3

Still Sit Here Alone

 

Selina awoke the next morning, her heart drenched with an indescribable sick feeling. Selina changed into some new clothes she randomly picked out from the drawers and opened the door to find that it wasn’t light out yet. Without thinking she opened the door and traveled down the streets.

***

“Pig head, wake up!” Calvin screamed loudly as he threw the cover off Aaron.

“What do you want?” questioned Aaron curling up into a ball.

“Sam needs you to go open up the restaurant,” Calvin told.

“Why don’t you go?” questioned Aaron, his arms now over his head.

“Because I’m going with Sam to go get his car repaired!” Calvin explained annoyed and slapped the nape of his . “Now get up.”

Calvin left the room and Aaron pulled the cover over himself once more.

Aaron got up half an hour later to find that the house was deserted and only he was left. He sighed and made his way down the block toward the restaurant. He always thought it was lazy of Sam to drive his car all the way to the restaurant when they lived only blocks away, but Aaron felt now he understood Sam’s laziness.

He lifted his head up and stopped before the restaurant only to feel his body freeze. Sitting by the door with arms around the knees that were pulled up to her chest was Selina. Aaron stared at her for a long time in order to confirm that he wasn’t creating illusions for himself. After a minute passed and blinking more than a dozen times Aaron decided he wasn’t dreaming. He took a step forward and knelt down by Selina.

“Hey are…you ok?” Aaron questioned nervously that he thought he could hear his voice shaking.

Selina slowly raised her head as if in slow motion and glanced around her. Her eyes widened as if lost and when she jumped to her feet Aaron fell back. Aaron quickly got up and glanced at Selina once more.

“Selina?” he questioned with a worried frown.

Selina turned to look at him and turned to look away rubbing the back of her head.

A silly smile came upon her face, “I don’t know why I’m here.”

Aaron stared at her thinking how she looked cute before averting his eyes elsewhere.

“Well, we still have some time before the shop opens,” said Aaron as he grabbed the keys out of his pocket.

Selina entered when Aaron held the door for her. Aaron soon walked passed her after the door shut and started to preheat everything and turned all the lights on. Selina stood and watched him feeling a little dumbstruck because no matter how hard she thought she didn’t know why she'd left Jiro's house so early just to sit by the restaurant door.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Aaron asked again as he walked by.

Selina nodded and a few seconds later her stomach gave a small growl. When Aaron looked over at her Selina felt a little embarrassed. Aaron let out a small laugh.

“I guess I’m just hungry…” Selina replied with a small smile.

Aaron walked toward the fridge, “You’ll get to taste food made by men if Jiro hasn’t already made you some.”

Aaron glanced at Selina slightly regretted having said that, at the same time he didn' t know why he said that.

Selina smiled as she sat down on a stool, “He’s only made cookies for me. Lets see what Chef Aaron can make today for breakfast. I can tell you Judge Selina doesn’t take things too lightly.”

While Aaron began preparing breakfast he found that he had already gone into a deep conversation with Selina. He felt glad because he hadn’t been able to speak to her like that before and she had never spoken to him like that before either. As time went by and sun became a little brighter outside Aaron finished his dish. Selina stared at the food set in front of her, her eyes gleaming.

“Whoa! It looks good!” Selina exclaimed.

She picked up her chopsticks and slowly grabbed something off the plate and put it into chewing slowly as if measuring the taste of salt and trying to see what else Aaron had put in the food. She tossed the food around in for a minute then swallowed with a delightful smile which caused Aaron to smile broadly. Boy, was he overjoyed that Selina enjoyed it.

“It’s really good. I don’t see why Sam doesn’t put you as chef,” Selina said. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

Aaron looked at the plate of food, “I only made one plate.”

Selina glanced down at the plate and pushed it a little toward him, “It’s ok. We can share.”

Aaron turned quiet. He was starting to feel shy again. He didn’t want to say that he felt full just by watching her eat. What would she think of him if he said such a thing? He had just started talking to her he didn’t already want to scare her off. Aaron reached for some chopsticks and grabbed the stool beside Selina.

“If you say so,” Aaron beamed.

Selina laughed as Aaron took his bite. She couldn’t help but find him amusing.

***

Jiro awoke early expecting to find Selina with his mother in the kitchen, but only found his mother cooking breakfast. She too gave him the questioning look of where Selina was.

“You didn’t see her?” questioned Jiro.

“I didn’t see her,” Mrs. Wang answered.

Jiro turned around and headed toward his sister’s room. He knocked a few times and when there was no answer he twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open. Silence enveloped him. He could feel a small pounding of fear in his heart. He wondered if something could have happened to her.

He headed back through the short hallway.

“I’m going out, mom,” Jiro told and quickly headed toward the door.

Parking his car not far away, Jiro ran out and stopped in front of the restaurant door. He peered inside through the glass door and could see Selina walking with plates to a table. He took a breath of relief and opened the door stepping in. Jiro walked pass Selina as she set a plate down on a table and he could see Selina’s questioning glance. He watched as Selina got caught into a small conversation with the customers and quickly excused herself to walking toward him.

“What are you doing here?” questioned Selina.

“Can I not be a customer?” asked Jiro.

“You don’t have work?” Selina wondered.

“My work is to be a customer having you serve me and being a detective watching you,” Jiro said with a slight smirk.

“That’s not work you bum,” Selina retorted.

Jiro straightened himself at the booth and glanced toward the back before quickly pulling Selina down to sit by him.

“What are you doing?!” questioned Selina trying to look back to see if the others had noticed.

“It feels slightly better this way,” Jiro smiled.

“Bimbo,” Selina name-called him as she slid off the seat.

When Selina entered the kitchen Sam and Calvin turned to look at her. Ignoring their gaze Selina walked over to look at the list of orders.

Sam cleared his throat, “I see your boyfriend is here. It’s quite ok if you two want to spend some time together.”

Selina glanced at him and turned to look at Calvin who sent her a smile.

“We’re not dating,” Selina clarified.

“You aren’t?” Sam asked with an eyebrow raised. “Well, seems someone is spreading rumors.”

Selina followed Sam’s gaze over to Calvin.

“He enjoys making Aaron feel worse…” Sam began when Calvin clasped his hand over Sam’s mouth to stop him from going on.

Aaron glanced up and Selina turned to look at him lost at what they were talking about. Aaron sighed and shook his head.

“Just ignore them, that way you’ll be on the safe side,” Aaron advised. Selina didn’t know whether he was being sarcastic or not. “You don’t want them to be nosing around about your life.”

“Hey, what do I have with Calvin?” Sam asked shoving Calvin’s hand off his mouth.

“Well, it’s true. Didn’t you say that Calvin is exactly like you?” questioned Aaron.

“It’s not that bad. C’mon,” Calvin waved his hand around.

Aaron looked at Selina and whispered, “If Jiro wants some food you can steal some for him. They wouldn’t care.”

Selina glanced at Aaron who quickly looked away as if he had never talked to her. Sometimes she wondered why he was so strange. Unpredictable was the word for him.

When they had closed and were cleaning up Aaron watched as Jiro helped Selina clean up in the dining room. Knowing as a fact that Selina wouldn’t bother about him, he did as much as he could to avoid hearing or listening to the two. As Aaron washed dishes he thought about the time he'd spent alone with Selina that morning. Though he'd eaten the meal he had made that morning dozens of times before, it had tasted best when he had ate it with Selina. He knew it was silly, but he missed being next to her even when it was his first time doing anything with her.

“Have a good night now, Selina,” Sam bid his farewell as he stood by the locked door of the restaurant.

“Yea, take care. You too, Jiro,” Calvin waved.

“Goodnight,” Jiro nodded.

“Bye,” Selina said to Calvin and Sam. She turned to look at the silent Aaron who seemed to be staring at the building across the street. “Goodnight, Aaron.”

Jiro turned to look at him then turned to Selina.

“Lets go,” Jiro told putting his hand on her shoulder and led her to his car.

***

Aaron turned to watch Selina’s back disappear into Jiro’s car. He felt a little guilty for avoiding her when maybe she had wanted to talk to him. Shortly after a few seconds he felt Calvin turn to look at him.

“Shut up,” Aaron snapped. “If you’re going to say something disturbing, forget it.”

Calvin laughed, “You’re really looking down on me. You made a fool out of Sam too.”

“It’s your fault, Calvin,” Sam blamed then he got into his car starting the engine and turning the radio volume to its max.

“Hey,” Calvin placed a hand on Aaron’s shoulder, “I was just going to say it doesn’t seem like Jiro likes you much. I think he knows what you’ve been hiding.”

Aaron turned to look at Calvin with a glare that turned soft.

“You’re a moron, you know?” questioned Aaron. “It’s impossible for Selina to like me anyway.”

Aaron turned and went into Sam’s car.

Calvin stared after him, “You’re so miserable. That’s the only thing you know how to do in life.”

***

Selina glanced at the silent Jiro next to her in the car with his hands on the wheel. Usually he would be talking.

“Something bothering you?” asked Selina.

Jiro didn’t answer.

“Detective, if you’re mad about me calling you names, I sincerely apologize,” Selina role played.

Jiro entered the driveway and got out of the car. Frowning Selina followed after him. Closing the door after her she found that Mrs. Wang wasn’t on the couch watching TV like usual. Selina figured that she must be asleep. Deciding to ignore Jiro she went into her borrowed room only to hear someone knock on the open door behind her. She turned to see Jiro.

“Are you over being mad now?” asked Selina.

A foolish smile came onto Jiro’s face, “Nah. I’m not mad.”

“Then what’s with ignoring me,” Selina wondered.

“I’ve noticed something,” Jiro went on, “don’t you remember that Aaron kid?”

Selina frowned, “Aaron? No why?”

Jiro laughed a little, “Never mind then.”