Thirteen

My Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ღ Chapter Thirteen ღ

 

The end of summer drew steadily closer, and along with that, the final decision deadline for the internship. I had still yet to register for grad school, wanting to await that verdict first. If I was not picked for it, I was seriously considering going to study abroad. Canada was sounding nicer and nicer, and even Australia had a calming tone to it. I liked koalas.  

The week before the deadline, I gave up on sleep. All 3 of us remaining interns got no shut eye as we just worked and worked, trying to beat each other.

It got to the point where I could no longer stand it anymore. I had just been up for almost 36 hours straight with only coffee to keep me functioning and I had just had enough. Maybe this wasn’t the career for me after all. Was it too late to switch to being a hobo?

The other 2 interns looked at me like I was crazy when I told them that I was taking the night off.

“But…today’s the last day before the deadline,” one of them told me.  

No dip, Sherlock. Did she think that I didn’t know?

“It’s 7PM, and I’m hungry and tired. I haven’t slept for two days, and I just need a break,” I shot back.

Besides, a few more hours isn’t going to win me that many bonus points with the CEO, so why bother? I needed to think for myself as well.

 

 

I found myself at the EXO-M dorm, trudging through the door looking…most likely…ty. I had dark circles under bloodshot eyes, and my head buzzed.

“Can I take a quick shower?” I asked Jongdae and Tao, who were sitting in the living room.

“Just remember to lock the door,” Tao replied with a nod.

 

The shower wasn’t quick at all, and I wanted to fall asleep in there. The warm air misted around my face, and I could feel the sore muscles in the neck loosening. A good half hour later, I stepped out, got dressed, and toweled my hair dry in front of the mirror. I reach for a hair brush, belonging most likely to Yixing, from a high shelf, and knocked a pair of pants off of the counter. A wallet dropped open.

I picked it up, and saw the picture in the clear plastic window in front of a bank card. To my surprised, I realized that I was in the picture. It had been taken at Lotte World, more than two years ago.

 

I had met Kris, Yixing, and Joonmyun even before the EXO grouping was announced. However, the others- I met only after. Things had been different back them, pre-debut, back when the members could go out in broad daylight and not get mobbed my girls. Even then, however, they always attracted attention and admiring glances from the girls.

The first time I met the others was at Lotte World, and half of the members, the ones that hadn’t gone home for the three day weekend turned up: Kris, Yixing, Tao, Baekhyun, Sehun, and Minseok. 

Lu Han had brought me along as a translator, especially since at that time, none of the Korean members spoke Chinese at all and Tao was just starting to learn Korean. 

Even by then, Lu Han and I had been friends for over a year, and it probably showed.

“Noona, have you ever auditioned for any talent companies?” Baekhyun had asked, eyes wide.

I shook my head at him, confused.

“Why not? You shine too bright for someone who isn’t on stage,” he replied with a flirty smirk.

“Really, Baek?” Yixing groaned, laughing at Baekhyun’s lame pick-up line.

“What?” he defended. “Jae-in noona is pretty; sue me.”

I couldn’t help but laugh.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter