13

Still Sit Here Alone

 

***

Calvin and Sam were rustling around in the kitchen half an hour later. Sam was frying eggs, while Calvin prepared the coffee.

“What do you think they’re doing?” asked Calvin.

“It’s not what you think,” Sam told.

Calvin turned quickly around to look at Sam as if defending himself.

“I did not think anything like you were thinking,” Calvin pointed out. “I was just wondering what they’re speaking about.”

“Calm down, it was a joke,” Sam replied. “The atmosphere feels heavy; I was just trying to lift it up.”

“Sure,” Calvin said then continued, “but what do you think they’re talking about? Do you think Selina would talk to Aaron about…?”

Sam stared back at Calvin unsure if he should think about the matter.

“Would she trust him enough?” asked Sam.

“But wouldn’t it be strange if she did?” Calvin asked. “It’s not like they’ve known each other for long.”

“Imagine Calvin,” Sam said, “just think about it. Secrets you’ve kept for maybe five years or so and you haven’t found anyone to rely on or even the person you feel closest to, but you can’t tell them anything. When it comes to the point where you feel like dying, shouldn’t it be time to find someone to believe in?”

Calvin stared blankly at Sam.

“I’m just saying love isn’t measured by time,” Sam clarified. “We both know Aaron’s feelings for Selina, maybe it’s time Selina returns it.”

Calvin nodded then looked back at Sam abruptly, “If Aaron knows something we don’t…would it put anyone in danger?”

Sam, this time, looked at Calvin with a stern face.

“If we look at what happened to Selina…isn’t this very serious?” Calvin questioned.

***

“Does…does Jiro know?” Aaron asked.

“Please, don’t tell anyone. I can’t tell Jiro…not when the situation’s turned into something like this,” Selina shook her head. “I’m telling you because I have a feeling I can trust you.”

Aaron became silent and Selina also became silent. Aaron stared at the wall ahead of him and Selina shut her eyes as she leaned against his shoulder.

If Selina told Jiro, wouldn’t he be able to help? He is, after all, a detective; he should be able to help Selina. Was it because he wanted to marry her that Selina didn’t want to tell him? Or did he have no clue about her step father? Jiro’s known her for so long he should know about it. What exactly happened between Selina and her step-father? If he was the one that had abducted Selina last time, wasn’t he dangerous? Aaron felt a big sense of fear for Selina then suddenly wondered where her family was, she’d never spoken a word about them.

***

Jiro had awoken when the sun had reached the middle of the sky. The first thing that he thought of was Selina. Quickly getting out of bed he made his way toward the room Selina was using. Knocking on the door four times and receiving no answer, Jiro twisted the door knob to find that it was unlocked. Opening the door he found the bed empty and unmade. He turned to look at the box Selina had left on the ground and picked it up slowly setting it down on the desk. Where had Selina gone without leaving a note behind?

***

Another 30 minutes later, Aaron finally came down the stairs. Calvin watched as he stopped at the bottom turning back to see Selina come down after him.

Selina looked tired and worn out.

“Ah, did you want something to eat?” Sam asked almost getting up from his chair. “Sorry we ate without you, but I can quickly fry some eggs for you.”

Selina turned to look at Aaron as if asking for permission. ‘

“Can I get your keys so I can send Selina home?” asked Aaron.

They were silent at the start of the ride back.

However, Selina broke the ice by asking, “Is the engagement between you and Hebe still intact?”

Aaron felt his mood turn from worried to shock-surprised. Why would Selina ask that? Her, of all people?

“No,” Aaron replied, “my mom might be persistent about it, but Hebe and I are going to do what we want.”

“That’s good,” Selina replied calmly staring at the road ahead.

Did she really not feel anything? Because his heart was pounding really hard right on the spot. Aaron quickly glanced at her through the corner of his eyes.

“Hebe came by to ask for you the other day,” Aaron told. “Have you two been doing something together?”

“Hebe has a day care,” Selina replied then did something which sounded like a laugh to Aaron, “I think I’m afraid of children now.”

“Why?” wondered Aaron.

Selina did not reply which made Aaron wonder if he had asked something he shouldn’t have. Aaron soon came to a stop in front of Jiro’s house and turned to Selina.

“I hope you feel better, if not now, soon,” Aaron hoped.

“Sorry and thank you,” Selina said and got out.

This time Aaron watched Selina go inside and stared at the house for a few minutes then finally drove off.

***

The door opened and Selina stopped by the doorway seeming very surprised to see Jiro sitting on the bed waiting for her.

“Where were you?” asked Jiro.

Selina looked around as if hoping someone else would be around.

“I just needed some air,” Selina replied.

“You should have told me where you went.” 

“You should be getting ready for work. Have you eaten?” asked Selina.

“Don’t change the subject,” Jiro stated unhappily, “you should tell me where you’re going. What if something happens to you? What am I supposed to do then? Who’s going to find you? What if you need help?”

“You don’t need to worry,” Selina said keeping her eyes stern.

“How am I not supposed to worry?” asked Jiro almost raising his voice. “When you’re living in my home, when we’re about to get married how am I not supposed to worry? What if what happens last time happens again? What if no one comes after you? What if your hero Aaron isn’t there?”

Selina stared at Jiro silently. She didn’t know what to say to make him understand. It was hard to communicate her silent secrets to him.

“What’s going on?” asked Mrs. Wang from behind.

Jiro suddenly got up from the bed and Selina swung around to see the old woman.

“Mom,” Jiro said. “I thought you were still asleep.”

“And I thought you were supposed to be getting ready for work,” Mrs. Wang told. “Lets calm down and eat breakfast.”

Selina followed her silently. During breakfast Selina stuffed herself to help suppress the stress within her. There was not a second where was not filled with food. When Jiro finally left the table and Selina heard the door close she finally put her spoon down and covered in order to stop the food from coming out.

“Where did you go this morning?” asked Mrs. Wang.

For a moment, it felt as if Selina had done something wrong.

“I went to see a friend,” Selina replied refusing to give details.

“Jiro’s just getting overworked,” Mrs. Wang offered, “maybe he’s frustrated that he can’t take care of you on a daily basis.”

Selina hoped she was right and hoped it wasn’t because Jiro was afraid of leaving the past.

“Oh yes, Jiro’s sister will be returning in a few weeks. She might not want to stay with her old mother in her room so I’m afraid you’ll have to give up the room you’re staying in.” 

Selina could feel her heart beating nervously. Did it mean she would have to go back living by herself? What would happen then? Or maybe…possibly she could commute with Sam and them…even if they were men she definitely felt safer with them.

“Or if it’s alright, you can share with Jiro,” Mrs. Wang suggested.

Selina looked up surprised.

“Why?” asked Selina.

“You might not be comfortable with me, and Jiro’s sister might want a sister in law quickly so she’ll probably find excuses for you not to stay with her,” Mrs. Wang explained. “You two have known each other for so long, I’m sure you two will be comfortable with each other. And I’m getting old; it’d be nice to have some grandchildren.”

Selina could feel her heart sink. She could never deny Mrs. Wang, the woman was so nice and kind. Jiro’s mother had done so much and she’d been staying with them for a while…is this how they want her to repay them?

Selina closed the door to the bedroom and lay on the bed. She didn’t want to give herself up no matter what the situation was. And what she’d already become…she didn’t think it’d be any good for Jiro to know. It’d just hurt him and his mother. She’d already known them too long, it’d really shock them.

Selina bit her thumb. Was Jiro only occupied with thoughts of their marriage and nothing else? The way he’d spoken about Aaron felt as if it had stung her, but she’d let it go since she didn’t let Jiro in on anything. On the other hand, it had been nice talking to Aaron.

***

“You’re back,” Sam said as Aaron entered through the door.

“Are you hungry?” asked Calvin.

Aaron walked over to the table to hand Sam his keys.

“I don’t mean to be nosy but what did you two talk about?” asked Sam.

Aaron looked at Sam and managed to smile, “Nothing.”

Calvin frowned, “Nothing then why’d you two take so long?”

“It’s nothing,” Aaron told quickly finishing his plate then got up. “I’m going to catch up on some sleep then wake me up.”

“Wait, Aaron,” Calvin called.

Aaron stopped by the stairs and turned around.

“What happened to Selina last time…be careful. If you know something, you might be in danger,” Calvin warned worriedly.

It was the first time in a long time Calvin had expressed some caring words.

“Don’t worry about, Calvin, he’s just paranoid,” Sam helped.

Aaron smiled, “Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind.”

Aaron turned around and headed upstairs. It felt as if finding the answers to Selina’s puzzle was just beginning.