7

Still Sit Here Alone

 

“Hey there,” Selina greeted as she grabbed his hand.

“Hebe said you’d be back,” Johnny continued to smile holding Selina’s hand tightly.

“And there you are,” Hebe said, hands on hips as she appeared around the corner. “I was wondering if you’d keep your promise.”

Selina smiled back and walked toward Hebe.

“Well…I had to make a change of plans…” Selina awkwardly excused as she thought about the restaurant.

“I see,” Hebe started, “um…about yesterday.”

Selina looked away from her eyes already aware that Hebe just wanted to apologize. Since Aaron did too much apologizing yesterday night she was tired of hearing their "sorries".

“It’s alright. I didn’t take it to the heart,” Selina smiled. “You don’t have to apologize.”

“Are you sure? Still…” Hebe said before pausing.

“It’s ok. Really,” Selina tried to sound convincing.

Hebe sighed and nodded.

“Their parents should be here in about two hours or so,” Hebe started and went on.

Selina played games with the kids during the rest of the time they had left. Work there was pretty light and easy for her. Now she could understand why Hebe liked her job so much.

“So what about you?” Hebe asked. “You work in that restaurant?”

Selina nodded.

“Is that what you wanted to do?” questioned Hebe.

Selina smiled, "There was something else I’d rather do…but I don’t think I have the chance for that anymore.”

“What did you want to do?” 

Selina seemed lost in space for a moment before answering, “A journalist. I really liked writing.”

“Whoa!” Hebe exclaimed. “Then why didn’t you? It’s not really fun doing something you don’t like.”

“I just couldn’t,” Selina replied.

“Why not? Looking at you, you could have been able to become a journalist if you wanted.” 

“I couldn’t attend University,” Selina said quietly.

“You couldn’t? Why not?” Hebe questioned.

Selina just shook her head in reply and said nothing more. Hebe stared at her feeling sympathy.

“I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to become a journalist one day, and when you do you have to write about me and my day care!” Hebe exclaimed excited in her stead.

“Thanks.” 

After the parents came to pick up their kids Hebe cleaned around a little and locked the doors to the day care.

“What a day, huh?” Hebe said.

“Yea.”

“So where are you going?” Hebe asked.

“Uh…well…” Selina went on.

“How about the restaurant? I’ve wanted to go there but I haven’t had the chance,” Hebe said.

“Well…” Selina stopped. “Sure, why not?”

Hebe smiled but felt extreme joy inside because she would be able to see Aaron.

***

Aaron could hear the door open but he didn’t raise his head. He had felt a little anger ease itself inside him and he had used it on Sam and Calvin. Moreover, he was extremely annoyed and moody because Selina hadn’t appeared.

“Hi, how are you today?” Aaron asked lazily still not looking up.

“Aaron! Aaron!” he could hear Calvin whispering over to him.

Irritated he glanced back at Calvin with a glare, “What?!” 

Calvin pointed over at the counter and sighed a frustrated sigh. Aaron looked up to see Selina standing behind the counter. A smile appeared on his face immediately. Selina made no reply back but moved to the side to let Hebe come into view.

Aaron’s smile dropped.

“Hi,” Hebe greeted. “I hope you weren’t to frustrated with yesterday…”

Aaron turned away from her when Calvin walked over.

“Did you get home ok?” Calvin asked.

“I told you how my mom would be…” Hebe said as she went on talking to Calvin but silently glanced at Aaron whenever she could.

“Hey, Selina,” Sam greeted. “Who’s this gal with you?”

“Hebe,” Selina introduced.

“Nice to meet you,” Sam said squeezing between Calvin and Aaron.

“Hi,” Hebe greeted him right back.

“Hmm…” Sam said rubbing his chin. “Are you Aaron’s little girlfriend his mom picked out?”

Hebe’s face seemed to turn red and Sam let out a shout as Aaron stomped on his foot. The door opened and Sam quickly turned to see Jiro walk in.

“I had a feeling you’d be here,” he said walking over to Selina.

Selina did not move from her spot but stared at the ground underneath her.

“Wow, look what we have here,” Sam said. “Hey, Jiro this is Hebe.” Then he leaned toward Jiro whispering, “Aaron’s to be wife.” Then he leaned back and coughed. “Just letting you know in case you like her.”

Jiro let out a playful laugh, “You don’t have to worry about that.” Jiro slid his arm over Selina’s shoulders. “We’re getting married soon.”

“Really?” asked Sam. “Remember to invite me Selina! You can’t forget your boss!”

“If she doesn’t remember, I will,” Jiro promised with a smile made of gold.

“When?” asked Calvin.

“Selina hasn’t said yes yet, but I know she will soon,” Jiro replied confidently.

Selina smiled weakly back and tried her best to avoid everyone else’s gaze.

“So, heard you’re getting married to Aaron,” Jiro said to Hebe.

Aaron looked toward Jiro snapping, “Who says we are?! It’s just what mom wants! I’ll never do it! If I want to get married, I’ll marry someone I like!”

Selina bit her lip feeling a signal strike itself through her.

“We should go,” Selina suggested and walked toward the door.

Jiro bid his farewell to them and went after Selina leaving the rest to look at Aaron shocked.

“Are you ok?” Calvin asked.

“Shut up,” Aaron muttered turnign away from them.

“Hey, it was just a little joke, ok?” Sam apologized.

Aaron gritted his teeth.

“You think marriage is a joke?” Aaron swerved back to face them.

“That’s not what I meant,” Sam shook his head.

“Hey, if you’re mad don’t use it on us like this…well maybe you can, but not when someone else is around,” Calvin turned to look at Hebe.

Aaron stared at the wall ahead of him refusing to say anything else. He had suddenly felt a rush of anger when Jiro had mentioned about him and Selina getting married. Was that why she didn’t come that morning? Just to avoid him? Why?!

“I…I’ll go now,” Hebe hesitated and walked toward the door.

As the door closed Calvin walked toward Aaron, “Hey, don’t you know your manners?”

“Get away from me,” Aaron snapped.

He couldn’t help it, sometimes he felt as if he got his short temperament from his mother.

***

“You’re obviously angry at her, aren’t you?” asked Calvin trying to restrain his voice from yelling. Aaron did not reply, so Calvin went on, “If you’re angry at Selina, why didn’t you chase her out? You’re always silent with your feelings. If you like her so much you should let her know! Don’t always act so childish!”

Calvin sighed and walked out the door after Hebe. She wasn’t too far away when Calvin stepped out of the restaurant. He sighed and jogged after her.

“Hey,” Calvin said stopping behind her.

Hebe turned around to look at him with a surprised expression.

“What are you doing out here?” Hebe asked in a demanding voice.

Calvin smiled his big smile, “A lady’s not safe outside alone.”

Hebe stared at him for a few more seconds then turned away to face the street. They stood in momentarily silence until Hebe finally walked over to her car. Calvin got inside along with her and noticed an annoyed look on her face, though she didn’t say anything. After Hebe started the car Calvin spoke again.

“You said before that you like Aaron, right?” Calvin asked.

Hebe turned slowly to look at him, “What?”

“Would you do anything to get him to like you?” Calvin questioned.

Hebe frowned this time, “Why would I do that? You can’t force someone to like you.”

Calvin shrugged, “He’s really stubborn at times but I believe he doesn’t hate you.”

“I know he doesn’t hate me and I know he won’t like me.” 

“Whoever said he won’t like you?” Calvin asked. “If you take some time and try to talk to him, you might get to know him more and he’ll get to know you more. Who knows in the end he might like you after all.”

Hebe stared at Calvin, “But he likes someone else.”

“Uh…well…what if he forgets his feelings for her? It’s possible you know,” Calvin helped almost stuttering.

“I don’t know,” Hebe muttered staring out of the window.

“He’s only venting his anger on you,” Calvin pointed out, “it’s not good for girls to give up hope like this.”

“Why do you keep talking to me about this?” Hebe asked turning to look at him straight in the eye.

Calvin stared back silently then as he turned away he answered, “Because…because you deserve a chance.”

Hebe quickly averted her eyes to the road suddenly shy.

“You want me to drop you back at the restaurant?” asked Hebe.

“Here is fine,” Calvin said pointing to the corner of the street.

Hebe parked along the sidewalk and they sat in silence.

When Calvin began to unbuckle his seat belt and started to open the door Hebe quickly thanked him before he walked away. Hebe stared into her rearview mirror to watch as Calvin made his way down the street silently.

Suddenly she felt a small hope glow somewhere within her.

***

Sam stared over at the silent and still Aaron leaning against the wall as if he was glued to it. His eyes looked lifeless.

“I’ll leave you alone,” Sam suggested and walked out to leave Aaron alone.

Aaron did not move an inch away from where he was standing. He gazed at the ground then sighed. He didn’t know what was exactly was wrong with him, but Calvin was right. He was only mad at Selina. All of a sudden she and Jiro were getting married, so were all of his efforts just a waste? He didn’t want that.

Selina couldn’t marry Jiro. Aaron didn’t want to be selfish but he didn’t want her to be with Jiro.

How would he get over it now?