Jae Hwa & Mi Hi The Parents of Chansung

The Lonely Prince and The Thief

 

‘Aiish be careful with him Jae-Hwa please!’

She stressed, watching as the man before her lifted the small baby boy slightly into the air, a smile spread across his face as the baby chuckled happily at the gesture of being lifted, tiny hands reaching for Jae-Hwa as he smiled back, slowly lowering him down so that he would rest easily in his arms, his body turning towards the female who sat by with a scowl on her face.

‘Lighten up Mi Hi, he’s enjoying it~ Look at this face!’

Jae Hwa stepped a little closer to the unpleased Mi Hi now, showing off the baby’s happy smiles and moving hands, Jae Hwa sporting his own smile as the mother narrowed her eyes, reaching her own hands out to take the child from his father, a frown decorating his face as he willingly handed the baby over, Jae Hwa’s arms crossing over his chest in a sulking manner.

‘I wasn’t going to hurt him.’

He mumbled, Mi Hi slowly standing from her sitting position, her own lips curving into a soft smile when her baby boy stared up at her with his wide brown eyes, blinking over and over like he was just recognizing her for the first time. She shook her head back and forth before having to look up, Jae Hwa’s arms wrapping casually around her waist, his head resting on her shoulder, lips pressing a kiss to the inside of her neck, swaying her slightly back and forth.  Mi Hi tilted her head a little, continuing to stare down at the baby boy in her arms; she could wipe the growing smile on her face as she turned to Jae Hwa, her teeth now showing to him.

‘It’s amazing how much Chansung’s starting to look like you day by day~’

Mi Hi spoke, Jae-Hwa laughing, releasing Mi Hi, the mother turning around so that she could face him, Chansung babbling away in her arms as she looked up to the man in front of her, an eye brow cocked, she hadn’t understood why he was laughing.  Chansung definitely looked more like him, his hair as black as night and wide brown eyes, not even a trace of Mi Hi seemed to be in him as he was growing.  Jae Hwa ran a hand gently over the baby’s head staring down at him as well.

‘He’s going to look just like me, but probably have your hard attitude and stubborn demeanor~’

 Jae-Hwa stated, earning a snort from Mi Hi joined by a hard tap to the chest, her eye brows heavily furrowed, her bottom lip poked out in a playful pout. Jae Hwa quickly backed away as the woman tried to kick him as well, his feet stumbling a little, but he managed to catch himself while continuously laughing.

‘I do not have a hard attitude nor am I stubborn!’

Mi Hi announced, turning away with her nose turned up and Chansung held firmly to her chest, the baby also smiling at his mother, kicking his little feet playfully.  Mi Hi stuck her tongue out at Jae-Hwa and Chansung, but playful and softly pinched Chansung’s nose, earning a squeal that caused both of them to jump at the same time; Chansung was only smiling though as Jae Hwa rejoined the two,

‘You have a meeting with Elder don’t you today?’

Jae Hwa spoke quietly now; the playful atmosphere dying down as the smile on Mi hi’s face had vanished, her eyes only on Chansung as she nodded her head up and down. Jae Hwa reached out again scooping the small boy up and gently cradling in his arms again.  Mi Hi’s arms lingered in the air for a moment before she dropped them, turning to Jae Hwa who was kissing Chansung’s forehead before heading over to the small crib in the corner of the room.  Mi Hi followed silently, watching as Jae Hwa placed him in the crib before turning to her, his wide arms enveloping her in a hug, pulling her close.  Her arms circled his waste, face burying in his shirt.

‘I don’t want him to live the life I had when I was a child, I’ve been praying for god knows how many nights that he will only be a normal child like you.’

She spoke against his chest, clutching the back of his shirt tightly, Jae Hwa holding her closer.  He let a sigh pass his lips, his cheek resting on the top of Mi Hi’s head; she had turned her own head so that she could look towards the crib where Chansung was wiggling and making every noise he could.

‘You could just get it over with and look yourself, instead of going through all of this.’

Jae Hwa stated, pulling back his wife back, just far enough so that he could look at her properly, his face showing nothing more than concern for the woman he loved. It took her a moment to be able to look at him directly, but she eventually did, her own emotions showing as unsure; Mi Hi was shaking her head back and forth though, lowering as she sighed herself, lifting her hands to cover her face.

‘I’m too afraid…  I-I’d rather someone else look and just tell me then look and have to deal with it in my mind by myself until I have to force myself to tell someone.’

She mumbled into her hands, Jae Hwa biting his lower lip, pulling at Mi Hi’s wrists to get her hands away from her face, her eyes glossed with what was probably threatening tears.  Jae Hwa refused to let his wife cry, quickly bending down to press a few kisses to her lips.  Mi Hi couldn’t help but whimper at first, but eventually allowed herself to calm down, accepting the kisses her husband placed on her lips, placing a few of her own kisses on his lips.

‘He’ll be normal Mi Hi… I promise.’

He whispered into her ear; casually running his fingers through long brown strands. Mi Hi allowed her hands to rest carefully on his shoulders.

‘Please don’t promise something you will never know is true or not.’

--

‘Mi Hi!’

A small, squeaky voice shouted from across the room, Mi Hi stepping through the open door with Chansung held in her arms, Jae Hwa stepping in right behind his wife.  A girl, looking to be about the age of three was darting across the small room that the two had stepped in, the girl wearing the brightest smile as she instantly attached herself to Mi Hi’s leg, hugging it tightly, stopping the other to where she couldn’t walk.  Mi Hi was smiling down at the girl,

‘Hello to you too little miss Sunye, I see you are very happy today.’

Mi Hi spoke, Sunye detaching herself from Mi Hi’s leg so that she could tilt her head back and look up, her teeth showing with a bright smile.  She was nodding her head up and down quickly, her usual hyper behavior, and bubbly attitude shining like normal as she turned around to skip towards the back of the house, where now an older lady appeared through one of the side doors that lead to a different part of the house.

Mi Hi stepped forward slightly, with a little bow of her body, Chansung being held a little tighter as Mi hi gave the woman a sheepish smile, Jae Hwa staying at her side, bowing also towards the same person.  Sunye was now around the older woman’s legs.

‘Good afternoon Mi Hi, Jae Hwa.’

The woman spoke, holding her hands neatly in front of her as she stepped forward, a smile gracing her wrinkled face as she laid eyes on Chansung.  He was wide awake and wiggling in his mother’s arms, though they had him perfectly swaddled, he still seemed to be getting out of his restraints, both his arms waving about crazily.

‘I see Chansung is very rambunctious today.’

The woman chuckled, offering to take the baby; Mi Hi hesitated though, Chansung though moving around like a maniac, he was still close to his mother’s chest, not budging from that spot as Mi Hi stared uneasily at the older woman.  Jae Hwa stepped a little closer, a hand resting on her shoulder,

‘I’m so sorry Elder, I-I’m just hesitating.’

Mi Hi spoke quietly, her lower lip being bitten; the elder only smiling towards Mi Hi who was gnawing at her lower lip now, looking down at Chansung with fear in her eyes, she was forced to look up when the Elder placed her hands on Chansung,

‘You don’t even have to let him go honey, ‘

She spoke, Mi Hi jumping; Chansung doing the same as well, getting more than a little scared, he was already crying by the time the Elder ran her thin wrinkly fingers over the top of his head.  He was still wailing when the Elder stepped back, chuckling.

‘Grandma, baby Chansung is crying!’

Sunye spoke up, patting her grandmothers leg, frowning as she looked up to Mi Hi who was trying to rock the baby to calm him down, Mi Hi’s face more than stressed as Jae Hwa stepped forward and swooped the child from his mother’s arms, bouncing him up and down carefully; Chansung now slowly calming to only a few hiccups.

‘He’s going to be a feisty one when he grows up.’

The Elder announced with a smile spread across her, Mi Hi, though she was turned towards Jae Hwa and Chansung, she whirled around to the Elder, her arms wrapped tightly around her body now.  Eager eyes looking to the other woman who was still all smiles.

‘Mi Hi, you have nothing to worry about, your boy holds no special powers as you do.’

She replied, Mi Hi’s jaw dropping open, like she couldn’t believe what the woman had just told her.  The Elder was still chuckling as Jae Hwa stepped forward, his smile so big and Chansung babbling away like he was happy as well.  Mi Hi turned to him instantly placing her hands over , tears welled in her eyes.

‘Jae… He’s normal. He’s normal!!’

Mi Hi chanted, shaky hands reaching out to take the boy back into her arms.  Happiness over whelming her as Jae Hwa allowed her to take him back, Chansung was held high above her head, the smiling baby laughing and again reaching out for his mother.

‘See; and you were freaking out over nothing Mi Hi.’

Jae Hwa shrugged, ruffling Mi Hi’s hair as Chansung was lowered, his mother nodding her head a lot, her excited manner just as happy as Sunye was who darted for Jae Hwa, being lifted into the air by him as the girl squealed with delight just as Mi Hi did.  The elder was settling into her chair with a smile still on her face, but she spoke through all the excitement.

‘Mi Hi, Jae Hwa; I also forgot to tell you about our visitors today, they are out at the moment, but the couple has come from a very long way and I would like you to greet them properly~’

Mi Hi agreed of course, Jae Hwa doing the same, Sunye patting his face,

‘Mr. and Mrs. Park are funny!’

Sunye chanted cheerfully, clapping her little hands together as Jae hwa set her to the ground, his hands being placed on his hips, letting out a huff of air.

‘So much excitement in one day, don’t even know how to handle it all do we babe.’

Jae Hwa spoke, watching as Sunye went to join her grandmother in her chair, crawling onto her lap and settling down.  Mi Hi agreed, it was always exciting when people visited the village, it let them know that there was an outside and not just this little village in the middle of the Gyerim forest.

‘Are they medics?’

Mi Hi asked now, cuddling Chansung to her cheek, the happy baby only cuddling back as the Elder shook her head, running her fingers through Sunye’s short bobbed hair, fluffing it up playfully making the girl squirm and swat her hands away.

‘No, these two are just regular people; they brought news from Daegu about the prince that was born about a year or so ago.’

 The Elder replied, Mi Hi widening her eyes, shifting Chansung in her arms,

‘Prince, I didn’t even know the king had found a wife, that’s wonderful news.  So he’s older than Chansung?’

Mi Hi smiled, poking Chansung’s chubby cheek, she wished there were more children here Chansung’s age for him to play with when he got older, but sadly, most of the people here weren’t as young as her and Jae Hwa, and already had kids they were trying to keep track of.  Sunye was the closest age to Chansung, her being the second youngest in the village; but even then, she was still three years older than him.

‘Yes, about a year or two, I don’t quite know, but even then, to know we will have a prince in Daegu is wonderful indeed, just about as wonderful as when we heard about the new prince in Seoul.’

The Elder announced, Sunye shouting with delight as the sound of a door knocking cut the conversation short and Mi Hi was stepping back to stay close to her husband.  Jae Hwa looked down as Chansung was quickly shifted into his arms, his wifes calm and excited demeanor changing suddenly, had she felt something that wasn’t good?

‘What’s wrong?’

He whispered to her now, Chansung was only shifted quickly to him when Mi Hi didn’t feel safe, and it wasn’t often that happened, not in this small village with medics, the scariest thing that probably ever happened here was when Mi Hi came.

‘Welcome back.’

The elder spoke now, causing Jae Hwa to turn his attention away from his wife, she had never voiced her answer, just merely stared towards the opening of the door where the couple was entering.  A tall stalky man with dark hair and eyes and a women small and very petite, the same hair and eyes as her partner, but a sweet smile graced her lips as she entered.  Her’s and Mi Hi’s eyes instantly met, but Mi Hi wasn’t smiling when the door had been shut behind them and they entered casually, the man being the more intimidating, Jae Hwa was a pretty well-built man, but compared to this man, he looked so petite.  Mi Hi and the girl were practically the same size, the other maybe a little taller.

‘Mi Hi, Jae Hwa, I would like you to meet our guests for the time being.’

The Elder introduced them, allowing them to move forward, extended hands outstretched to them, Jae Hwa took a glance at his wife whose mouth was a thin line, this was her face she held when her nerves were uneasy, even not knowing whether Chansung was normal or not wasn’t this bad.  What were these two?

Turning back to the man and the woman, he held out a hand, balancing Chansung carefully, shaking the man’s hand.  His shake was so firm, kind of terrifying with how strong it was, but he shook it off and gave him a half smile.

‘Nice to meet you Jae Hwa I presume, I’m J.Y Park, and this is my partner Ga In,’

He stated, pulling his hand away, Jae Hwa wrapping his arm back around Chansung who too had gone quiet, he must have fallen asleep.  Jae Hwa didn’t look down as J.Y Park eyed the baby with a smile,

‘This must be your son.  The Elder has told me about this young man, and I must say he is a very handsome child.’

He smiled, opening his hands, asking with gestures if he may hold the child, Jae Hwa looked a little uneasy, looking down to his wife who hadn’t said a word yet.  She looked up at him with a heavy glare, but still hadn’t voiced anything.  Jae Hwa bit the inside of his cheek, but allowed Chansung to rest carefully in his hands, Chansung also looking tiny in this man’s arms.  J.Y Park looked so excited when he held Chansung though, turning to his partner Ga In who was already ready to take the child.  Jae Hwa hesitated, stepping forward, but Mi Hi had already been moving, taking no time in letting them hold the child any longer, Chansung back in her arms before any words could be spoken.

The Elder seemed stunned now, along with the couple who was watching with surprised eyes.  Mi Hi literally looked like she was about to hiss as she quickly swirled around the couple, holding Chansung as close as she could, she stormed out of the house with the door slamming behind her.

Jae Hwa, was quickly on her heels though, quickly apologizing to everyone in the room before darting after his wife.  Catching up to her before she hadn’t gotten to the house; she looked crazy when Jae Hwa whirled her around; his eye brows furrowed as he looked hard at her.

‘Jae Hwa…  They can’t touch Chansung ever. EVER; those people are bad, my stomach is churning just thinking about them.’

She hissed, jerking back from Jae Hwa, frowning heavily at her husband who was crossing his arms over his chest,

‘But you just met them; you don’t know anything about them.’

He implied, Mi Hi looking a little hurt, but her grip around the now squirming baby wasn’t letting up, it wasn’t tight enough to hurt him, but it was enough to make sure he couldn’t leave his mother’s arms.

‘I don’t have to know that Jae Hwa.  And you sure as hell know that, you knew that from the beginning when you said you loved me!  You know I can feel everyone, anyone knows and no one they know is good Jae Hwa!  I don’t trust them!  I don’t trust them at all!’

She shouted, her voice so loud that a few people poked their heads out from one of their windows, curious eyes trying to see why Mi Hi was yelling.  Jae Hwa stepped forward, but Mi Hi took a step back, Chansung whining some, he was feeling his mother’s uneasiness, he was crying within minutes, wailing as his mother held her hard look towards Jae Hwa.

‘Mi Hi, I know people know bad people, but that doesn’t mean that the other is bad also,’

He tried to reassure, but Mi Hi only snorted, this was her signature attitude, her anger obviously flaring, Jae Hwa wished she wasn’t holding Chansung, but there wasn’t anything he could do, Chansung was precious and Mi Hi wouldn’t hurt him, even when she was angery.

‘You don’t know anything!  You aren’t like me, you aren’t a witch!!  You aren’t constantly feeling the vibes from others I’m feeling!’

She continued to shout, Chansungonly wailing louder, Jae Hwa clenching his fist tight at his side and he literally jumped forward, prying Mi Hi’s fingers off the baby so that he was now in his arms, his back turned to Mi Hi; who instantly lunged forward, her fist pounding on his back, his body turning different ways as she tried to get around him.

‘Give him back!  Give me back Chansung!’

She exclaimed, clawing at Jae Hwa’s back, but he stepped forward and she stumbled forward, hitting the ground with her knees as she too started wailing, her’s and Chansung’s almost matching.  Jae Hwa turned around with a pained expression.  He didn’t like when Chansung wailed and he definitely didn’t like when his only love did it.  It hurt him badly looking down at his wife, his eyes adverted to Chansung who had now calmed down and only his wife’s sobs remained.

‘Jae hwa… Don’t let them hurt him; they’re going to hurt my baby.’

She sobbed, wiping away the unneeded tears, the dirt from the ground smudging on her face.  Jae Hwa knelt down in front of her, Chansung being offered to her, Mi Hi slowly wiping her hands clean before taking the child back.

‘No one’s going to hurt him babe, and I don’t want you to hurt him either, he’s all we got right now.  I would never allow anyone to do anything to him.’

Jae Hwa spoke, placing his hand carefully on her shoulder, Mi Hi staring only at Chansung,

‘My nerves Jae Hwa, make them stop telling me otherwise.’

She slowly raised her head to look at Jae Hwa,

‘I don’t like them Jae Hwa, I don’t want them here at all…’

--

A/N: Mi Hi and Jae Hwa's story will be continued in the next chapter.