Chapter 3

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“No. I’m too busy.” “But Maki, just this once, you, me and your father haven’t gone somewhere fun in a while.”

I couldn’t look at her. If I will, I might give in. “Sorry mom, I said I’m busy.” “With what Maki?” “Homework.” “What homework? Your school is still going to be in a week Maki, stop making excuses!”

“Kaa-san, I’m tired. Oyasumi.” I hurried up the stairs. I really didn’t want to see her reaction. I could still hear her calling me. I locked the door behind me and threw my body onto my bed. Shimatta…I almost bursted out again…

Tap tap tap!!!

I sat up quickly. “Wh-who is it?” I stood up and rubbed my eyes. No response. It’s just your imagination Maki, this is what you get for watching too many horror movies. Now they’re getting into your reality. Wake up would you?

Tap tap tap!!!!!

“Okay that’s it! Who is it?!” I turned to the cabinet. I opened the door. Nothing, it’s just clothes. What could possibly be in there? I turned to the window. “…” I drew the curtain to one side.

“Tegoshi. I’m going to kill you.”

He waved at me and gave me that big grin of his. He was sitting on a tree that reached to my window. He knocked once more. I signaled him fine fine. I opened the window. He literally jumped in. “What do you want?” I asked him as he sat on my bed.

“Nothing. Just wanna hang out.” He took off his shoes. I furrowed my eyebrows. “Huh? A-And what are you doing? It’s as if you’re going to sleep on my bed.” He gave me a pout. “Hey, it’s uncomfortable with shoes on you know. And I’m not going to sleep on a bed like this, it’s girly. Anyways…How are you?”

I sat on a chair in front of my computer. “Nothing new. Same old me.” He folded his arms. “Really? That’s good then…So did you do your homework?” I shook my head. “I won’t be able to change my attitude that fast you know.”

He stood up and sat on another chair in front of me. “I didn’t say change. You’re fine the way you are, because you’re you. And that’s the Maki-chan I know.”

He patted me on the head. He didn’t remove his hand. I didn’t say anything and kept my head low.

Doki…

Then he said “Baka Maki-chan.” And a laugh followed. “Did you get what I mean? I meant just practice and improve it, not completely change it. For example, girls that are simple yet pretty which is who they are and then suddenly turning into a flirty, stupid, annoying—“

I stared at him for a moment. Then he stopped. “G-Gomen…” “No it’s fine…Because I know why.” He flashed me another gentle, caring smile. “Arigato.”

Doki doki…

His smile seems more cheerful and carefree this time…and more sincere…

He clasped his hands together. “So…would you like to proceed to the next lesson?” I snapped out of my deep thoughts. “Uh…sure?” He took out his phone. “Okay…” I took a sneak peek, but he covered it. “Chotto…I can’t seem to find it…Ah! Here.”

He held his phone out to me. I took it and saw a picture of—

“Kyaaaa!!! Kakkoi!!! Oh my just…He’s face is so cute and his hair looks so—“

He quickly swiped the phone out of my hand. “You failed…again.” He glowered. Yes. It was a picture of who else? Koike-senpai…

“That was also a test. You should seriously learn to contain yourself. If the real thing shows up, what would you do? Roll on the floor? You told me that you have never spoken to him right? Well…at least not a long conversation…”

I stood up and protested. “Oh yes I do! I know how to restrain myself!” He shot me a defiant stare. “Then what was with that reaction earlier?”

I quickly sat down. I looked like a child that lost her toy for a moment. Shimatta…

“Well…I haven’t seen him in a long time and…well you know…” He patted my shoulder. “Then learn to talk calmly and sensibly. Okay why don’t we do this…”

He stood up and sat on my bed. “Let’s pretend I’m Koike-senpai and then we had an actual conversation.” He looked at me with a teasing smile.

“You’re mocking me.” “Nope. I’m just going to see how you will react and how you will talk. This is your next test, you know.”