06 // the idea

►►running after you

 

You had just finished showering and were now getting ready to go to work after a long run. You can’t say you weren’t disappointed at the fact that Dongwoo hadn’t showed up that morning, but you HAD said it was alright and he needed his sleep. Which was true. You assumed with as popular as Infinite was, his schedule was probably grueling, and asking him to run with you in the morning was selfish of you.
 
SunMi had woken up early and was waiting for you on the couch when you stepped out of your bedroom, fully clothed. You best friend grins, “Jieun~ Tell me about the phone call.”
Your expression turns from slightly upset to flat out defeated, “Oh, uh... It went okay.”
“...Did you run with him this morning?”
“Nahh. He was tired.”
 
SunMi stands, a concerned look on her face, “Did you two have a fight?”
“No, no. Nothing like that. I think I made things weird.” You laugh and scratch your head, “That’s the last time I let you convince me someone likes me, though. That’s so embarassing.”
 
“Wait, what?”
“Well, I didn’t really confess, I just... I don’t know. He was silent, though. And now I’m just...” You look up at the clock on the wall, “I’m going to be late if I don’t leave. See you tonight.”
 
SunMi stares after you as the door shuts, confused. Dongwoo was so smitten the other night, how could you not realize he liked you? She opens her phone and texts Sungyeol, wondering if he might know what’s going on. She knew it was early, and he wouldn’t answer right away but it was worth a try anyway.
She walks into your room and sees your phone on your desk. She picks it up with a frown, “Jieun forgot her phone? Weird...” She shrugs and puts it into her own pocket, “I’ll bring her lunch today and take it with me.”
 
---
 
You kept a professional stance at work, doing everything exactly how it was asked of you, but you were quiet. That really wasn’t anything new, you were naturally a quiet person, but every time you thought about that call last night, a frown would appear and you would just find yourself wishing you could do it over. Or even just not have answered your phone at all.
 
It’s nearing lunch time and your producers comes over to let you know. She smiles sweetly, “Jieun, you look tired. You have a friend waiting for you for lunch, so go ahead and take a break.”
You give a half-hearted smile and bow, “Thank you. I’ll come back as soon as I’ve finished.”
 
You walk to the lobby of the building, looking around for SunMi. It had to be her, right? The only friend you had in Korea. You spotted her waiting around with two plastic bags, looking around curiously at the random staff and idol groups passing in and out. 
“SunMi!” She looks to you and you wave a bit. 
She jogs over happily, holding up the bags, “You seemed so sad this morning! I thought I’d bring you something that’d cheer you up!” 
 
“Thanks.” You give a small smile and have her follow you to a small break room for staff. 
Being that it was empty, you figured it’d be a good place to talk if that’s where SunMi wanted to go with it.
 
SunMi opens the bags to reveal cheeseburgers bursting with toppings, “I know you missed hamburgers as much as I have. My boss told me about this place.”
Your eyes grew wide, “Your boss is my hero, SunMi. You should tell him I love him and everything about him.”
 
“Woah, girl. Woah. My boss is married, and you have a man, right?”
You know she had good intentions, but your expression drops again and you pick at your food, “Right...”
 
She sighs, pulling out her phone as it vibrated, “Sungyeol says that Dongwoo is upset too.” She looks at you, “What happened exactly? I’m your best friend, you should know it’s okay to tell me these things.”
 
You shake your head, “It’s nothing.” After eating a few bites of the burger, you put it back down and push the styrofoam container away, “I can’t eat anymore...”
“Jieun.” SunMi’s tone is harsh when she calls your name.
You smile brightly, “Save it for me, I’ll eat it when I get home tonight. Promise.”
 
SunMi’s eyes flicker a bit and you can tell she has an idea, “What’s going through your head right now?”
“Nothing~” She smiles sweetly and packs up your food, putting it back in the plastic bag, “Nothing at all~”
You roll your eyes, but don’t fight with her, “Alright. I have to get back to work, so I’ll see you tonight?” 
She nods, “Do you care if I finish first, though? I’m hungry and I don’t want to get in trouble for not being staff or guest.”
You flush, forgetting she had to eat too, “Oh, yeah. Sorry.” You rest your head on your arms as you wait for her to finish.
 
---
 
SunMi sighs once she’s back home and flips her phone open, dialing a number, “Sungyeol, I think I know how to cheer them up. We have to be quick about the set up, though.”
 
---
 
You stretch as you reach the door of your apartment and sigh. What a boring day this had turned out to be. You open the door and turn on the lights, “SunMi? Why are the lights off? Hello?” 
You pout a bit and move further into the quiet building, “Hello?”
You look down at the coffee table where your phone is sitting with a note underneath.
You unfold the note carefully.
 
Jieun-
Sorry, I forgot to give you your phone back at lunch! It was dead anyway so I charged it for you <3
I need you to get dressed and come meet me. I met a guy, and he wanted to go out with some friends
and I need your support, even if you go totally wallflower on me like I know you will.
Because I have zero faith in your fashion sense, I left an outfit on your bed for you.
Call a taxi and be there as soon as you can! I’m probably screwing up already. haha!
You can’t say you don’t feel like it. I NEED YOU. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.
Here’s the address 
xoxo Sunmi <3
 
You frown at the address of what you assume is a club, “I guess if she needs me...” You pout and huff before moving to your bedroom to stare at the clothing left on your bed, “She serious? I don’t have the body to pull that off... SunMi, you’re crazy...”
 
---
 
The cab driver raises his eyebrows suggestively as you’re close to your destination, “If you don’t want to go, you can always stay with me.”
You laugh awkwardly, “It’s alright. My best friend is going to be there.”
He sighs and mumbles to himself, pulling into the parking lane in front of the building.
 
You exit the cab and hold your long jacket against yourself, not wanting anyone to see what you look like underneath. You look up at the door for a minute before dialing SunMi on your phone. 
“Hey girl, you here yet?”
You nod, “Yeah! I’m outside. This guy had better be amazing. I hate being outside.”
She laughs and you can hear a door open on her end of the call, “Yah! Jieun!”
You look up to the door and hang up the phone so you can run to SunMi before someone looks at you weird.
 
She pokes at you and pouts, “Your hair looks nice down, but what’s with the plain makeup and the jacket? Did you even wear what I put out for you?”
“Well, I am wearing it... but it looks weird, SunMi. I don’t feel comfortable...” You blush and avert your attention down to your black flats.
SunMi rolls her eyes and tears the jacket off, revealing a black dress that stopped embarrassingly high on your thighs. It covered up your entire front, and was even long-sleeved, but the back was entirely cut out ending in a v-shape just above your hip bones. There was a single black ribbon that came from the shoulders and met loosely below your neck in bow.
 
SunMi whistled, “DAAAANG. I’m glad I made you wear that. Look at you! You’re gorgeous!” You shake your head in disagreement, but she’s already pulling you by your wrist towards where the music was playing.
The building was infact a club, but rather than the club you expected it to be, it was actually a semi-quiet, almost clean jazz club. It was a nice atmosphere compared to what SunMi had brought you to in the past. The girl who was still dragging you had pushed her way through the small crowd and shoved you into what you assume is a private room, since no one else was present.
 
“Jieun. You might hate me after this, or you might love me. What I really want you to know is that this was all Sungyeol’s idea.”
“HEY! YOU AND MYUNGSOO HELPED TOO.”
SunMi hushed Sungyeol as you turned around with big eyes to look at them. She clears and continues, “Try not to be too awkward. You’ll thank us someday.”
 
And with that, Dongwoo was shoved into the room and the door was closed.
Only the sound of the lock from the outside could be heard amongst the heavy and awkward silence that filled the room.