16

Still Sit Here Alone

***

A daughter who had been ually assaulted by her own mother’s boyfriend. Just thinking about the case made Jiro angry. How could anyone let that happen to her own daughter? He knew for sure his mother would be outrageous if something like that ever happened to her daughter.

Jiro parked his car and got out heading into his home.

“You’re finally home,” his mother said walking up to him holding her own hands in front of her.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“Did you and Selina fight?” she asked. “She came home all of a sudden and went into her bedroom. She didn’t look well.”

“I think we should leave her alone for a bit,” Jiro said. “Selina might feel better if we’re not with her right now.”

***

“This food is disgusting!” he slammed down his napkin onto the table.

The girls stared at him as their mother tried to coax their step-father.

“I’m sorry, Guo Yi, I already told you this is all we have right now,” Mrs. Ren cooed.

“I can’t believe I was crazy enough to come back chasing after you,” he mumbled.

“What?”

“You heard me!”

“Then who told you to come back! I never asked for you! If only Da Tou didn’t have to die.” Mrs. Ren turned away.

“Don’t you speak about him! I never want to hear his name!” shouted their step father.

One of the younger girls began to whine and Mei immediately shot up from her seat gathering her younger sisters into another room together.

“Stay in here and be good, ok?” Mei said.

“Why is he yelling at mommy?”

“They’re only arguing. It’ll be over shortly. Jie, you make sure they all go to bed.” Mei ordered then got up. “Lock the door.”

Mei closed the door after her and after hearing a click she made her way back stopping by the kitchen. Whatever it was, she wanted to know the reason why they were arguing.

“If you had gone to work on time, you wouldn’t have lost your damn job!” her mother screamed. “I shouldn’t have married you.”

“Don’t you speak!” her step father screamed. “I hate you! I hate your stupid husband you married before me! If you hadn’t broken up with me then we would be happy now!”

“We aren’t even happy now! How would we have been happy then? You tell me you stupid son of whoever your mother is!”

Mei jumped when she heard a plate crash onto the ground. She heard a loud slap before her mother began to sob. Mei wanted to jump into the argument to stop it, but she knew better than to do so. She’d tried many times, but ended up not helping one bit.

“It’s your fault. You’ve made me crazy since I first saw you in high school. It’s your fault, I’ve held a grudge against Da Tou. Everything’s your fault. You’re going to cry one day and I’ll make you regret living.”

Mei heard the chair tip over.

“You killed him, didn’t you?! You killed him, you murderer!”

Mei’s eyes shot open as she turned to look into the kitchen, but no one was in sight from the certain angle she was at.

“You ! I’ve told you millions of times that I never even touched a strand of his hair! Get that?”

The back door opened and closed. As her mother began crying Mei suddenly ran into her own room locking her door and jumped on her bed. What had she just heard?

***

Selina returned to the bakery the next day. Sam and Calvin both watched as Selina and Aaron glanced at each other, but not a word came from their mouths. Aaron hadn’t spoken the whole morning and everything seemed to be getting stranger.

“Selina, why don’t you help Calvin bring dishes out today?” Sam suggested.

Quietly Selina nodded and went out into the dining room to help Calvin place napkins on each table. Calvin glanced at Selina nervously.

“So…are you and Aaron…you know…” Calvin said.

Selina glanced at him, “Are we what?”

“Giving each other the cold shoulder?”

Selina’s blank stare told Calvin he was wrong.

“Then what is it?” he asked. “Aaron’s been gloomy.”

Selina turned back to look at him then turned back to look at Calvin.

“It’s nothing. I just scared Aaron really bad yesterday,” Selina smiled, “he’ll get over it.”

Calvin watched Selina move on to another table. He wasn’t buying her story. Even if Aaron was the sissy type, he didn’t cry hours after having his soul out of him. Morning came by then lunch. Customers hurried in and out of the bakery. Aaron and Selina still hadn’t spoken to each other. Sam had caught Aaron’s eyes following Selina once in a while. After Sam had closed down the bakery he’d decided to leave Aaron and Selina alone in the lobby while Calvin washed dishes.

After wiping a table Selina glanced over at Aaron. He was quietly sweeping the floor. Was he sad? Or had she shocked him too much yesterday? Putting down her rag Selina walked over to Aaron and placed her hand on the broom stick. Aaron stopped and turned to look at her.

“Are you sad?” Selina asked.

“I feel sad,” Aaron replied. “It might have been better if you spoke about it sooner then maybe I wouldn’t feel so down.”

Selina gazed at him silently. He was sincere and seemed so fragile.

“I want to cry for you so you won’t cry anymore and I want to hug you to comfort you. But I don’t know if it’ll make you feel better,” Aaron told. “I’m just scared for you and I feel bad.”

“Thank you,” Selina told as she placed her head against his shoulder. “I’m glad you feel that way and I’m also sorry you feel that way.”

The door opened and Selina looked up from Aaron’s shoulder to see Jiro come in.

“Are you done, yet?” asked Jiro.

“Calvin can do the rest. Why don’t you go ahead Selina?” Sam suggested.

Selina glanced at them one by one then to Aaron.

“Good night,” she told with a smile.

Aaron watched as she walked toward Jiro and they headed out. Yet, there was something in him he wanted to do. Aaron dropped his broom and rushed out the door after Jiro.

“Wait!” Aaron shouted.

Both Jiro and Selina turned around.

“Is something wrong?” Jiro asked.

“I want to talk to you privately. It’s only going to take a minute,” Aaron told.

“Go in the car first,” Jiro urged Selina.

“But why…” Selina asked.

Aaron turned to look at her and she turned away. After the door closed Jiro walked toward Aaron.

“You want to say something?” Jiro asked.

“I’m just wondering…if there’s ever been a case on Selina’s real father’s death,” Aaron wondered staring Jiro right in the eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“Has his death ever been investigated?” Aaron asked.

“The finalized report was that he’d accidentally shot himself while hunting,” Jiro explained. “I don’t think it’s been investigated any further. Is this all?”

“Can’t you open up the case again?” Aaron went on.

Jiro cocked his head, “I don’t get it. Why are you so worried about someone you don’t know all of a sudden?”

“I believe he didn’t shoot himself,” Aaron held his position. “You don’t have to ask Selina because it’ll hurt her, but believe me. I know he didn’t shoot himself.”

Jiro stared at Aaron then turned around.

Aaron watched as the car drove off.

***

“Have you two gotten really close lately?” asked Jiro.

“Who?” Selina asked.

“You and Aaron.”

“What did he say to you?” asked Selina.

“Nothing,” Jiro replied getting out of the car.

Selina frowned at Jiro’s back as he went into his room.

Jiro took off his jacket and tossed it onto his bed. He could recall everything clearly.

After the funeral had ended Selina’s father’s friend, who happened to be a cop himself, had tried opening the case again. However, while he had succeeded opening the case it had been suddenly put to a stop because he disappeared. Some said he had been too embarrassed because the finalized report was correct and he’d run away overseas. Others said he’d taken the money invested in the case and run away with it. Jiro had never thought twice about it. He’d been too young then, he wouldn’t have been smart enough to figure such things out.

Jiro stared at the picture of him and Selina. Maybe Aaron was right. Selina’s father had been a down to earth smart person, he never would have made a mistake and shot himself.

***

Mei paced back and forth in front of the telephone booth. She’d skipped morning classes because she had been bothered by what she’d heard yesterday. She wanted to tell someone, but her sisters were all too young to clearly understand the situation. She would have gone to Jiro, but what if Selina was with him, and she didn’t know which police station he was stationed at. Mei grabbed the piece of paper with Aaron’s number and hurried into the booth.

***

Aaron had just slipped his jacket on when his phone began to ring. Taking it out of his pocket he wondered who would be calling him from a telephone booth.

“Can I speak to Aaron?” it was a girl.

“This is.” 

“Do you remember me? I’m Selina’s younger sister, Mei. We said we’d call each other if anything came up or if you had any questions,” Mei recalled.

“Oh yes, hi,” Aaron greeted.

“This isn’t a question, but something I happened to hear upon my mom and step-father arguing last night,” Mei continued. “I…my real father...I don’t think his death is accidental.”

Mei glanced around to make sure no one was around then continued, “My mom asked my step-father if he’d murdered my father.”

After hanging up Aaron could feel that what Selina had told him was the scary truth. Was Jiro going to open the case again? If he wasn’t, should Aaron tell him to talk to Mei? Would it persuade Jiro then?

***

Jiro looked up when his door opened.

“It’s quite noisy out there,” Jiro commented.

“Ah…yes some burglars are having a fist fight,” the officer said then placed a folder in front of Jiro. “This is what you requested this morning. All the detectives who worked with this case a few years back have been stationed elsewhere so I’m not sure what you can do with this.”

“I can open up this case and start investigating it if I wanted to right?” Jiro asked.

“Since there’s no one around to object, I’m guessing it’s alright if you want to investigate into it,” the officer replied, “but you’ll need to find people to work with you.”

“I have a colleague, she might be able to help. Thanks a lot.” Jiro thanked with a smile.

The officer nodded and walked out.

A while later, after Jiro had finished filing some papers he made his way to the other side of the building. Even though he had already started his job he hadn’t gone through the whole building to familiarize himself with the staffs or the building. It was his first time walking around the long carpeted halls. He passed the dozen doors on either side of him. He figured that the other side of the police station was a lot quieter than the side where he worked at. When he entered the room with large desks set next to one another he glanced around for Ella. There were many investigative reporters in the room bustling about. When Jiro heard a loud voice cracking up he made his way over to the back of the room. Ella was seated in her chair comfortably with her elbows on the desk, hands under her chin. She was talking to a co-worker when Jiro stepped up to them.

“Jiro!” Ella exclaimed.

“I’ll talk to you later then.” she bid farewll to her friend.

Jiro watched as the guy walked off then returned to Ella.

“Flirting are you?” Jiro joked.

“Yes.” Ella played along. “Do you want something?”

“Since you’re well acquainted with the officers, I want to ask you for a favor,” Jiro told then began to explain about Selina’s father’s case.

***

Aaron seemed impatient after Sam had closed down the restaurant. He had finished mopping and sweeping and was left standing against the wall by the door. Selina glanced over at him from the tables wondering what was on his mind. When the door opened Aaron quickly turned to look at Jiro then immediately pushed him back out.

Selina dropped her cloth on the table moving from her position wondering why Aaron would suddenly go outside with Jiro.

“What’s gotten into him?” Calvin asked. “Does he want to beat up Jiro for something?”

Selina glanced at Calvin then turned back to the door.

***

Jiro stared back at Aaron surprised.

“You have to start investigating the case again,” Aaron persisted, “if you don’t believe me, there’s someone else you can talk to. She heard it with her own ears.”

“If you’re talking about Selina’s father, then you’re too late,” Jiro told.

Aaron was left clueless with a frown on his face.

“I’ve talked with a friend about it and she’s helping me round up people. We’re going to continue the case again.” Jiro finished. “I’ve finally thought about it and Selina’s father doesn’t seem like someone who would accidentally mishandle a gun. I grew up with Selina after all, so I should know some things at least. Thanks though for suggesting it.” Jiro paused then added something else, “But next time if you want to talk, we should do it in a secluded place. We don’t want anyone to overhear what we’re saying.”

Aaron finally took a breath of relief and nodded.

“You said there’s someone who’s willing to talk about it?” asked Jiro.

Aaron turned to look at Jiro unsure, “Well…I’m not sure if she’s willing to talk about it…but I’m sure you know her.”

“Selina?” Jiro guessed.

“Selina’s sister, Mei Mei.” 

***

Aaron was left staring at the wall his bed was next to. If he couldn’t talk about the other things, there was one thing he could talk about and that was Selina’s father. It didn’t seem like a matter that was too personal and he couldn’t just go out and say he had been murdered. Aaron was clear on the fact that evidence was needed to prove a case and he was sure Selina’s father was murdered. If Selina said so, but didn’t do anything about it it would be something Aaron could do for Selina in hopes that she would feel better.