18

Still Sit Here Alone

Was this the step-father that had killed Selina’s father? The same one who had tormented her? Why was it that it had to be getting dark now?

“I thought I wanted to ruin this party for you, but now I change my mind,” he said, “lets play this game. I’m going to give you 3 minutes to run and if I shoot you, Selina’s mine.”

Aaron frowned. Was this man crazy? Selina’s hand suddenly grabbed his and she squeezed his hand tightly.

“1…2…3…Go!”

Selina turned around dragging Aaron after her. The wind brushed against their faces as they ran against it. Even as they got farther away from him Aaron wondered if they would really get away from him.

He gulped.

Was this what Calvin had meant when he had asked him to be careful? Was this the kind of danger Selina had to run from? Aaron glanced at Selina who was running in front of him. She should be more scared than him…and he’d already decided he’d protect her from the beginning. Why was he backing out now?

Aaron quickened his pace.

“No matter what…don’t let go of me. We’re going to get out together.”

Selina stared at Aaron’s back. She wanted to cry, yet it wasn’t time to.

“I’m sorry you have to go through this,” Selina apologized. “If I had I a choice, I’d rather be running alone.”

Aaron gripped Selina’s hand in reply. The trees got thicker and thicker as they went deeper and deeper into the woods and off the trail. Leaves and branches stuck out from small plants that surrounded the trail. Selina was almost out of breath when suddenly they weren’t in the woods anymore but an empty area. Aaron glanced around wondering how much time had passed. Had he followed them?

Selina frowned as she tried to catch her breath. There was a large yard full of grass and gravel. Empty buildings were lined one by one. Was this an abandoned factory? Miles away they could see another group of trees standing out.

A loud gun shot came from behind them.

“Are you gonna run?”

***

Jiro felt his heart thud. The same date? Was something telling him that Selina would die the same day her father had? He gulped and quickly turned to his phone when it started to ring.

“Wait a second,” Jiro cautioned then picked up. “Mom?”

“Jiro, I’m scared. A weird man…he was parked in front of our house. He told me he’s been keeping an eye on us these past few days. He sounds scary, Jiro, and he even ask about you and Selina’s whereabouts.” Mrs. Wang continued without pausing.

“A man?” frowned Jiro.

“What…if he’s the same person who kidnapped Selina?” asked his mother.

“What does he look like?”

“Short hair and it sticks up from his head, he happened to have a scar on the left side of his head. He was wearing a plain t-shirt with a dragon on it,” she told, “he looked like a man without a job.”

“Mom, make sure you close all the windows and pull down the curtains. Lock the doors too and don’t open then until I come home,” Jiro warned.

“But I have to go pick up your sister,” she said.

“Call one of your friends to come get you, but make sure they call you before you get out,” Jiro informed, “they have to understand right now isn’t the best time for you to get out alone.”

“Alright, be careful yourself.”

Jiro gently slammed down the phone then turned to Ella.

“That was my mother. Selina’s kidnapper might have landed at our house this morning,” explained Jiro. “Selina’s camping right now with Aaron so she should be safe. Get more information about his death. Who killed him, who did his autopsy, where he was buried, who are his family members.”

Ella nodded and headed out. Jiro got up from his seat deciding he wouldn’t be able to sit anymore. If he helped dig up the information he’d sent Ella to find, maybe they would get it faster.

***

Aaron started running up ahead. Staring at the houses he figured if he went inside he would only be trapped. His eyes searched around. He wouldn’t be able to hide…it was impossible to hide anywhere. He’d never been in any situation like this before. His heart was running wildly behind his rib cage.

Aaron glanced at Selina. Even if she was a girl, she might have an idea and she’d been running away from him more often than he. But if so, Selina’s life had been spared and this time he was with her, would his life be spared as well?

The sky had gotten dark and the moon was howling in the sky. The stars stood out amongst the sky. Her step father’s loud slow footsteps could be heard after them. Aaron came to a stop when they came across a large rectangle building blocking their way.

“Dead End. You should have known.”

Aaron and Selina turned around to stare at the man coming after them.

“What do you want?” Aaron asked pulling Selina behind him.

Selina’s step father blew at his gun and wiped it.

“I’ve wasted three bullets. Two to scare you and one to scare off those pathetic campers,” he told. “I’m planning to waste one more. Which one of you wants to go first?”

“Please don’t!” Selina shouted coming out from behind Aaron.

Aaron immediately pushed her back.

“Don’t shoot her! How can you shoot your own daughter?!” Aaron shouted.

Selina’s step-father laughed amused, “I like it how you’re dedicated to my Selina.”

Aaron felt his eyebrow twitch.

“What is wrong with you? Are you crazy? How can you try to kill your own daughter like this?” asked Aaron.

Selina stared up at Aaron and tried to make her way to stand in front of him, but Aaron was stronger than she had thought. He pushed her right behind him.

“Please don’t hurt him! Aaron’s innocent! You can’t kill him!” Selina shouted.

Aaron stared at the crazy man before him.

“How cute, should I let you try to run again?” he asked.

Aaron squeezed Selina’s hand to the point where she wanted to scream. She grabbed onto his arm from behind.

“You can’t do this. I won’t let you take this shot,” Selina determined.

Already her step father slowly held his arm out with the gun in his hand. He was aiming directly at them.

“I’m ready whenever you are,” the corner of his lips curbed up. “Lets get this game over with and whoever is left gets to run and I’ll be the chaser.”

Selina stared at Aaron and quickly pushed him down with all her might. As Aaron fell to the ground Aaron looked up at her with wide surprised eyes. Before the trigger was pressed, Aaron jumped back up and pushed Selina to the ground. Something stung him and his body lurched forward. Selina let out a shout and quickly caught him in her arms before he plummeted onto the gravel.

“Aaron! Aaron! Aaron!” Selina screamed until her voice cracked. “No! Please don’t die!”

Aaron felt dizzy and everything he saw in front of him spun in circles. His chest began to bleed heavily and Selina’s knees dampened with his blood.

“Game over for you,” her step father said walking over.

“Run...run…” Aaron mumbled the words weakly.

Selina’s tears dropped onto his face when he felt Selina being tugged away from him.

“Aaron! Aaron!” Selina shouted as her step father pulled her by the arm.

“Are you going to come? Or do you want me to shoot you here too?!” he shouted angrily.

Selina tightened her hold onto Aaron.

“Just shoot me then! I want to die too! Shoot me!” Selina screamed flailing her head about.

“Why, you!” her step father pried her fingers off Aaron angrily and dragged her across the gravel.

“Let go! Let go!” Selina shouted.

She finally came to a stop a minute later when she felt her skin tear open. It was too dark to see if she was really bleeding or not and there was not a single light around. The moon seemed to have decided not to appear that night. How would she be able to make it through the whole night?

“You dirty little twerp!” he yelled. “Do you see this scar? This stupid scar you left on my forehead?”

Selina felt him kick her in the back. She felt her hand hit something and she quickly reached for it. Taking a deep shaky breath Selina turned around tossing the rock at him. A loud shout escaped from him and she grabbed the gravel tossing it up at him hoping it’d land in his eyes. Sobbing and crying she made her way off toward the large trees which were all she could see ahead.

***

Aaron stared up at the sky weakly. He was begin to lose focus on his sight. He couldn’t move. The pain from where he had been shot earlier spread through his body making him go numb. He gasped for air wondering if he’d end up dying there. Something slid out of his pocket and landed on the ground loudly. Suddenly he remembered he’d brought his phone with him. His hands shook as he tried to reach for it. Bending a little to the right he finally grabbed a hold of it. He was glad to see the light illuminate from his phone.

***

They had finally just gotten home from the restaurant. Massaging his neck Calvin slumped down on the couch.

“What a day. I’m going to go off when I get a girlfriend too,” Calvin muttered to himself.

It hadn't even bee a minute when he let his eyes close to rest that the phone rang persistently. Calvin opened his eyes with a glare.

“Who’s calling now?” he grunted.

Calvin got up lazily.

“Hello?” 

No one responded.

“I said, hello? Are you going to answer or not?” Calvin asked sounding annoyed.

“C…Calvin…” a weak voice mumbled.

“Who’s this?” Calvin asked. “How’d you know my name?”

Aaron gave a loud cough as he tried to gather his energy.

“He’s after Selina…he’s going to kill her…you have to get Jiro…please get Jiro!” Aaron shouted with his voice shaky.