Next Chapter

Love is Like Books

 

         I lost count of how many times I have read this book. Rereading it was all I could do as all the other books held no interest for me. I smiled as I reread what was my favorite line from the book,

        “Love is like the wind…You can’t see it, but you can feel it.” – From A Walk to Remember

         Though I happen to disagree. Love can be seen, in fact it’s everywhere. When a couple holds hands, when a mother kisses her child, when the guy shields his girl from the elements, or when a couple makes up after a fight. Even when you look into the eyes of a lover. It is love. Love is everywhere and in everything. Whether that is my own emotions speaking or the truth, I believe love is more than just the wind.

        I skipped to the library. For this time I was in a hurry to see HanEul. Just seeing her brought a smile to my face. The closer I got to our spot as I searched the aisles, the faster my heart began to race. That giddy feeling overwhelmed me, only to be shattered when there was no HanEul waiting for me. Instead, there was a book propped up against the shelf with a sticky note attached to it.

   Did you like the book? If you did, you should definitely read this one too. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there today. I have exams. 

~ HanEul

           The small note felt refreshing as I came to the conclusion that she thought of me and wanted to tell me where she was. I sat down and took the book. It was by the same author but the title was, The Notebook. I will not say I’m fond of romance novels, but for some reason I was drawn to these stories. Written from a guy’s perspective was probably the most appeal, but then again I’m reading these to better understand the girl that introduced me to these things. So maybe, knowing her favorite things was another attraction.

         This one seemed no different than the first as the woman develops a disease that causes her to lose memory of her love and the guy does his best to help her remember. It was another bittersweet love story.

        Are all love stories she enjoys reading tragic? Is there not a happy ending for her love story and that’s why she like tragic stories? Does she even like happy endings? If I could, I love to be the one to always make her smile. But what if she already has her prince? What if she's with another guy right now? These questions filled my mind since I didn’t have her with me. Is this how it is with books then, when you’re not reading it?  Making assumptions because the ending was unknown? 

         All I knew was that I wanted HanEul by my side again. I needed my story with me because I wasn’t done reading her yet. But then again, did I want to finish our story when it just started? Did I want an ending with her?

          I opened the book to distract myself from her and once again the words off the page began to speak to me. The book consumed me like a black hole. My mind was one with Noah (a/n: Noah is the main character of The Notebook) and I was the main character of the story trying to save my lover from her memory loss. The book had me so deep into the story that I didn’t notice that another person had come down my aisle. It was not until she sat beside me that I recognized her presence, “Someone's enjoying the story.”

          Just the sound of her voice made my heart tense up and then speed up like it was on steroids. She took out her books and picked one up as she leaned back on the bookshelf behind us, our shoulders touching, “Yeah, it’s actually pretty good.”

        “What’s your favorite line from the book?” She nudged me playfully, and something told me that we’d probably share the same line.

        “What was your favorite?” I turned to her to meet her eyes and saw a sudden flash of excitement.

         “My favorite…'Love is like the wind, you can’t see,” I joined in with her as she said the last six words, “it but you can feel it.'

          She stuttered, surprised that I knew the line as well and slowly her cheeks grew pink. I reached up and her face, wanting to feel her soft skin under my touch, “You’re blushing.”

           She hid her face and held her cheeks, “Am not.”

          I chuckled and continued to read my book even though it was no longer the story I was interested in. My real story was with me, and that’s all that mattered. I was ready to move to the next chapter in this story, hoping she’d be there with me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the comments and the love it means a lot and really makes this story enjoyable for me to write.

Until next update