12

Still Sit Here Alone

***

Selina stared at the driveway Jiro had just driven into. Was she going to live like this for the rest of her life? Completely isolated within herself?

Jiro stopped the car and turned to look at Selina.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” asked Jiro.

Selina turned to Jiro engulfed in silence.

It took her a moment to bring up the energy to speak, “You go back to work. I won’t go anywhere until you come back.”

With that Selina got out of the car and walked toward the door. As she opened the door and closed it behind her she could hear Jiro drive away. She wondered if he suspected anything about her.

“You’re back,” Mrs. Wang greeted. “Did Jiro drive you back? Why didn’t he come in?”

“I told him to go back. It’s his first day after all,” Selina pointed out.

“It is,” she agreed then Selina noticed a rag in her hand.

“Are you cleaning?” Selina asked.

Jiro’s mother smiled cheerfully, “Would you like to help?”

Selina later found herself helping Jiro’s mother dust the house. A moment later Mrs. Wang opened the door to Jiro’s bedroom. It was the first time Selina had been there since she’d come to stay with them.

“His room used to always be so dirty,” Mrs. Wang said. “Jiro’s so grown up now.”

She grabbed a shirt from the closet and readjusted it.

“One day when you become his wife I’ll trust that you’ll look after him well.” 

Selina did not smile nor give any reaction to her words. She only looked about the room and found that it reflected Jiro a lot. A part of the wall was decorated with pictures from when Jiro was abroad with his buddies, his family, and times before he’d gone. It was obvious that he treasured every bit of it. His bed was made, neat and tidy. The floor was clean and everything was well organized. Selina jolted out of her thoughts as Jiro’s mother put her warm hand on Selina’s arm.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

“I was just thinking about something.” 

“Lets go clean the other room,” Mrs. Wang suggested and Selina followed her out only to find herself standing in front of the guest room where she’d been abducted.

Selina found herself gripping onto Mrs. Wang’s arm as they entered the dark room. After Mrs. Wang the lights, Selina glanced throughout the room. No one was in there, only a queen sized bed.

“Why don’t you go out? You’re a little tense today,” Mrs. Wang suggested.

Selina looked at Mrs. Wang and without a word stepped out into the hallway. Selina couldn’t shake the feeling away. The feeling that she could see him any minute. Selina went into the kitchen and grabbed a cold glass of water quickly chugging it down. Following a moment of silence was a tapping as if someone were throwing pebbles against the window. Feeling her lips tremble Selina clenched her hand into a tight fist and turned to look out of the window. No one was there. Selina quickly turned and walked into the living room dropping onto the couch and covered her face.

“I’m not going crazy. I don’t want to go crazy,” Selina cried to herself.

***

Selina’s mother let out a loud scream as the door opened.

“What in the world happened?! Are you ok?” she asked running over to the man she’d married after her first husband’s death.

“Just leave me alone,” he said without looking at her and walked into the bedroom shutting the door behind him.

Mei Mei, Selina’s younger sister, stared after him and quickly turned to head into her room making sure to lock the door behind her. She walked over to her desk and picked up a picture she’d taken with Selina before she’d been kicked out.

***

Aaron’s heart did not settle down even after he’d returned home. Was Selina in a lot of danger? Or was she being abused? He could feel his heart painfully ache for her. Did Jiro know? Did he have any clue about what she was going through? He wanted to go see her, but he was afraid. What if Jiro was there? What if another adult was there with Selina? What would they think of him visiting a woman who was about to get married?

***

Selina opened her eyes to find the lights dim. Alert she jolted up, but a hand gently stopped her. Her fast paced breathing did not slow down even as she recognized Jiro’s concerned face.

“Are you really alright?” Jiro asked.

Selina did not reply, but kept her eyes on him to make sure she wasn’t some place else.

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” he worried.

She could cry and lean on him and tell him of her misery, but she didn’t. They had been separated for too long already, it wouldn’t be the same. At least to Selina it wouldn’t hold the same meaning.

“What time is it?” Selina asked out of the blue.

“Somewhat past midnight,” Jiro replied.

“Then what are you doing here?” asked Selina. “You should be sleeping, you have work tomorrow…”

“Mom called me after you passed out,” Jiro replied feeling her forehead.

Selina turned her face away, “Is that so? Sorry.”

“I have something to show you,” Jiro said after a moment of silence.

He walked out of the room and came back with a painted box. As he sat next to her he handed her the box.

“Open it,” Jiro told.

Selina glanced at Jiro then turned to the box hesitating. After pressing her lips tightly together Selina forced herself to lift the lid. Inside lay a bunch of envelopes and folded papers. Selina turned to look at Jiro.

“Our first ones and our last ones, I kept them all,” Jiro seemed proud. “When I really missed you, I read through each one.”

Selina sniffed as she felt her nose become runny and tears well up, however she did not let them fall.

“You’re so childish,” Selina told, “for still keeping these.”

Her heart trembled. It felt like it was about to break. One more glimpse of the past and she wouldn’t be able to take it anymore. She was ready to leave it all behind and take a step away from it, but why did Jiro have to keep pulling her back? Why was he making her more pained?

Their eyes caught and Selina managed a smile onto her face. Jiro returned the smile and gave her a tight hug which to Selina seemed to last the whole night because he didn’t let go.

When Jiro finally let go he glanced at her closely and gave her a peck on the cheek, “Sleep well.”

With that Jiro left the bedroom, the box in her hands. Selina sat still for a moment and when she finally regained her consciousness she put the box on the ground and finally let her tears collapse down her face. Selina ran her hand over the box feeling its rough fine texture. With her shoulders shaking Selina bent over hugging the box. She was engulfed in so much fear and misery she was beginning to be afraid of letting Jiro see her now.

***

Selina hadn’t come back for a few days and Aaron was starting to feel more than worried about her. He’d often drifted off while cooking yesterday that Sam had kicked him out of the kitchen.

“Hi,” Hebe greeted as she walked in.

Aaron quickly drew back from spacing out. He stared at Hebe without a smile.

“Can I just get a croissant?” Hebe asked.

Aaron turned around and grabbed a wrapped croissant out of a hot box and handed it to Hebe without care. Before Hebe could get it, it had already dropped to the ground. Aaron made a face and turned around to grab another one.

“You don’t look like you’re in a good mood,” Hebe stated.

“Sorry,” Aaron apologized. “I’m just angry right now.”

Hebe seemed to look around then turned back to Aaron, “Have you seen Selina around?”

Aaron’s eyes lit up at her name, “She’s been resting these few days.”

Hebe smiled, “She’ll be back.”

Aaron glanced at Hebe wondering if she was assuring him about Selina’s return. Hebe waved and walked out. He somewhat regretted being mean to her, but whenever he saw her he always thought of the marriage his mother had set up. He didn’t want to spend the rest of his life with Hebe and he was sure there was someone better than him out there for her.

***

Hebe stopped halfway down the block and glanced back at the front of the restaurant. Aaron was obviously moody because Selina wasn’t there. It wasn’t hard for a girl to see through his feelings. Aaron was just like a book.

Taking a bite out of the croissant Hebe got into her car and drove off.

***

“Wait, wait! Why didn’t you tell her to wait?” asked Calvin hurrying to the counter and staring out of the window.

“Then why don’t you chase after her?” Aaron asked and turned away from Calvin.

“I was going to give her something to eat. You could’ve been nicer to her,” Calvin said. “Hebe was just trying to get to know you.”

Aaron glared at Calvin then dropped his glare.

“She doesn’t need to know me. She already knows me,” Aaron said, “we went to school together. We just never talked.”

“How is that knowing her?” Calvin shot back.

Aaron turned away from Calvin and stared out the window. The energy Hebe had given off told him she’d respect his wishes.

***

It was around dawn that Selina had suddenly woken up. Even though she had barely fallen asleep all night she felt wide awake. Surrounded by the four walls and laying still in bed trapped under the covers gave her the shivers. She hadn’t been out all day yesterday and she felt she was already suffocating. She felt that she needed to at least go out.

Glancing at the time Selina sat up, it was the perfect time because she didn’t want anyone to know her whereabouts. Pulling socks on Selina slipped on her shoes and headed out the door quickly. Biting her bottom lip Selina soon found herself standing in front of the familiar building.

***

Sam turned in bed over and over trying to ignore the ringing of the bell that became more and more persistent. After a minute and a half he pulled himself out of bed and dragged himself down the stairs.

“What is it!” he asked when he flung open the door.

Selina stared back up at him.

Sam suddenly felt more awake as he steadied his pose, “What…what are you doing here Selina?”

“I…I wanted to have a word with Aaron,” Selina replied slowly.

Sam looked outside and pulled Selina in locking the door.

“Go upstairs,” Sam told.

***

The door opened and the lights suddenly flashed on brightening the whole room. Calvin snuggled under the blanket and pulled it over his head.

“What are you doing? Turn it off,” Calvin mumbled.

When there was no reply Calvin moaned, “Sam!”

When there was no reply again Calvin got out from under the covers to find Selina standing at the door. Surprised Calvin quickly sat up gulping his saliva.

“What…” Calvin began.

“Get out,” Sam said coming from behind Selina.

Calvin frowned and turned to look across the room to see that Aaron was already sitting up in bed as surprised as he was. Without a word Calvin got up from his bed and walked out of the room. Without looking at Calvin, Selina entered the room closing the door after her.

“What the…” Calvin asked and turned to Sam.

“Something’s probably going on,” Sam assumed. “Lets go downstairs, or you can come sleep with me in my room.”

“Lets go sleep five more minutes,” Calvin said and walked into his uncle’s room.

***

Selina stood by the door for a second and made her way over to Aaron. Aaron made room for her to sit and when Selina did she didn’t say anything. He felt absurd to see her so early in the morning. All that went through his mind was, why was she there? It didn’t feel real to see her appearing in front of him…and at Sam’s. He felt confused. Selina suddenly clenched his arm and sounded as if she was choking.

“Is…are you ok?” Aaron questioned worried. “Selina, what’s wrong?”

Tears rushed through Selina’s eyes, they didn't give her enough time to wipe them all. Everything she’d kept to herself for the last two days had been killing her. The love and misery Jiro was giving her, her father’s death, and the fear of everything. Selina didn’t know how to explain everything. It was all too much and the only person she could cry to was him, Aaron.

“I’m…I’m so sorry,” Selina apologized and Aaron couldn’t understand what she said next.

He watched her achingly. Selina’s lips trembled as she tried to continue. She wiped her eyes with her arm and tried to calm down, but to no avail. Aaron was silent as Selina broke down beside him.

“I’m so scared, I don’t know,” Selina muttered.

“What are you afraid of?” Aaron asked. “Did something happen?”

Selina drew back her runny nose and did not say anything.

“The person that broke into my home…” Selina began; she shook, then became engulfed by her tears. “Is my step-father.”

Selina shook some more and leaned her forehead against Aaron’s shoulder letting out a loud sob. Aaron could feel his eyes widen in shock when Selina gripped his hand. Step-father…she had a step-father.