.” He innocently said.
I couldn’t help but to start liking him already. “Com’on let’s go.” I walked forward but he pulled me back.

“What?” I asked him. He stood there for a while then finally he gave me a small peck on the cheek before running off. I stared blankly at him running off. I touched my cheek and shook my head. “CHOI JUNHONG!” I yelled and chased after him and he laughed.

“I LOVE ~~~~~-ah!” He shouted at the top of his lungs.