First Steps in Korea

Keeping the Dream alive.

I took a deep breath.

Finally, after all these years, I could breathe the air in Korea. I have often read about the Incheon Airport in several Articles, but being here in Person was much more fascinating.

I picked up my luggage and put it onto a baggage cart. While pushing the cart to the exit, I moved slowly, so that I was able to look around.

I still couldn't realize it. I was in Korea now.

To be honest, there was also another reason why I wanted to go to Korea. Another wish of mine was to meet my biggest idol, just once in my life. I really hope that I would be able to meet him during my time in Korea.

Coincidence or not, suddenly I saw a big placard of BEAST in front of me. I was really breathing the same air as them. My eyes found Junhyung. Many people say that those boys look so much more handsome in person. Junhyung was already flawless on pictures, I wonder how he would look like in person.

After looking at the placard for several minutes, I turned around. I should hurry and find a place to stay before it would get dark. Then I noticed that my handbag was gone.

What the heck? I was sure that I've put it on my luggage. Did it fall down?

I quickly went back to the way I came from but there was no handbag.

Don't tell me my handbag has been stolen?!

Oh no.

I quickly went to the information to report my missing bag. The employee told me that they would look out for my bag. So all I could do now was to wait. I mentally kicked myself for being so stupid.

How would I be able to live in Korea without money?

I sighed. At least there was 'only' my money and cosmetics in my handbag. My passport, my mobile phone and all the other important documents were in my luggage. But without money, how could I pay for a place to stay? I could start working, but I still needed a place to sleep. I picked up my luggage and went out of the Airport. Sitting around and being depressive wouldn't get me out of my misery.

So, what to do now?

Maybe there would be a shop which could give me my pay beforehand.

After walking around for three hours and getting rejected by all shops, cafes etc., I sighed and sat down on a step of a staircase. My feet hurt and pulling around my luggage all day long was really strenuous.

I wanted this journey to be the first step into my independent life, it was supposed to be a happy experience but now it was nothing more than a nightmare. I had no money and no place to sleep.

I was homeless. All alone in a foreign country, with no one here to help me.

After the realization hit me, I teared up.

I felt so helpless. I buried my face into my hands, drowning myself in desperation.

I didn't know how much time had passed when I felt a warm hand on my shoulder.

What's the matter, dear?”, someone asked.

I looked up to see an old woman standing next to me. She gave me a warm smile.

I didn't know why but seeing such a warm expression made me tell her what had happened. Maybe I just wanted to clung onto the first person who held out a rescue rope to me. She listened quietly to what I had to say. Then she held out a hand.

Come with me. We will find a solution.”, she said.

I knew that it was a mistake to trust strangers. But I was so desperate, I couldn't help but put my trust into this old woman.

I gave her my hand and she pulled me up. She told me to follow her, so I gathered my luggage and walked behind her.

We walked around until the old woman stopped in front a café.

Come in.”, she said and opened the door.

I followed her. The cafe was small yet it was so comfortable. The old woman disappeared behind a door. After a while she returned with a young girl which was approximately my age. She didn't say anything, she was just standing there, looking at me. I felt really uncomfortable under her gaze.

The old woman nudged her. “Will you stop staring at our guest? Take her luggage into the guest room. Come on, start moving!”

The girl gave me a displeased look before disappearing behind the door with my luggage.

Don't mind her, she just needs time to get used to you.”, the old woman said.

I'm sorry but where did she take my luggage?”, I asked confusedly.

The old woman smiled. “To your room. I know it's not very extravagant but I think you'll like it.”

I startled. “My room?! But....no! I really don't want to be a burden to you. I'm sorry for stealing your time with my story but you don't have to do this for me. Maybe if I go out now, I could -”

Stop talking nonsense! You can stay here, I will take a rejection as an insult, do you understand?”, she interrupted me.

I hesitated. “I....uhm....yes, I understand. Thank you.”

You're welcome.”, she said and smiled. “Now let's prepare dinner, I'm starving!”

 

I helped her with the preparation of dinner. After a while, the girl joined us. She still didn't speak to me. The only thing I got from her were suspicious looks. I could totally understand her. After all, I was a stranger who was supposed to stay at her place all of a sudden. They didn't know me.

So I just smiled at her, which turned her suspicious look into a confused one.

During dinner, the old woman was trying to get to know me.

So, what's your name, young lady?”, she asked me.

My name's Vinni.”

Oh, a very extraordinary name. You aren't Korean, are you?”

No, I'm from Germany.”

Oh, from so far away? But your Korean's really good. Where did you learn it?”

I've been taking Korean classes for several years.”

She smiled. “Great! Ah, and by the way, my name's Mun Jihae, but you can call me 'Halmeoni'. This young lady beside me is my granddaughter, Mun Haeri. I think you both are the same age, you can be friends.”

No, thank you.”, Haeri muttered.

Haeri! Watch your language!”, her grandma scolded her.

I felt uncomfortable. “No, it's okay, I -”

I'm not hungry anymore. I'm going to my room.”, Haeri said and rushed away.

Halmeoni sighed. “Why does this kid always have to be so difficult?” Then she smiled at me. “I'm sorry, she just needs time, I'm sure.”

No, it's really okay. I don't want to force myself on you both. I'm really grateful that I can stay the night. I will move out immediately the next morning.”

Halmeoni gave me an aghast look. “No, you can stay here for the whole year.”

No, I really don't want -”

I told you earlier, I will take a rejection as an insult.”

I sighed. “Okay. Thank you, Halmeoni. You've saved me. I owe you.”

We will take about that later. Now finish your food or it'll get cold.”

 

When we finished dinner, I volunteered to wash the dishes.

Ah, nonsense! A guest shouldn't wash the dishes! Wait a moment.” She turned around. “HAERI!!! COME OUT!”

I cringed.

HAERI!!”, she shouted again.

I'm coming, Halmeoni! Stop shouting!”

Haeri rushed into the kitchen. I could hear the noises of dishes clashing against each other.

Halmeoni, I really want to help.”

Not yet, child.”

When Haeri finished, she joined us in the living room. She put three cups of tea and a plate with fruits on the table. Then she sat down next to Halmeoni and glared at me. Huh.

Okay, now that we are gathered again, let's talk.” She turned to Haeri. “Dear, Vinni's gonna stay with us....for this year.”

Haeri jumped up. “WHAT?! Halmeoni, we aren't a place for foreign asylum seekers!”

HAERI! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!”, Halmeoni shouted.

Haeri and me, we both flinched.

Halmeoni...”

Sit down! NOW!”

Reluctantly, Haeri sat down.

Now apologize to Vinni.”

What?”

You heard me. Do it. That's not a way to treat a guest.”

Haeri glared at me. “Sorry.”, she said through gritted teeth.

I felt very uncomfortable. “No problem.”, I said

Halmeoni sighed. “Vinni, you can take the guest room. Haeri will show you the way.”

I got another glare as an answer from Haeri.

Halmeoni, isn't there a way I could help you? I don't want to live on your costs and do nothing.”

No, you don't have to do anything, child.”

Halmeoni, please do me this favor and let me help you.”

She considered. “If you really want to help, then maybe I know a way for you to help us.”

Really? What can I do?”, I asked and smiled.

Just go to sleep today, I'll show you tomorrow.”

Huh?

Uh, okay.”, I said.

Halmeoni turned to Haeri. “Haeri, please show Vinni her room. And tomorrow you'll take her with you.”

What?! But -”

No but. Now go to sleep, you have to wake up early tomorrow.”, Halmeoni interrupted her.

Yes, I understand.”, Haeri said reluctantly.

Jeez, why did this girl hate me so much?

Haeri stood up and stomped out of the room. I quickly said 'Good night' to Halmeoni and followed her.

We stopped in front of a small room.

That's your room. Don't mess it up. And tomorrow we'll leave at 6:30am, so don't be late or I'll leave without you.”, she said and rushed away.

Huh.

I entered the room. There was nothing in this room except a bundle in the corner. Seems like it was my bed. I looked around and found my luggage. It was scattered on the floor.

Nice.

I sighed and picked up my luggage. After rolling out the blankets on the floor, I got ready to go to sleep. While lying down, I tried to ignore the hard floor. I would do anything to be in my comfy bed right now.

While thinking about my family and my home back in Germany, I fell asleep.

 

Noises from the kitchen woke me up the next morning. Still tired, I sat up slowly. A glance at my phone told me that it was 6:15am. I groaned and stood up. Gathering my stuff, I walked into the bathroom. 10 minutes later, totally tired and fully dressed, I walked into the kitchen.

Haeri didn't even glanced at me. “You're late.”

Yeah, good morning to you, too.”, I muttered.

She ignored my last sentence. “Pick up your bag, we have to go.”

But what's with breakfast? I'm starving.”

Those who are late don't get a breakfast.”, she said.

Are you kidding me?”

No. Now let's go.”, she said and passed me.

I sighed and followed her.

 

20 minutes later we arrived at a small building. “Jihae's Café” was written on a sign. Haeri opened the door and walked inside. When I followed her, I was awed by the interior. It was a simple café but the pretty furniture and the sunshine, which shone through the big windows and lit up the whole café, gave the café a beautiful note. Haeri stood behind the counter, preparing something.

I joined her. “What do I have to do?”

Do you have any experience in being a waitress?”

Uhm..kind of....”

Haeri sighed and threw a bundle to me. “Wear this. When Mihri arrives, she will tell you what you have to do.”

Uhm..okay. Ah, and where can I change clothes?”, I asked her.

Bathroom. Go through this door. The bathroom is the first room on the right. Now hurry!”

Thank you.”, I said and rushed to the bathroom.

When I finished changing my clothes, I walked out of the bathroom and went to the counter. Haeri was in the kitchen now. Another girl was standing behind the counter.

Uhm..hi.”, I said when I approached her.

She turned around. “Oh, hi! You must be Vinni, the new waitress, right? Haeri told me that I have to introduce you to your work. Well then, let's start!”

She quickly told me what I had to do before the first costumers entered the café.

Five guys came through the door and sat down at a table in the far corner.

Mihri nudged me. “Start moving! The costumers won't serve themselves.”

I nodded and went to the five guys while staring at my note pad.

Good....good morning. Do you want to order something?”, I asked hesitantly.

One of them chuckled.

I still didn't dare to look up.

Seems like Halmeoni found a new worker. What's your name?”, one of them asked.

Vinni.”

Vinni? A very extraordinary name. I never heard of such a name in Korea.”, another one said.

It's a Vietnamese name.”

Oh, you are from Vietnam?”

Why did they keep pestering me with questions? I felt really uncomfortable.

But the costumer is king. I had to be friendly.

I'm from Germany.”

Oh, really extraordinary! You speak Korean very well...for a non-Korean, I mean.”

Thank you.”

You know, if you keep staring at your notepad like that, you'll burn a hole into it with your gaze.”, one of them said and chuckled. The other guys joined him.

I sighed and looked up. “Would you please-”

I startled when I finally saw who was sitting in front of me.

Oh my gosh.

Excuse me, please.”, I said and rushed to the counter. Their laughter followed me.

What the heck are you doing?”, Haeri snapped when she peeked through the kitchen door.

But...but...but...but those guys....”, I stuttered.

What? What's with them? They are one of our regular costumers, don't you dare scare them away! Now move!”

She shoved me towards the guys again before I could say anything.

I sighed and stepped towards them.

I'm sorry. I'm still new to this job. So, uhm, may I take your orders?”, I asked.

Even though I kinda managed not to stutter, I couldn't stop my hands from trembling. Never ever did I imagine to meet them here. Not like this.

No problem, Vinni. Well then, you may take our orders now,”, SHINee's Minho said.