Chapter 2

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“Oh, you’re late.”

I went to the park the next day to meet up with Tegoshi. He said we’ll begin our ‘lesson’. I looked at him sarcastically. “Oh, gomenasai SENSEI. Happy?” He stood up and left the bench he was sitting on and poked me on the forehead. “Don’t speak to me like that or else I’ll leave you here and I’ll never teach you.” He said with a threatening voice. I don’t care if he does that but I really need his help this time.

“Fine, fine…so where do we start?” I sat down. He looked at me. “What do you mean?”

“I’m serious.” He held his hands up. “No need to be so grouchy, that was a part of the test.”

I froze. “I-It is?” He walked around. “Of course it is! If you’re going to be friends with this guy, you have to be in a good mood or else you’ll ruin the chance. That’s a part of our first lesson.” I listened intently. Then he stopped. “Now…bring me a can of coffee.”

I snapped. “What the heck?! Now you’re going to make me a servant?! What do I do next, clean your shoes for y—“

He glared at me. “Watch your temper Maki-chan.”

I cooled down. “Ok, ok.” I stood up and walked stiffly towards the vending machine. I pressed coffee and out it came. Is this guy really trying to help me or is he just looking for some fun? It’s as if he’s just wondering how it feels like to have a dog.

I walked back to where he was. He was texting someone on his cellphone. “Tegoshi?” He put his red phone away and looked up. “Oh you got the coffee? Good job.” He patted me on the head. I guess he already did find a dog.

And it’s me.

“Now what’s next? Are you gonna give me a name or something?” I shot at him.

He shook his head. “Nope. Sit down.” He patted the empty spot beside him. I sat there obediently. I looked away. “This is your stupidest plan yet.”

He laughed. “Really? Well, I’m just trying to help you know. Honto.” He opened the can of coffee. “You want some?” “No thanks.” He took a few sips. “Ne…”

I turned to him. “What?” “So…what do you like about him? Koike-san that is…”

I shrugged. “He’s cute isn’t he? He plays sports, he’s in the student council last year, he helps teachers most of the time…he’s a gentleman I guess.” He looked at me and smiled. “You know, I’m kinda happy for you.” I looked at him in disbelief. “Really…?” He nodded. “Well…I want everything to go well for you. You know, because of everything else that has been stressing you out lately, like the divorce with your mom and dad. So…yeah.”

I smiled at him. “Ah…y-yeah…”

He stood up. “Well, the tutoring is not over yet. Haha. But that’s it for today. Remember, the mood is important.”

“Tegoshi, arigato.”

He laughed dryly. “There’s no need for that you know.” “No really…I’m happy you’re supporting me. I really have a lot of things to work on…I don’t even know if I can get to be friends with him. So…I’m seriously grateful.” I bowed.

He patted my shoulder. “And I’m telling you there’s really no need for that. Hey, for your homework…” “Homework?!” He laughed. “Yeah. Improve your behavior.”

I punched his arm and smiled. “Baka!” He smiled back and slowly walked away. I turned to the vending machine. Maybe a coffee would do…

“Maki! Your grade for today is a B-!”

He shouted. So openly too. A few people were staring at him already. Baka. Then he smiled and waved goodbye.

I stared at him for a minute. His back getting smaller and smaller by the second. “…Claire.”

Okay, I know this is pretty weird, grabbing Claire out of my bag in the middle of the park…

Well, this habit of mine started when I was a kid and…I don’t remember why. I’ve been trying to remember so many times, but the answer doesn’t seem to come.

Anyways…

“He’s starting to creep me out. But he was pretty helpful. I’m glad we’re friends. Anyways, school’s coming soon. I gotta practice some more, don’t you think?”