Chapter 10

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“I saw you in the cake shop earlier, you know, but I wasn’t sure if it was really you…so now that I’m certain…haha…”

Koike-senpai and I stood there in silence, but I’m the one who is mostly shocked.

Why did he do that?!

I thought he wasn’t supposed to show up?!

Koike-senpai was about to say something…something obviously important and special…

…but why did he do that?!

Senpai lowered his head. “Um…Ma—I mean…Horikita-san…is he a friend of yours?”

Senpai calling me again by my Surname hurt. It hurts.

I nodded, then we were both silent again. Tegoshi looked stunned. “Oh…um…did I disturb you guys, or something? I didn’t—“

I glared at him. He returned me with an apologetic gaze, but Koike-senpai didn’t see the look we had between us.

What is with those eyes?

Instead, senpai smiled. “Um…no…of course. We were just talking about how great the cake was in that cake shop we just went to.”

Tegoshi gave an obviously fake smile. “Oh! Good…”

Silence fell between the three of us. Suddenly, Tegoshi spoke again. “Ne, Maki, what time was your curfew?”

Idiot, did he really need to say that?!

Senpai looked troubled. “H-Horikita-san, you had curfew?” I looked at him and shook my head. “Not exactly…I just told my parents that I’d be home by 8 or so…”

For a second, he looked relieved. “Oh, I see. Then, would you like me to—“

“I’ll take you home, Maki! It’s 7:45 you know. My house isn’t very far from yours anyway…” Tegoshi took my hand.

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks and looked at Koike-senpai. He was looking at the street. He seems to be bothered. Tegoshi what has gotten into you?!

“Oh, if that’s okay with her then. Please take her home safely.” He said, returning his attention to us. I smiled, sadly. “Oh…um…” I just nodded softly.

“But Horikita-san, if you want to hang out again, you can call me, okay? I’ll see you tomorrow at school.”

I brightened up a little, happy with the fact that he’s giving hints that he wants to see me again. “Sure! See you tomo—“

“See you Koike-san! We have to take the train soon! Ja!” Tegoshi cut me in the middle of my sentence and pulled me away.

All the way he held my hand. He pulled me, it even started to hurt. I’m angry at him for all the confusing things he has done. “Tegoshi, let go, I can walk on my own.”

He didn’t look at me. We boarded the train, but he still didn’t let go of my hand. I looked at it. It was turning slightly reddish. We stood up because the train was loaded.

“Why did you do that?”

He still said nothing, as if he’s mouth was zippered and kept on looking out the window, still holding my hand.

His hand was warm, but his grip was hurting me.

We got off the train and headed to my house, with him leading the way. He still wasn’t looking at me, and he kept dragging me on.

“Tegoshi…Tegoshi…”

Still no response. I started to cry.

“Stop it, it hurts!!!”

Then he stopped walking. He turned around and saw my face full of tears. He let go of my hand. “M-Maki..I…”

I wiped my face with the sleeve of my jacket.

“IDIOT! Why did you ruin my chance?! It was quite obvious that he was about to ask me to be his girlfriend, right? Why did you have to interfere?! I thought you were supporting me! Baka Tegoshi! BAKA!!!”

Then I slapped him. I didn’t even think. It happened so fast that I was shocked myself. I held my hand. “Tegoshi…I…”

His eyes widened and he slowly placed his hand on his cheek. “…That’s it…”

“I…I’m sorry…”

“Maki,” he said, like he didn’t even noticed that I apologized. “… maybe I was insecure.”

 “What?”

That was all I could say.

He smiled ruefully. “Maki, it would be stupid of me if I just brushed off the feeling, ignoring it as if it wasn’t really how I felt. At first, I didn’t want to believe it, but seeing Koike-san holding your hand in that cake shop…it hurts, you know? And…I’ve been in a relationship before…so I know what that feeling that washed over me was.”

He smiled and shook his head. “It…annoyed me.”

I didn’t know what to say. The way we’re talking now…reminded me of Sayu-san, his ex-girlfriend.

Maybe when he saw me and Koike-senpai, he was really hurt…because it reminded him of her.

It reminded him of the fun times they spent together…

…and the time that their relationship went downhill.

“Tegoshi…” I looked at the ground. “…gomen. I’m…I’m sorry…”

 “No…I…it’s my fault, for feeling like that. I should’ve have just…left the two of you alone.”

Maybe he was just insecure. Maybe it wasn’t jealousy after all. He was insecure because…he wanted to experience what it feels like to be with someone special again.

But maybe…

All of this…is my fault.

“N-Ne…Tegoshi…”

He looked at me.

“…let’s stop the training.”