11

Still Sit Here Alone

Selina lightly pushed herself away from him and stared at his face.

“Why are you still hanging on?” Selina asked.

Jiro’s expression turned from sad to confusion.

“What do you mean?” 

“That…why haven’t you moved on?” asked Selina making herself clearer.

Jiro stared back at Selina silently and her hair affectionately.

“When you truly love someone, you don’t need words to say it,” Jiro said then smiled. “I’ll help you up.”

Selina felt her heart sink in disappointment as she placed her feet on the ground. She could sense Jiro looking closely at her injuries though he didn’t make any moves to come close. He gently grabbed her arm and helped her out of the room. Truth was, Jiro disliked seeing Selina so comfortable on another guy’s bed when she didn’t seem to feel the same way at his house, but he would make it work. He would get Selina to stay with him.

“Are you feeling better Selina?” Calvin asked when Jiro and Selina reached the bottom of the stairs.

Selina nodded her head.

“Tell Aaron I said thank you.” Selina said.

Calvin crossed his arms and nodded with a smile then glanced at Jiro.

“Goodnight,” Calvin said then closed the door after them.

Selina glanced at Jiro’s house cautiously when she got out of his car. A feeling that someone might be inside stopped her. When she felt Jiro’s hand on her shoulder she reminded herself that Jiro would be there. If something happened, he would be the rescuer. She took a breath and stood close to Jiro as he unlocked the door. Before going in, Jiro the lights and took a quick glance around before leading her inside. After Selina heard the door lock her heart finally stopped pounding so hard.

“Are you hungry? Do you want anything to eat?” Jiro offered.

Selina shook her head, “I still feel tired.”

Jiro glanced the gauze neatly wrapped around her wrists and grabbed her arm gently.

“I would hate myself forever if you never returned,” Jiro told. “I’m so glad and happy.”

Selina stared at Jiro, “You should thank Aaron for coming after me.”

Jiro stared at Selina with a tight look.

“I guess you’re right, even if I find him annoying, he’s the hero, am I right?” Jiro asked.

Selina looked at him, “You don’t seem ok.”

“Ok. Don’t worry about me, you should get a good rest and in the morning when mom returns, I’ll have her make a delicious breakfast for you.” 

Selina let Jiro put his hands on her shoulders and veer her into her room.

“Go get some rest now. I’ll be up if you need anything,” Jiro promised then turned around to walk away.

“Jiro,” Selina called.

She wanted to tell someone about her father. She wanted to tell someone about her overwhelming feelings that seemed to be killing her inside. Jiro turned around expecting her to go on, but Selina just stared at him with her eyes watering up. opened but no sound nor words came out.

She knew then that she wouldn’t be able to share anything with him anymore.

“Good night,” Selina faked a smile and turned around to close the door behind her.

As she exhaled tears began to fall one by one.

***

Aaron sat down on his bed and took out Selina’s picture from underneath his pillow. He ran his fingers over Selina’s face. Every time he saw her up close his heart would beat wildly. He always hoped maybe one day Selina would look over and realize he existed in this world too. Somehow her gaze was always somewhere else. Aaron felt an urge to cry out. Why was it that now when Selina finally noticed him, Jiro was coming back? It wasn’t fair. Why wasn’t God giving him a chance? Just once when he would be able to hold her…just once that he’d be able to console her…it would be good enough for him.

“It’ll be ok,” Aaron mumbled to himself then leaned back against the wall.

The next day everything proceeded as the usual. Aaron had gone to work, took customer’s orders, handed out food, and cleaned up the tables.

“Aaron!” Calvin suddenly shouted.

Aaron turned around to see Calvin pointing to the door with a wink. Frowning Aaron turned to see Hebe standing by the door way. Sighing, Aaron turned around and continued to clean the table. From behind Aaron could hear Sam laughing as he talked to Hebe and took her order. Aaron sighed again and started cleaning the table angrily.

Hebe watched him from behind clearly realizing that he wasn’t in a good mood. Hebe turned back to Sam and made her order to go.

***

Selina could hear raspy laughing and gun shots over and over in her ears. Her eyes suddenly opened and she found the sun shining over her. Sitting up slowly she found that she was drenched in deep sweat. She hated those nightmares that were always trying to take over her life. Selina threw over her covers and got out of bed. As she walked out she found Mrs. Wang watching television.

“Jiro’s suddenly starting his job today. He’s pretty disappointed he can’t watch after you today,” Mrs. Wang smiled sympathetically, “I know he’d like it if you brought him lunch. He told me to keep that a secret.”

“Oh,” Selina said. “Um…”

“Are you feeling better? I heard what happened yesterday, I’m so sorry about it,” Mrs. Wang apologized suddenly remembering the phone call she'd received from Jiro in the middle of the night. “Maybe you shouldn’t bring Jiro lunch then.”

“Oh no. It’s alright, don’t worry,” Selina assured. “I can make it there by myself.”

Mrs. Wang doubted, “Jiro might be mad at me.”

Selina walked over and hugged Mrs. Wang, “He never gets mad.”

Selina raised her hand up to block the sun light from her eyes as she stepped outside. Selina looked around and found that the streets were busy. She gave a sigh of relief. Nothing would happen if there were others around. Selina flagged down a taxi.

After paying the taxi fare Selina quickly got out of the car and pulled her hat down so it’d cover more of her face. Selina walked inside the police station.

There were a few desks around occupied with some officers and clients. As Selina headed over to the front desk she heard loud shouting erupt nearby.

“I did not!” a big man shouted.

“Calm down, sir,” the officer cooed.

“No, I will not! I don’t understand why you’re putting me in jail for this!” he screamed.

“You’re still going to court to testify for this. All you need to do is sit and wait for someone to come bail you out,” the officer explained firmly.

“I will not go to court! And I will not wait! You have to no right to keep me here! I’m innocent! If you’re a damn police officer, do your freaking job right! You people are so stupid! You can’t even keep the law justified!” 

“We’ve already found your DNA data in her room. You’re already accused of her,” the police officer told. “If you don’t follow orders, the district will refuse to set a bail on you.”

Selina could feel her hands begin to sweat.

“Ma’am,” the woman at the front desk called.

Unable to hear her, Selina quickly turned around to run out, but bumped into someone.

“Selina?” Jiro asked.

Selina could still feel her heart pounding fast. She drew her head down to tell herself to calm down.

“What are you doing here?” Jiro asked and soon noticed the shouting. “Lets go to my office.”

Covering her off from the scene Jiro led her into a small room with a wide window by the wall. He sat her down on the couch and sat beside her.

“Why did you come here?” he asked.

“Your mother suggested bringing some lunch,” Selina told holding the lunch box up with her hand shaking.

Jiro grabbed her hand and took the lunch box. Selina kept her eye on the hand that was still in Jiro’s grasp. It felt good, but Selina had to admit she didn’t want him to hold her hand. It wasn’t right for her anymore.

“It’s alright. Next time tell mom I’ll come home to eat,” Jiro said. “Are you ok? Did the shouting outside scare you?”

Selina shook her head.

“I’ll take you back home,” Jiro suggested.

***

It hadn’t been busy at all the whole day. Aaron found himself sitting behind the counter wondering how Selina was doing. If she was resting up, if she was still feeling afraid, if she thought of him. If only Jiro hadn’t come and forced Selina out of their house. Aaron could see it all over her face that Selina was tired and still wanted to rest more. Couldn’t Jiro see it?

“What are you thinking so hard about?” asked Sam.

“Ah I know. You aren’t still scared, are you?” Calvin asked. “What if that stalker comes after you?”

“Be quiet, Calvin,” Sam ordered. “It’s not funny. One of them could have gotten really hurt.”

“Sorry,” Calvin replied then sat down next to Aaron.

“You can’t be disappointed, we all know Selina won’t be able to come to work today,” Calvin tried to make him feel better. “She’ll surely come back though, like always.”

Their comforting words didn’t help assure him. What if Jiro kept Selina from coming back?

Aaron suddenly turned to them, “Haven’t you guys noticed? At times Selina would become different. Like she’s really scared of someone.”

“She does?” Calvin asked raising his head up to look at Aaron.

“You mean like that time she suddenly dropped the plates after the little boy came in,” Sam added.

“And when she started working, she seemed really hesitant to go home by herself,” Aaron pointed out.

He could easily recall the moment Selina had slapped his hand and screamed at him.

“Do you think…she knows the stalker?” Sam asked in a quiet whisper.

Aaron returned Sam’s stare, something pounding within his heart.