Twenty-two

My Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ღ Chapter Twenty-two ღ

 

Kris tricked me into playing basketball with him at least once a month. It was ridiculous how often it happened, given that I regretted it after each time.

It really wasn’t even fair. Kris was so tall that he towered over me when he was guarding me. However, I was quick on my feet, and sometimes managed to duck around him. Key word: sometimes. 

I had always liked sports. In China, I had run track for the high school where I was doing my study abroad years at. During my first few years of college, I had picked up soccer from Lu Han and his roommate, and spent many afternoons with them on the field. Basketball had been something that I had picked up even more recently, and I think I did pretty well for a girl who was only 5ft 6in vs. a guy who was over 6ft.

“One-on-one is so unfair,” I growled at Kris as I backed the ball towards the hoop. My point was proven as my back hit Kris’ chest. He just stood there, holding out his arms to keep me from getting past him. “You are a wall, Kris Wu.”

“You’re just jealous of my skills, shorty” he taunted.

"I happen to be 3 inches taller than the average Korean female, thank you very much," I replied.

"Big accomplishment, I know," he grinned, reaching for the ball.

I pulled it back, and instead of going for the ball, Kris wrapped his arms around my waist, giving me a back hug.

“Yah, foul!” I barked, giggling and trying to pull away.

“I’m acting as referee, and I say no foul,” he muttered, letting out a low laugh.

“Does that even make sense, you being the ref?” I asked, successfully pulling away a moment later. I retreated away from the basket to the three point circle, then turned to face him. “Let’s play a game of Horse then,” I challenged. “Let’s see who has shooting skills when they don’t have a giant in their face.”

“Bring it, shorty,” Kris dished right back, striding up to me and patting me on the head.

I glared at him, and bared my teeth. I was going to crush him.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, I gave up. One did not simply crush Kris Wu at basketball. It was impossible. 

This was probably why I always regretted being harassed into playing with him at the end of the day, I thought. Kris always wins.  

“It’s okay, Jae-ah,” Kris said, grinning at me and joining me on the floor where I had collapsed next to my water bottle. “You’re pretty ballin’ for a girl.”

“Shut up,” I groaned, fanning sweat off my neck.

We were silent for a moment. I was too exhausted to talk or move, but I suspected Kris was just letting me rest.

“What time is it?” I asked, sitting up suddenly. “I almost forgot…I have class at 6pm today.”

Kris reached for his Nike bag and pulled out his cell phone to check the time. “It’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter