20

Still Sit Here Alone

***

Sam and Calvin rushed into the room Aaron was being hospitalized in.

“I’m so glad you’re ok!” Calvin shouted.

Sam smiled down at the sleeping Aaron.

***

Selina was immediately rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Ella followed Jiro inside the hospital.

“I’ll go back to the station and start on the reports. We can finally correct these cases,” Ella offered. “Good job, Jiro. Your first opened case ended successfully.”

Jiro turned to Ella and nodded, “Thanks, without your helpl it would have been nothing.”

With that he hurried down to the waiting room to wait for Selina. Things he wanted to say ran through his mind, but he couldn’t say anything yet.

An hour later the doctor walked out.

“Visitors are permitted from visiting until the patient wakes up,” the doctor explained. “She’s pretty tired from the exhaustion he put her through.”

Jiro nodded and thanked the doctor. After grabbing a cup of coffee Jiro slowly opened the door to where Aaron was in. Both Sam and Calvin got up to their feet.

“You’re back,” it was Sam.

“Thank you,” Calvin nodded his head so gratefully. “For getting to Aaron in time.”

Jiro nodded, “How’s his condition?”

“He got shot in the chest but he’ll be alright after a month or so,” Sam replied. “Did you find Selina?”

“She’s in recuperation right now,” Jiro answered. “I have some questions for Aaron. Would you please notify me when he wakes up?”

“Sure,” Sam replied.

With that Jiro headed out of the room. Guo Yi, Selina’s step-father, was bandaged up in the hospital. Jiro found out that he was being kept under tight security and it was said that after his wound got better, he would finish his sentence in jail.

A day later Selina finally woke up. An IV drip had been inserted into her arm to help replenish her strength. As soon as she woke up her first visitor was Jiro alone.

“Hey,” he greeted, “are you feeling better?”

Selina nodded.

“Thank you for saving me,” Selina thanked.

“Your step-father…he’s going to be sentenced after his wound heals up a bit. And he’s also the one who murdered your father’s friend after he was confronted about the truth,” Jiro explained. “You finally brought justice to both your father and his friend.”

“You did,” Selina stated. “You’re a great detective.”

Jiro became quiet and her hair.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” he apologized with tears appearing in his eyes.

Selina looked at him wondering what was wrong.

“Why?”

“I didn’t know…” Jiro apologzied, “I’m so sorry I left you alone back then…”

Selina smiled with sorry tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know he was hurting you. I should have known…it’s all my fault.” Jiro stared down at the bed.

Selina could feel herself choking up with tears. She his hair and pulled him into a hug.

When morning arrived Jiro’s mother and his sister came running into the hospital. While they visited Selina Jiro decided to pay Aaron a visit after Sam had told him he had awoken.

Closing the door after him Jiro went to sit over by Aaron.

“Is Selina ok?” asked Aaron.

“She’s doing well,” Jiro nodded, “my sister and mother are keeping her company.”

“That’s good.” 

“Her step-father did indeed kill her father and his friend. After his wound heals up, he’s going to be sentenced to jail for life,” Jiro explained. “I bet that’s good news.”

“It is,” Aaron shook his head, “he deserves life in prison.”

“Thank you for telling me the things Selina wasn’t able to,” Jiro thanked. “I think I understand her now. After you get out of the hospital we’ll have to question you about what happened. That’s alright, right?”

“Sure,” Aaron agreed.

“You’re a lucky kid, you know?” Jiro told. “Don’t you ever make Selina cry.”

Jiro got up and left. After he did the door opened and Hebe walked in with flowers.

“I heard you were almost killed,” she told going to sit by him.

“Then I must be pretty famous.” 

“Your mom will be furious,” Hebe pointed out.

“Mom?”

A day passed by and Calvin had finally notified Aaron’s mother who immediately rushed to the hospital.

Mrs. Yan came rushing into the hospital screaming when she saw Aaron lying in the hospital bed.

“My son! My son!” she shouted. “Who did this to you? Why’d you have to get hurt? Aaron!”

“It’s ok, mom,” Aaron tried. “They’re sending that guy to jail.”

“This is why I told you not to leave the house!”

“I’m ok, mom.” Aaron tried. “But Selina’s more hurt than me.”

“Who’s Selina?”

***

Hebe walked into Selina’s room to find her awake. Mrs. Wang was feeding her congee she’d made.

“Is this your friend?” asked Mrs. Wang. “I’ll leave you two to talk.”

Selina nodded.

“All of a sudden you didn’t come to the day care anymore and now you’re at the hospital,” Hebe said with a soft smile. “But I’m glad you’re alright.”

“Thanks,” Selina thanked. “I’ll continue visiting the day care after I get better.”

A week after Selina was discharged from the hospital she finally paid Aaron a visit. The door opened, but no one walked in.

“I know you’re out there,” Aaron called out.

Selina smiled as she walked in with a bouquet of roses.

“I’m not a girl, I don’t need those,” Aaron insisted.

“Your room’s pretty full with roses,” Selina commented sitting down next to Aaron.

“You’re lucky you’re out,” Aaron envied. “Maybe I should have let you take the shot instead.”

“Very funny,” Selina nudged. “Does it still hurt?”

Aaron looked down at his chest, “Of course. That’s why I’m still here.”

“You’re so cute, I might give you a kiss,” Selina teased.

Aaron smiled, “Lets go on another date, but lets go to the amusement park instead.”

“Why not?” Selina said. “When you’re better though.”

Aaron smiled and grabbed her hand.

***

EPILOGUE:

Aaron and Selina finally managed get pass his mother’s strict rules and became an official couple. They both continued working under Sam’s bakery and enjoyed their dates at the ice cream parlor and amusement park. Camping again would be a big no for them.

Jiro continued his job as a detective and kept in touch with Selina every day after she’d moved out to live with Aaron.

Calvin and Hebe hooked up once, but she figured she would think his feelings over. In the end they ended up going out more and more often and Calvin skipped work more than Aaron.

Sam continued to run his bakery happily and got into arguments now and then with Calvin. Surprisingly Sam was hit on a few times by some woman in her thirties.

Ella continued her job beside Jiro and they remained close friends.

In this story no one sits alone at the end xD