Chapter 11

Experience? I Don't Have Any...

 

“Wait, what?”

Tegoshi stared at me in dismay. “What do you mean stop the training?”

“What I meant is...you don’t have to help me with Koike-senpai anymore.”

“Why? Don’t you want my help?” He looked quite confused. I shook my head. “It’s not that…”

I looked away for a second. “I think…because of what we’re doing…you get hurt when you remember Sayu-san.”

Then his face full of confusion shifted to one with an annoyed look. He slapped the air. “It’s…It’s not that.” He shut his eyes. “Maki, this isn’t about her, or me. It’s about helping you get together with senpai. Just, don’t mind me. I want to help you, and I am trying to!”

“Then why did you do THAT?!”

“I…”

We both froze. He looked at me like he didn’t know what to do anymore.

Yes, we’re arguing.

I don’t want this.

I tried my best to put on my best smile.

“Tegoshi, thanks for everything.”

When I said that, he looked at the ground. This is for the best. Everything going back to the way it is.

I think.

“I…gotta go.”

I turned around and walked away, towards my house, not looking back, afraid that I might change my mind the moment I do so.

I arrived at my house a few seconds later. My mom greeted me. “Okaeri, Maki.” “Tadaima.” I said, as I took off my shoes. Then, my stepdad came from upstairs. “Maki, okaeri.”

I just nodded and looked at him for a brief moment then spoke to my mom. “Kaa-chan, the cake from the new cake shop near the station was really good! Sorry…I forgot to bring home some, cuz…um…I suddenly had to leave the shop when my friend had to go home. Gomen! I’ll bring some home next time!”

My mom smiled tenderly. “Oh? I’ve got a good idea. When we go to the seaside next week, why don’t we buy some cake from that shop then?”

I froze. I don’t want to go.

“Ne, Maki?” Mom smiled at me with eyes that were ready to question me. Then my stepdad added, “Will you, Maki-chan?”

“Please Maki?”

“Good night.”

I just said that and went upstairs to my room. The day started out great…

…but it ended in an exactly opposite way.