Chapter 8

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“WAAH!”

I messed up my lipstick. Good thing it’s still 4 o’clock. We would meet up at 5:30 near the station. God, I’m so nervous…

“UGH!!! Claire, stay in my bag, okay?! In that way, I’ll feel calm…” I gave out a heavy sigh and placed her in my bag. I fixed my make-up and picked a nice pastel colored one piece and wore dark colored short jeans underneath. Since I have short hair, I just pinned my bangs to one side using a yellow hairclip. I picked my favorite doll shoes and I just used my small body bag. Good thing the bag was big enough for Claire and a small handkerchief.

“There…all set. I’m good to go. Oh! I have to meet up with Tegoshi first…then we’ll go to the station together.”

I went downstairs, then…I ran into my stepfather.

“Oh, Ryu-san, I’m going out with a friend of mine. Please tell mom I’m going to the new cake shop near the station and she doesn’t have to worry. Thanks.”

I walked passed him. Then he spoke, “Uh, Maki-chan, would you like to go with us next week to the seaside? We’re going to have a picnic.”

“Um…no thanks, we’ve got a project next week…I’ll be pretty busy. Sorry, can’t go.”

I opened the door. “Ittekimasu.”

“Maki…please?”

No matter how hard he tries…he’ll never replace my father.

“Please…?”

“I’ll be home by 8:30.”

I closed the door behind me when suddenly…

“Wow Maki…”

I looked to my left. Tegoshi was standing with his jaw dropping to the ground. I held my bag tighter. “H-Hey…stop looking at me like that.”

Then he look startled. “Uh…g-gomen, gomen…it’s just…” He placed his hand on the back of his neck in a shy way again like he always does and stares in another direction. “You look…um you know…s-sorry…I don’t really know how to compliment a girl when she’s…”

“Then just say what you think is right.” I tried to say without stuttering. The truth is, my heart is pounding hard right now. I don’t even know why.

“You’re right…okay…your outfit is cute but…you’re still you and…you look beautiful. I guess you’re ready for your date.”

“A-Arigato…”

Those words seemed to weigh a lot, because after a few minutes, we both couldn’t look at each other. So, to break the awkward silence, he held out his hand. “Let’s go, Maki?” I responded with a nod and took his hand.

~~~

By 5:25, we reached the station. Tegoshi and I could already see Koike-senpai in the distance. “He’s already here? Wow…I wonder how long he was waiting.” I said, feeling slightly embarrassed for making senpai wait.

“Well, guys don’t like making girls wait.” Tegoshi said. “Go ahead and be yourself. I’ll be in the distance.  Just don’t eat too much cake, okay? You’ll get fat.” He teased me and pinched my cheeks. “Hey, careful! My blush on is going to fade! And that hurts BAKA!”

He laughed and gave me a pat in the back. “Good luck, Maki.” Then he walked away.

He hid behind a post about 5 yards away. “…” Wow, nice hiding place, idiot. I could totally not see you from where you’re hiding.

I gave out a sigh, mumbled ‘never mind’ under my breath and walked slowly towards Koike-senpai. I waved at him. “Senpai! Konnichiwa…did you wait long?”

He stood up and smiled at me with those cute dimples. “Konnichiwa, Horikita-san. No, I just got here. Shall we go?”

I blushed, because until now, I can’t believe that I’m actually together with senpai, and we’re going to a cake shop. “U-Uh…s-sure!”

*GIGGLE*

Senpai looked towards another direction, hearing the giggling sound as well. Wow, I thought we were alone…Tegoshi…you’re too loud!!!

“Um! Let’s go the cake shop you’re talking about!”

Then he looked at me and smiled, as I tried to distract him from noticing the giggle any further. “Oh, okay.”

I’m going to take this chance and make him like me!!! Tegoshi’s hard work is not going to go to waste!