Nineteen

My Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ღ Chapter Nineteen ღ

 

“A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other…maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late, or maybe forever.” -Dave Matthews.

 

 

My apartment chose to do renovation at possibly the worst time possible. I had caught a cold the day before as summer transitioned to winter, and had spent the whole day more or less throwing up. By the second day, I was no longer nauseous, but my whole body felt tired, my head hurt, and the loud sound of drilling downstairs made me want to cry.

“Come stay over here,” Lu Han had invited over the phone.

“I don’t want to burden you guys.”

“You’re not contagious, so just come and nap here. You just overworked your body and need some quiet rest time. You'll have the apartment to yourself today here.”

I was about to protest again, but another spurt of drilling made me close my eyes to fight the pain in my head. “Okay, okay.”

I brought with me my favorite blanket, and more or less collapsed onto the EXO-M couch. It was nice and quiet, and I the tv.

“Are you okay?” Kris asked, eyeing me from the doorway to the hall. “You’re looking really pale.”

“I’m always pale,” I muttered, trying my best to glare. But really, I was too lethargic to even express emotions at this moment.

“Do you need someone to stay with you?” Jongdae asked as he slipped on his jacket. The members all had dance practice today, and were about to head out together.

“No, it’s fine,” I told him. I really just didn’t want to bother them. I was already intruding in on their dorm.   

As soon as they left, I regretted it. I was sweating, then I was freezing. I curled into a ball and wished that I would just fall sleep soon or that someone would come to save me. It felt like hell.

As if my prayers were being answered, the door to the dorm swung open again, and Yixing strolled back in.

“I forgot my headphones,” he said, a little embarrassed. I was not at all surprised, since Yixing was always leaving things behind. He started for his room, but froze as he passed me. “Yah, Jae-in…you look horrible.”

“Thanks,” I groaned, cuddling even more into my blanket. “Yixing, can I get some more covers?”

“Yes, but…I’m going to get someone to here to stay with you.” He dropped two more blankets on me, and then pulled out his phone.

This time, I didn’t argue; I felt like I was going to die. The new blankets made me feel warmer, and I settled in. I probably should have just taken an a sleeping pill and gone to dreamland, but I had been raised to believe that western medicine was not good for the body.

“I have to go to practice now, but we’re going to take turns staying with you, okay?” Yixing said, hanging up. “Hyungs claimed the first shift, and they’ll be back in few minutes.” 

"Sure," I replied. I didn't really care who, as long as someone was here to make sure I didn't die. Yixing made sure that I was warm and tucked in, and then left.

When door opened again and Lu Han and Kris came back into the dorm, I almost cried again. I was feeling miserable, and just seeing their faces made me feel better.

“Alright, where does it hurt?” Lu Han asked, strolling up to me at once.

“My head,” I groaned. “…my throat...and my whole body.”

Kris stood back a little and watched. “You want something to eat?” he asked.

“No, I don’t think I’ll be able to keep it down.”

Kris nodded, and then disappeared down the hall. 

“Just sleep, Jae-ah,” Lu Han soothed, brushing my hair out of my face. “Anything I can do to make it better?”

I looked up at his doe eyes, and wanted to cry all over again. Geez, hormones. 

“Sing to me,” I told him.

Lu Han looked surprised, but took a seat next to me on the edge of the couch. “What would you like me sing?” he asked, looking down at me steadily.

I thought for only a moment before answering.

“Leehom. Sing ‘Heartbeat’ by Wang Leehom.”

This time, Lu Han didn’t look nearly as surprised. Leehom was one of my favorite Chinese singers, and Heartbeat was my favorite song by him. Lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter