The Personal Assistant.

Keeping the Dream alive.

 

The next morning I woke up early even though I couldn't sleep last night. Haeri's words were still haunting me. I sighed and stood up.

When I finished getting dressed, I grabbed my newly bought bag after my other bag was stolen at the airport. Halmeoni allowed me to keep the tip I received from the costumers while working at the café, so I had enough money to live on my own. I carried my luggage out of my room. Outside, Mr. Choi, the cab driver, was already waiting for me. He was an old friend of Halmeoni and she told me that I could trust him. Mr. Choi took my luggage and carried it to the car, while I still lingered in the house. Then I went into the kitchen. Halmeoni was sitting at the counter, drinking tea. I sat down next to her.

Hello, Halmeoni.”, I said and smiled.

She smiled back at me. “Hello, child. Ready to go?”

Yes. Mr. Choi just put my luggage into the car. I wanted to say goodbye.”

She put a hand on my arm. “Goodbye, child. Take good care of yourself.”

Thank you, Halmeoni.” I hesitated. “Uhm...do you know where...Haeri is?”

She was here with me a couple minutes ago. Maybe she's in her room now.”

I see. Could you tell her that I said goodbye?”

Of course.”

I stood up. “Okay. I should hurry, they are waiting for me.” I took several steps towards the door. “Thank you for everything, Halmeoni.”

You're welcome, child.”

I took a deep breath and stepped out of the house. Haeri was standing right in front of me, her arms folded.

Leaving already?”, she asked, an unreadable expression on her face.

Yeah.”

Without saying goodbye?”

I just said goodbye to Halmeoni. I wanted to say goodbye to you, too. But Halmeoni said that you were in your room and I didn't want to disturb you, so....”

She arched an eye brow at me. “So you just wanted to leave without saying goodbye? Huh.”

Uhm...well then...goodbye, Haeri...”, I said awkwardly.

Hm, goodbye. Whatever.”, she said and passed me to enter the house.

Like I said, this girl had issues.

 

Mr. Choi drove me to the company. He promised to wait for me while I would be talking to the staff manager. Taking a deep breath, I entered the office. A tall man was standing in the foyer. He introduced himself as Mr. Kim, the staff manager.

Ms. Vuong, right? Nice to meet you. We need to hurry, please follow me.”, he said and rushed outside.

Huh?

Confused, I followed him. When we stood outside, he told me that he would drive me to my work place to sign the contract and that Mr. Choi should follow us. After half an hour we arrived at a high building. We entered the building while Mr. Choi was still waiting outside. When we arrived on the 12th floor, the Mr. Kim opened the door to a flat.

Uh oh....was it a mistake to follow a stranger?

He entered the apartment and motioned me to follow him. I took a deep breath and entered the apartment, too. The first things I saw were a high amount of shoes on the floor. It wouldn't have surprised if it were woman shoes...but all of these shoes were man shoes. Who the heck had so many shoes? Did all these shoes belong to one person? Maybe the staff manager? But he didn't look like he would wear this kind of shoes. He was the kind of man who would wear expensive suits and polished leather shoes.

Hm, maybe I could solve this mystery later on.

Mr. Kim went to what seems to be the living room. He sat down on the couch and put a folder on the table. While he was still sorting the papers, I looked around. There was only one word to describe this apartment: messy. Clothes were spread throughout the room and undefinable stuff was lying on the floor. Gross.

Ms. Vuong?”

I turned my attention on Mr. Kim. “Yes?”

Here's the contract. Please read it.”, he said and handed my the folder.

I quickly read through the papers. “Where do I have to sign?”

Right here.”

I signed the contract and handed him the folder.

He gave me a copy. “Now I want to explain the task. As the personal assistant you have to do the task given by the manager. Your tasks include cleaning the house, cooking food, waking up the boys and other special tasks given by the manager.”

What the heck? This sounded more like a maid than a personal assistant.

Wait..am I a maid? That's not what was written on the flyer.”, I said.

You're not a 'maid'. You're gonna be a personal assistant. You're assisting them personally. Do have additional questions?”

No.”

Good. The manager will arrive in a while to give you further instructions. Here's his number. For now your only task is to clean the apartment.”

I understand.”

I'll tell Mr. Choi to bring up your luggage. You'll reside in this apartment.”

I will what?”

You'll reside here.”

But...but I can't possibly-”

You can only fulfill your tasks properly if you're are always available. This is the best solution.”, he interrupted me.

I see...”

Good. I'll be going now. Goodbye, Ms. Vuong.”, he said and left the apartment.

Minutes later Mr. Choi arrived with my luggage. I thanked him and gave him his pay. When he left, I sat down on the couch.

What the heck was going on? What was this stupid talk about being a 'personal assistant'? I was going to be a maid, or rather a slave! Cleaning the house? Cooking the food? I bet I also would have to rub the back of my 'masters'. Gross.

Wait.

Mr. Kim said something about a manager. Did that mean my 'chefs' were celebrities? But which celebrity had such a messy apartment? And by the amount and kind of shoes, I guess it were several male celebrities. Maybe Idols?

That would be awesome!

Well then, I had to start working. I could only find out who I would be working for if I could keep my job long enough to meet my 'chefs'. When I looked around again, I couldn't suppressed a sigh. That was going to be a difficult task.

But hey, no pain, no gain.

 

I finished cleaning the house several hours later. I was mentally and physically exhausted, that was why I slumped down on the couch.

Ah...taking a nap would be nice right now.

My eyes kept closing and just when it seems as if I would lose the fight against the tiredness, I suddenly heard noises coming from the door. I jumped up abruptly and stared at the door.

Uh oh...seemed like my 'chefs' were coming home.

The door finally opened and the voices of several men drifted into the living room. I was alone in a apartment with only men. Talking about being in a risky situation. I watched the door to the living room, waiting for those people to arrive.

My heart was beating like crazy.

Finally the first person entered the living room. I couldn't suppressed an astonished cry.

Oh my gosh.

Who are you?”, the person asked, suspicion written all over his face.

Uhm..I..”

The next person entered the room. He was as surprised as the other person. “What's going on here?”, he asked.

I don't know. Is she a sasaeng...?”

Let's call the security and Sehun Hyung.”

What? WAIT!”, I shouted.

They paused, staring at me.

I took a deep breath. “I'm...I'm not a sasaeng...I'm your new personal assistant.”

Our what? Nobody told us that we would get a new 'personal assistant', so stop lying.”

Now the rest of the members joined us. Great.

Who is she?”

I don't know. She claims to be our new 'personal assistant',”

Lame excuse. Did you call Sehun Hyung yet?”

Just wanted to do it.”

The door opened and another person joined us.

What are you guys doing here?”, he asked them.

We have a guest, Hyung.”

The person whom they referred to as 'Hyung' was staring at me now.

And who are you?”, he asked me.

Vinni...Vinni Vuong. The new personal assistant.”, I said.

There she goes again.”, one of them mumbled.

Be quiet.”, the 'Hyung' guy said. “She's telling the truth.”

What?”, they said unison.

Welcome to our team, Ms. Vuong. My name is Sehun, I'm the manager.”, he said.

Thank you, Sehun-ssi. And please call me Vinni.”

Of course..” He turned to the other guys. “May I introduce you your new personal assistant Vinni Vuong? She'll work for us from now on. And she'll be living here.”

What?”, one of them asked.

Go to sleep, guys. You all have to wake up early tomorrow.”, Sehun said and went out of the room.

When I turned back to them, I noticed that they were staring at me.

Uhm...do I have something on my face?”, I asked.

So you're our new personal assistant, huh?”, one of them asked.

Yes, just what I told you earlier when you accused me of being a sasaeng.”

So you're not a sasaeng?”

I think we've already established this, don't you think? May I get to know your names?”, I asked even though I already knew who they were.

I'm Yoon Doojoon. This is Jang Hyunseung, Yong Junhyung, Yang Yoseob, Lee Kikwang and Son Dongwoon.”

Yes. Right now I was standing in front of one of the reasons I came to Korea. I may seemed calm but my heart was still beating like crazy.

Nice to meet you. I'm Vinni Vuong but just call me Vinni, please.”

Nice to meet you too, Vinni.”, Doojoon said.

I tried hard not to stare at Junhyung.

Wow, you sure did a good job. Our apartment was never this tidy.”, Dongwoon said in awe.

You guys should tidy up your apartment once in a while. It was really messy when I arrived.”, I told them.

Well, now we have you for this job, I guess.”, Junhyung said.

Don't stare at him. Don't stare at him. Don't stare at him.

Yeah, now you have me for this job. Speaking of which, you should go to bed now, it's late.”, I said.

She's right, guys. We have an early schedule tomorrow. Let's go to sleep now.”, Doojoon said and pushed them out of the living room.

He turned around and looked at me. “Thank you for cleaning this apartment. And good night.”, he said and followed the others.

I sighed and went out of the living room. The Manager was standing next to the door to my room.

We need to talk...alone.”, he said.

Confused, I opened the door and invited him into my room.

What's the matter, Sehun-ssi?”

Vinni-ssi, never forget, I have an eye on you. One wrong move and you'll be kicked.”

Pardon?”

I didn't mean to offend you but you have to understand that with the boys' rising popularity, it's hard to find good and trustworthy employees. I want to protect them, that's why I have to be careful.”

I understand.”

Good. Please prepare breakfast and wake up the boys at 5am.”

Yes, I understand.”

Ah, and don't unpack your luggage yet.”

What the heck?

Uhm, sure.”

Good night, Vinni-ssi.”, he said and left the room.

I let out an exhausted sigh and threw myself on the bed. My heart was still beating like crazy. Never did I imagine that I would work for BEAST, let alone living with them under a roof. It was like a dream coming true. They were so much more handsome in person. Especially Junhyung.

I would really enjoy my time in Korea.

The manager's behavior towards me was a bit unnerving but I could understand it somehow. It was possible for crazy fans to get this job and stalk after the boys. It was clever to be suspicious of every new employee. But was that also the reason why I shouldn't unpack my luggage yet? Because I was still on some kind of probation?

Well, then I had to continue doing a good job. It was worth it.

 

The alarm clock woke me up early in the morning. I stretched and climbed out of bed. Time to prepare breakfast, I guess.

Wait.....preparing breakfast...oh snap! That meant that I had to cook! I totally forgot it! But what could I possibly cook? I didn't know how to prepare Korean food. Ah, dang. Great. Just great. It was my first day as their personal assistant and I already couldn't fulfill one of the first tasks.

Well, then I had to make American Food. I didn't know if they would like it but it's still better than nothing.

After brushing my teeth and changing my clothes, I went into the kitchen. Looking at the clock, I saw that I still had one hour left before I had to wake them up. I took a look into the fridge when I entered the kitchen. There wasn't much in it but enough to prepare a breakfast. When I finished cooking, I braced myself for the next task. I would only wake them up. Nothing more.

Okay, time to go.

I took a deep breath and rushed out of the kitchen. Suddenly I slammed against something that was blocking the hall. I fell on my .

Ouch, that hurt.

You have eyes. Use them.”

I looked up to see Junhyung standing in front of me. Topless.

Oh my gosh.

Don't stare at him, Vinni. And don't blush.

Ah, seriously!

He bent down towards me. “Are you mute all of a sudden?”

But you could've avoided me.”, I said stubbornly.

It was hard to come up with a proper answer when he was standing in front of me. Especially when he was topless.

I stared at the floor to avoid staring at him.

Huh. You were the one slamming against me, so be more careful from now on.”, he said and passed me to walk into the bathroom.

Oh my gosh. I just saw a topless Junhyung.

Okay, he had some kind of attitude. But who didn't? I was a stranger after all.

My heart was still beating crazy when I went to the first door. I knocked and opened it slightly. Doojoon was standing next to Hyunseung's bed, trying to wake him up.

Uhm...good...good morning. I didn't want to disturb you but breakfast's ready.”, I stuttered.

He nodded. “Okay, thank you.”

I closed the door and sighed. Whew. Okay, on to the next one.

I knocked lightly. When no one answered, I opened the door. Kikwang had his back to me, rubbing his hair with a towel. Seems like he just came out of the shower. And he was topless.

Jeez, what was with these guys and walking around topless? Seriously!

I quickly covered my eyes with my hand. “Uhm, sorry, I didn't mean disturb you. I just came to tell you that breakfast is ready.”

I heard a quiet chuckle. “Thank you. It would be nice if you could knock next time.”, he said.

I did knock but there was no answer, so I thought that you were still sleeping.”

Oh, then seems like I didn't hear it. Thank you, I will come out in a moment.”

Okay.”, I said and closed the door.

Gosh, were they trying to kill me? I was trying to do a good job, fighting the urge to give in to my inner fangirl but being in situations like these wasn't helping me.

Well then, only one room left.

I knocked again. When there wasn't an answer, I covered my eyes with my hand and opened the door.

Uhm, hello?”, I asked.

No answer. Just loud breathing. Were they still sleeping?

I peeked through my fingers and saw Yoseob and Dongwoon both lying in their beds, still sleeping.

Okay, time to wake them up.

I approached Yoseob first. “Uhm, Yoseob-ssi? It's time to wake up.”

He didn't move.

I poked him slightly. “Yoseob-ssi! Please wake up!”

He stirred and slowly opened his eyes. When he saw me, he startled and sat up abruptly.

What...what's going on here?”, he asked sleepily.

I'm sorry but breakfast is ready.”, I said.

He nodded and climbed out of bed. Then he left the room.

One more to go.

I went to Dongwoon's bed. “Dongwoon-ssi?”

No answer.

I poked him. “Dongwoon-ssi?”

Still no answer.

I sighed. “DONGWOON-SSI! PLEASE WAKE UP!”, I shouted and shook him.

Uhm...five more minutes...”, he murmured.

Please wake up, it's time for breakfast.”

Breakfast....”, he murmured while sitting up sleepily. He rubbed his eyes and climbed out of bed, leaving the room. He didn't even notice me.

Weird guy.

I left the room and went into the kitchen. Doojoon, Junhyung and Hyunseung were already sitting at the dining table. Seems like the others were still in the bathroom.

I noticed that Doojoon, Junhyung and Hyunseung were giving the food weird looks. Uh oh.

Is something not right...?”, I asked.

Uhm...no, it's okay.”, Doojoon said and started eating.

Junhyung and Hyunseung were still staring at the food instead of eating it. Doojoon noticed my worried expression and nudged them. “Start eating! You need energy!”

They both started eating, even though I could see that they did it reluctantly. The other members came into the kitchen. They were also staring at their food but when they saw the others eating, they joined them.

It kinda hurt me. Was it because I was a bad cook or was it because they didn't like non-Korean food? I had no idea.

15 minutes later, the manager arrived. He was also eying the food but he didn't say anything.

Hurry, guys. We need to go.”, he said.

The boys finished eating in a hurry and rushed outside. The manager stayed back.

Next time cook Korean food, they aren't used to other food.”, he said.

I understand.”

Clean the apartment and prepare dinner for 1am.”, he ordered and left the apartment.

Totally exhausted, I slumped down on the chair. How was I supposed to cook Korean food? I needed help. And I also knew who could help me.

I quickly tidied the apartment and left the building. Outside I grabbed a cab and arrived at my destination half an hour later. I entered the building. I knew that it was empty at this time of the day.

Vinni!”, someone shouted and tackled me.

I nearly fell down. “Mihri! Stop it, you're suffocating me!”

She stopped hugging me. “I'm just glad to see you. Now tell me about your new job. How is it?”

I smiled. “It's okay.”

More details, please.”, she said and nudged me.

Hey, I'm gonna tell you everything later on.”, I said and laughed. “But first you need to tell me where Haeri is.”

In the kitchen, of course.”

I laughed. “Yeah, of course. Do you think she'll allow me to visit her?”

Try it.”, she said and winked.

I sighed and walk into the kitchen. Haeri was standing at the stove, cooking something.

Hi.”, I said.

Haeri turned around when she heard my voice. She glanced at me and then turned around again. Without saying anything, she continued cooking.

Yeah, nice to see you, too.”, I muttered.

What do you want?”, she asked without turning around.

I sighed. “A favor.”

She didn't answer.

Please teach me how to cook.”

Haeri paused.

Please, Haeri.”

She continued cooking. “You nearly fooled me. Not bad.”

I'm not joking. Please teach me how to cook.”

And why should I?”

Please, do it for me.”

No.”

Haeri, please-”

I said no.”

Then I'll ask Halmeoni.”

Haeri turned around abruptly. “You will NOT bother Halmeoni with this stupid request.”

She's much nicer than you, she'll definitely help me.”

Haeri clenched her fists. “Okay. OKAY. I'll help you. But don't bother Halmeoni, do you understand?”

I grinned. “Okay! Thank you!”

Haeri just rolled her eyes.

 

I was staying at the café until closing hour. Haeri gave me some ingredients for today's dinner. When it was half an hour past midnight, I started preparing dinner. I gave my best, so that the boys could enjoy a delicious meal. Just when I finished cooking, I heard noises coming from the door.

Welcome back.”, I said when they entered the apartment.

Good evening.”, Doojoon said, looking totally exhausted. They ALL looked tired and exhausted.

Dinner's ready.”, I informed them.

We will be there in a moment.”, Doojoon said and went into his room. The other members went into their rooms.

I went into the kitchen and finished preparing. Several minutes later, the boys entered the kitchen. They looked surprised when they saw the food.

Bon Appetit.”, I said and smiled.

I was satisfied when I saw them eating deliciously. I should thank Haeri later on. When the boys finished eating, they gave me a short 'thank you' and went to bed immediately. While I was cleaning the kitchen, the manager came in.

You did a good job today. Your tasks for tomorrow will be the same as today.”, he said.

I understand.”