First Meeting

Love is Like Books

 

       The synchronized sound of keys being pressed down on the keyboards and the continuous sound of flipping pages was all that went on at the library. It was a monotonous place with not an inch of excitement. The only reason I was here was to get my essay done for my history class. I scanned each aisle looking for the books I needed only to get confused as each section looked the same with the thousands of books that lined the shelves. I looked down one last time at my piece of paper and headed to the very back aisle where the last book I needed was waiting. Nearing the back of the library the number of people occupying the rows dwindled to it only being me and the books, but as I got to my section the sound of a soft hum and clicking shoes greeted me with a startle.

        A girl sat sprawled on the floor with stacks of books surrounding her, her feet out in front and her shoes clicking together as she happily turned the pages of her book.  I slowly walked down the aisle before hers and watched her through the shelves as she turned the pages with a genuine smile on her face. 

        Continuing down the aisle as I watched the girl through the shelves was a bad idea as I didn’t notice the small stool that blocked my path and clumsily tripped on it with a loud thud, “Ooof.”

        The girl looked up from her book and met eyes with me through the shelf. her eyes upturned to small cresents as she covered to hide her laughter. I tried my best to play it off but as she started to giggle, I knew I was caught.

       “Are you okay?” She whispered with a voice that was like bells. I walked around to where she was and scratched the back of my head, “Yeah…I’m fine.”

        She nodded her head as she brought her attention back to her book and continued to read. I finally searched the shelf for my book when I scanned down to the very bottom shelf, only to realize she was sitting in front of the place where my book was. I crouched down beside her and tapped her shoulder, “Umm, I need a book behind you.”

        She looked up at me from behind her glasses with an innocence that was heart stopping. Her face was highlighted by the fact her hair was pulled backin a loose ponytail that was swept to the side, her bangs pinned up. I smiled at her and she blinked repeatedly as she pushed up her glasses, “Oh, I’m sorry.”

       The girl moved so I could get my book and as I reached for it I looked up at her to see her ears turn red. I chuckled slightly to myself as I pulled back, “Thanks.”

       She no longer looked up at me, but instead answered only with a slight nod of her head. I looked around us to see there was no one around and plopped down in front of her, opening up my own books, “Mind if I sit here with you?”

       She finally lifted her head up to look at me and shook her head, “Be my guest.”

       The silence after that was something a little more uncomfortable for me than it was for her. I moved around repeatedly, completely ignoring my book as she sat still with only her hands moving to turn a page.

       “My name is SuHo by the way.” I finally had the guts to speak having enough of the dreaded silence. She didn’t look up to answer but a smirk crept up to her lips, “I know who you are, we have history class together.”

       We did? I scanned my brain for the answer and realized she was right. We did have that class together, but how is it that I overlooked her? That’s when I remembered she was one of those people that always sat up front actually listening to the teacher while I sat at the back more worried about how much sleep I could get.

       “Oh, right,” I felt awkward now since she knew my name but I had no idea what hers was.

       “My name is HanEul ,” She looked up at me as if reading my mind and answered my mental question.

       “I knew that," I acted cool about it, but she saw right through my phony act and nodded her head, “Sure you did.”

        The awkward silence came back and I ached for her to say more. I looked beside her at the large stack of books and read off the titles, Jane Eyre, Romeo & Juliette, The Notebook, Pride and Prejudice. 

        She was reading a book called, A Walk to Remember, and I couldn’t help myself and asked, “Have you read all of these before?”

        She closed her book, “Yes, I have.”

        I sensed a little bit of annoyance or maybe nervousness in her voice and put a hand up in defense, “ I was just asking. I mean why read these books over and over again when you have a lot more to choose from? Why go back to the same things?”

        HanEul gave a long audible sigh, “When you find the ones you like, you just don’t want the story to end, I guess, and you want to keep reading it. When you find the one you like, you just stop looking. I have to go.”

       With that she stood up collecting her books without another word. I watched as she slung her back over her shoulder and turned to smile at me before leaving. She left without a goodbye.

        I stood up as well from our spot and tapped the book in the palm of my hands as I walked back to the main part of the library, her words replaying over and over again in my mind,

        ‘When you find the one you like…you just stop looking.’

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This story is just too long to be a oneshot

so it will be maybe a three or four shot? hahahaha

Thanks for taking the time to read it

Don't forget to comment