Chapter 9

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“Waah~! That one with a pink bunny looks so kawaii…!”

I squealed at the white fondant cake with a pink bunny face made of sugar, resting on the shelf in the cake shop. It’s so cute. It even has violet ribbons on the edges. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And the flavor is chocolate with butterscotch in the middle!

“Would you like to get that one?” Koike-senpai asked me. I nodded in delight. He ordered a black forest gateau. That one looks good too…The chocolate looks tempting!

Err…but I better watch out, I really might get fat if I don’t control my portions…and Tegoshi will tease me!

Speaking of Tegoshi…

I searched around the shop. Oh…that baka. He’s only two tables away from us. He’s reading a newspaper like an old man, taking glances at us from time to time. I gave out another sigh and took a bite out of my cute cake. Wow, I’ve been sighing a lot lately, huh…

“You okay, Horikita-san?” senpai looked at me in a concerned way. I nodded. “Yep, this is really good. I’m sure this shop will have lots of fans.” “I agree. The cake is not dry and the sweetness is just right.”

Then we both smiled at each other and started to talk about different things. I began to feel less shy and awkward around him and I was trying my best not to space out. I paid attention to him and watched my manners. I’m getting good at this…

Yet…

I can’t help glancing at Tegoshi once in a while. He looks really awkward, eating that vanilla flavored cake of his…

But I’m trying my best to look at senpai.

“So, can you tell me a bit about your family, Horikita-san? Do you have any siblings?” He said when he finished his cake.

My…family…

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to talk about it with him…

I fidgeted a little before speaking. “Um…well…My mom and dad were divorced…” He looked concerned. “Oh…um…sorry about that…” I shook my head. “No, its okay, well…They sometimes fight. But…I like my dad. He had a lot of good ideas, and he always had a lot of idealistic dreams, but I guess my mom wasn’t very idealistic at all.”

Senpai nodded. He looked very attentive. I continued. “My mom remarried a few months ago, though…”

He brightened up. “I see. That’s a good thing. Is your new dad good, too?”

I made a sour face. “Um…fine. He’s boring if you’d ask me.” Then I muttered under my breath. “…He’s too serious.”

“Ahaha.” He smiled. “Maybe you’re not used to him yet. I’m sure you’ll get along with him fine.”

Hah, yeah right. I can’t even find him in my radar…

“Yosh…” Koike-senpai stood up. Aww…I  guess it’s time to go home. I glanced at my watch. 7:12. Ugh…I don’t want to go home yet! It’s too early! And I told my stepdad that I’d be back by 8:30…I wish I could spend more time with senpai but maybe he’s already tired…

I was thinking these thoughts when I suddenly I saw a hand right in front of my face.

Eh…?

“Let’s go?”

I thought senpai only wanted to go to this cake shop? Don’t tell me…he had other places he wanted to go to…? With me…?

I took his hand absentmindedly. This is the happiest part of my day…

“H-Hai…”

He held my hand and led me throughout the cake shop. I was looking at him when suddenly I remembered someone else.

Tegoshi.

I glanced at him.

He was still looking at us, with a creased newspaper in his hand. I was confused most of all…because his expression was that of a shock. Sometimes I can’t understand him.

I can’t understand him at all.

Before I realized it, I couldn’t see him anymore and I was already out in the city, with senpai’s hand holding mine, looking at the bright lights.

The street looked weird…because most of the time, it was filled with people, busy ones, and cars were speeding away, but tonight…

It’s almost empty. We were both standing under a street light, his back at me, and me, looking at him, confused by the chain of events that’s already happening before my eyes. And I’m flooded with questions right now.

Why did he drag me out of the cake shop? And I didn't expect him to bring me here, either. Why did he bring me here, of all places? Why did he hold my hand?

Why did Tegoshi  look at me with those eyes full of questions that were ready to shoot at me?

Why do I have a feeling…something special is going to happen tonight?

I looked at him, he was panting, because we almost ran. Then he let go of my hand and faced me. “Horikita…n-no…M-Maki-san…”

My heart leaped. He just called me by my given name! I lowered my head a little and placed my left hand on my chest to calm myself down. “Y-Yes?”

He inhaled and exhaled. “I…I’ve been watching over you for the last two years…”

I looked at him, shocked at what he said. “Eh?” I can’t believe he said that! Does that mean…he likes me too? But I can’t be too sure yet…he needs to say it for himself.

“M-Maki-san…will you…”

Is he going to ask me to be his girlfriend?!

“Maki-san I—“

“OH! Maki-chan is that you?! I knew it was you!”

Senpai and I jumped. The moment was disturbed. We both turned around.

HUH?!

What is he…

T-TEGOSHI?!