Chapter 16

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

He was holding a can of coffee. “U-Um…I’m glad you came.”

Before I knew it, I dropped Claire to the ground and I was already burying my face into his jacket. He was probably surprised, but he slowly wrapped his arms around me. “You waited for me…?”

He laughed. “Well I did say I was going to be here…” We both let go from our embrace. I noticed another can of coffee in his jacket’s pocket. “Why are there two…?”

“Well…I bought another one just in case you take long to come here. It’s cold after all…but then again, I wasn’t even sure you were going to come. The vending machine was too far, it’s a pain to walk back and forth.”

I laughed. “You were planning to wait that long…”

“What happened with Koike-san…?”

I smiled. “He told me to come here.” His eyes widened. “He what?! He reject—“

He stopped and bowed his head. “I thought…”

“At first I was sad…but when I came here…I felt relieved he did that.”

He looked up. “Maki…”

“So Tegoshi…why did you tell me to come here?” He looked at another direction. “Sayu…wanted to get back together with me.” “Do you still like her?” “…I realized something else.”

“Same here.”

…Before I knew it, we were both red in the face. “A-A-Ah…! Well…! It’s just that you were always there and…I realized how stupid I was and…uh…!” “You’re not stupid Maki! I’m the r-reason you were confused! It was actually…um…I was just…I shouldn’t have interfered in the first place!”

I held his hands. “Tegoshi…If you didn’t do that…I wouldn’t have been able to realize…that you were there the whole time…”

He looked at me. “Maki…I’m glad I made the right choice this time.” “Eh…?”

Tears started to fall down his face. “I…look so un-cool right now.” “Baka.”

Time froze when we sealed our lips together. It’s as if every misunderstanding faded away.

Sometimes it really takes a while…

…to notice someone who’s always there for you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~

“And that’s what happened.”

My mom and dad laughed. We were really having a good time looking at the ocean while eating the cake from the cake shop.

“Oh, hey, it’s time to go. Let’s go home. It’s nearly 7.” Dad looked at his watch. “Okay. Let’s pack up.” I placed Claire back in my bag and we rode our car.

Moments later, we were back at our house. Mom was upstairs fixing something; I was left with my stepdad downstairs.

“Maki-san…?” “Yes?” “Thank you.”

I hugged him. “It was my fault. I’m really sorry Ryu-san.” “No it’s okay. It’s not that easy to move on. But I’m happy…you gave me a chance.”

I nodded. “…Oh! I forgot! I need to go somewhere! O-Otou-san, can you tell mom I’ll be back later?” “What? Um, sure. Just take care of yourself okay? And don’t stay out so late.” “Will do! Thank you!”

I grabbed my jacket and ran outside.

I passed by the convenience store…and saw senpai. “K-Koike-senpai…” “Horikita-san…how are you?”

I felt slightly awkward, but I tried my best to brush off the feeling. “I’m…doing okay. How about you…?”

“Everything’s fine. Nothing much is happening.” “Ne senpai…I’m sorry.” “What? No it’s okay.” He smiled. “I would be the worst if I held you back.” “…Don’t worry senpai. I’m sure…you’ll find her.” “I hope so. So I’ll see you around, I guess?” “Yeah.”

“Maki~~~!!!”

We both looked to our right. “Yui-chan!” “Maki! I bought meat buns! Want some?” Then she saw senpai. “Oh! Koike-senpai! G-Good evening!” “Hello Horie-san.”

I looked at my watch. “Ah! I’m sorry! I have to go…” Yui looked nervous. “But M-Maki-chan…”

Senpai looked at me. “Don’t worry Horikita-san, I’ll be sure to take her home.” Yui’s eyes widened. “E-EHHH?”

I waved at them. “Thank you senpai! I’ll see you guys! Ja!”

I ran, hearing Yui’s tiny girl squeals.  I smiled to myself.

I got to the park. “Agh…so tired…”

“Oh, you’re late.”

I panted, and looked up at him. “S-Sorry…I ran into senpai and Yui on the way…” “Haha, you look tired.” “Of course I am, I ran the whole time.” “Hehe, you ran for me.” “Baka.”

We sat down on a bench. He took out 2 cans of coffee from the pocket of his jacket. He held one and placed it against my cheek. “Here. Drink up.” “So warm.”

I opened my can and took a sip. Then he held my free hand. “Maki, it’s starting.”

I looked up at the sky. “Wow…”

Meteor shower.

The sky looked amazing.

“This is awesome.” Tegoshi said, drinking from his can but still not letting go of my hand. “Maki…?”

“Yeah…?” His hand was warm.

“Well in these kind of situations, you probably know what I’m about to say.” “What?” “Usually you say ‘I love you’ right?”

I blushed and nodded.

But instead of telling me those three words, he planted a kiss on my forehead and held me close. I smiled.

“I love you too.”

 

 

 

-End-