17

Still Sit Here Alone

***

Jiro closed the door after Selina and made sure it was locked.

“Did you eat?” asked Jiro.

“Yea, I got something to eat,” Selina told.

“Then at least accompany me for dinner,” Jiro said walking into the kitchen. “My mother is out tonight. Don’t worry, she’s not expecting anything from you.”

Selina followed Jiro into the kitchen and took a seat as he took out dishes from the fridge. They were silent for a while as Jiro started to eat.

“Even if he is a bit young, I don’t think Aaron is that bad,” Jiro commented. “He realizes some things we don’t. I wonder what runs through the minds of young people.”

Selina seemed to perk up.

“Yes, I’m talking about Aaron,” Jiro nodded.

Selina smiled. Jiro seemed to be trying to understand her.

“But I’ll have to see,” Jiro said, “whether he’s good enough for you or not.”

Jiro became silent then turned to Selina.

“I don’t know if I should tell you this, but I’ve started to investigate your father’s death.”

“What?” Selina asked.

“Aaron suggested that there might be something the cops have missed,” Jiro continued, “I think he has a good sense.”

Selina turned away from Jiro. Is that what Aaron had spoken to Jiro about the other day?

“Are you ok with it?” Jiro asked.

Selina stared down at the table, “I…”

Selina could see flashbacks in her mind. Her father’s lifeless body, the coffin, the funeral, the cemetery, her mother crying, the cops surrounding the hall, and her father’s friend...

“I want to know the truth…if you can find the murderer too…” Selina said.

“I will,” Jiro assured.

“But…there’s something else,” Selina told, “my father’s friend. If you can find out how and why he disappeared.”

“I’ve thought about that too,” Jiro explained, “I’ll do what I can. You’ll be the first one I tell results to.”

The next morning accompanied by Ella, Jiro searched the area where Selina’s father had first been found dead. The wind rustled the leaves blowing the dirt off the ground.

Jiro glanced around.

“What exactly are we looking for?” Ella turned to Jiro. “You said he was murdered 11 years ago. It’s going to be hard attaining the exact information you want.”

“When you feel you know that person didn’t die on accident, you just have to find out the truth,” Jiro started, “if this were my father, I wouldn’t stop looking. There must at least be something.”

Ella stared at Jiro’s back as he walked around.

“Killers always leave traces behind without knowing it,” Ella told hurrying up to Jiro, “it’s been 11 years. That trace we’re looking for might not be here, but somewhere else.”

Jiro turned to look at Ella, “If you say it that way, then I’ll leave this searching to you. How about it?”

Ella frowned, “Me? Why?”

“You’re better at looking for clues,” Jiro pointed out, “and I have someone to meet right now.”

“You can’t ditch me to go see Selina,” Ella spat. “At least drop me off at the station and I’ll try to think of something for you.”

A while later Jiro found himself walking into a pizza parlor. Far at the back he could recognize Selina’s little sister sitting with a cup of soda in front of her.

“How’s school, kiddo?” Jiro asked taking a seat.

“The same,” Mei Mei shrugged. “I thought Aaron would be coming with you?”

“Aaron?” Jiro asked. “He’s busy dating right now.”

Mei Mei frowned.

“Did Aaron tell you why I wanted to talk to you today?” Jiro asked.

“He did,” Mei Mei answered.

“Good, lets get down to the point,” Jiro said, “tell me what you heard from the argument the other night.”

Mei Mei nodded and began to recall everything she’d heard from the argument. After Jiro had treated her to a pizza he sent her back home, but in the car Mei turned to him before getting out.

“I thought you might want to know something else,” Mei said. “I thought you might already know, but I don’t think you do.”

Jiro frowned, “Know what?”

“You shouldn’t bring my sister here,” Mei told, “mom already kicked her out of the house and no one’s talked about her since then.”

Jiro stared at her as he had become quiet.

“I think he’s done something worse to Selina than we can imagine,” Mei feared, “and I’m sure he’s the one who murdered my father. Please help us…I’m starting to get afraid being around him.”

***

Selina walked up to Aaron when the restaurant had closed.

“Lets go on a date this week,” Selina suggested.

“Date?” Aaron asked. “But…”

Selina smiled, “Can Aaron have off this Saturday?”

“Where do you think you’re going again?” Calvin asked.

Sam chuckled behind him.

“We’re going to go camping for one day,” Selina answered, “it’s down by the highway but there are plenty of other families that are going to be around. Unless you want to join us.”

Sam smiled, “You kids go ahead. Calvin will accompany me here.”

“But I didn’t say anything about camping…” Aaron told. “What if something happens?”

“I’ve said there are going to be plenty of families around,” Selina added, “I’ll talk to Jiro later, so just get ready by then.”

Aaron stared after Selina wondering if something was wrong with her. She would never have suggested such a thing. Did something happen?

***

As Jiro locked the door and turned around in the warm room, Selina smiled at him.

“What?” Jiro asked.

“I want to go camping this weekend,” Selina told, “with Aaron.”

“Aaron?” Jiro repeated. “What if something happens? We don’t even know if you’re totally safe yet.”

“But there are going to be other families camping,” Selina pointed out, “so it’ll be alright, right? I’m just going to be gone for one day.”

“One day?” a

“I’m not asking you for permission I was just telling you,” Selina stated.

“I know,” Jiro said, “I just don’t feel right letting you go. What if something happens?”

“I’ve already said there are going to be other people around,” Selina repeated.

“Ok,” Jiro laughed, “call me if anything happens.”

Selina had started to feel better eventually. When she had heard that Aaron had suggested the case be opened again, she felt glad because it was never something she had ever thought of. She wanted to personally thank him and spend a day with him hiking and so forth. It was the first time in a long time that she hadn’t felt shivers run down her spine.

The morning after Selina had left to go camping his mother came into the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“I’m cooking,” he told.

“Where’s Selina?” asked Mrs. Wang.

“She went camping,” Jiro replied.

“Your sister’s coming back later in the day,” she said.

“Really?” Jiro asked. “Too bad she’ll miss Selina today.”

“You don’t sound a bit moody,” Mrs. Wang told.

Jiro smiled, “Well that’s because I have a case to start investigating later.”

***

After Jiro had gone, Mrs. Wang walked out of the house to find a strange car parked in front of her house. She frowned as she placed the garbage she was carrying on the curb.

“Excuse me, excuse me,” she called.

A strange looking man in casual clothing came out from the other side of the car.

“You can’t park on this side of the street,” Mrs. Wang told.

“Is that so?” the man said. “Sorry.”

Mrs. Wang about turned around when the man spoke again.

“By the way, where have your family members gone?” he asked.

Mrs. Wang frowned wondering why the man would ask.

“They’ve gone to attend to their business,” was all she said.

“I’ve been watching your house from across the street these few nights just to make sure you people were safe. Thanks for letting me know anyway,” he said then went into his car.

Jiro’s mother watched as the car drove off and hurried back into the house locking the door behind her. She hurried all around the house to make sure the windows were closed and the double checked that the back door was locked. She let the curtains down and the TV. She stood in the middle of the room for a while. Had Selina felt the same kind of fear when she was about to get kidnapped?

Mrs. Wang hurried into the kitchen to grab the telephone.

***

Shadows created by the trees flew over their car as they drove pass. The sun heated the dark cement and the countryside as they went by. They passed gas stations and came across street lights. After crossing a bridge Aaron and Selina came to a full parking lot of cars. Families were out and children were running about playing games amongst themselves. Selina got out of the car to get the refreshments while Aaron struggled with the tent. They had fun playing games amongst themselves while setting up the tent. Later on, they went hiking along with another family and came back to share dinner with that family. After eating Selina and Aaron headed out to the empty area beyond the hill distanced away from camp. They sat together to stare at the almost darkened sky.

“Jiro told me you wanted to open my father’s case,” Selina began, “thank you for suggesting it.”

Aaron smiled, “That’s what you wanted the date for?”

“Not exactly. I just wanted to spend some time with you.” 

***

Jiro’s door opened and Ella hurried in.

“You wanted to investigate his missing friend too, right?” Ella asked almost out of breath as if she had been running.

“What’s up?” Jiro asked.

Ella placed a manila folder in front of Jiro.

“He was found dead 6 years ago. He was beaten to death then strangled,” Ella finished, “his body was found down by a lake at a camping resort.”

Jiro opened the folder to glance through the gory images.

“Where was he found?” Jiro asked.

“A camping resort,” Ella said again.

Something clicked at the back of Jiro’s mind.

Camping resort…

“Which camping resort?”

“The one 75 miles from the same hunting area Selina’s father was killed,” Ella answered, “he was killed exactly on the same date he was.”

Jiro frowned.

“Do you think the murderer tried to create a pattern?” asked Jiro.

“But there have been no such deaths in the past 11 years,” Ella stated then thought for a moment before hitting her fist into the palm of her other hand, “however today happens to be the same date.”

***

The van came to a stop next to Aaron’s car. Selina’s step-father stepped out of the car and spat on Aaron’s care then kicked his tire.

“Lets hope your camping trip will end in peace,” he muttered then reached for something within his car.

***

Aaron placed his arm around Selina and before he could give her a peck on the cheek they heard a loud bang from afar which sounded like a gun shot. Aaron and Selina quickly turned around.

“Get out! Get out! If you don’t want to die get out! Out of my sight, you idiots!”

Aaron turned to look at Selina wondering what was going on. They hurried up the hill back and back to the camp site. They saw that it had become empty as quickly as it had been filled. Suddenly they heard footsteps not too far away.

“Where are you!”

Aaron and Selina turned to look at each other. Grabbing Selina’s hand Aaron led her behind a large oak tree he hoped would block them from view.

“Come out! I know you’re here! Get out now!”

Aaron glanced around and looked down at Selina. He hadn’t noticed she had been leaning against him with his arm around her. What would happen now? Why was this suddenly happening on a day that was supposed to be happy?

“Lets play hide and seek then!”

***

Selina’s face went pale from recognition of his voice. She put her hand over in order not to let them tremble. Selina shut her eyes wondering if she would be able to survive this with Aaron. She had always been alone before, but now he was by her side. Would they be able to run from him safely?

They could hear his footsteps come closer. Selina shut her eyes hoping he wouldn’t find them. After a silent minute or so when they didn’t hear anything anymore Aaron glanced around. No one seemed to be walking around. Aaron poked his head out from the tree to find a man standing right behind them with a crooked smile on his face.

Aaron’s arm tightened around Selina.

“Take your arm off her son.”