Haeri's Anguish.

Keeping the Dream alive.

 

Vinni, we need more coffee!”, Junho shouted.

I'll be there in a second!”

Could you bring us more pancakes, Vinni?”, Onew shouted.

Okay, got it!”

May I get your telephone number, Vinni?”, Minho shouted.

Nice try!”, I retorted.

Everyone laughed.

I smiled and returned to the counter when Halmeoni entered the café.

Halmeoni! Good morning! What are you doing here?”, I asked.

I just wanted to visit you girls.”

Hello Halmeoni!”, Mihri shouted.

Hello Mihri dear!”, Halmeoni answered.

How are you, Halmeoni? I haven't seen you in a while! Still breaking men's hearts?”

Halmeoni laughed. “I see, you're still as hilarious as before.”

That's one of my appeals.”, Mihri said and winked.

Halmeoni, shall I bring you something?”, I asked her.

No, it's okay, child. I just wanted to give you something.”

What do you mean?”, I asked her confusedly.

Here, take it, child.”, she said and handed me an envelope.

Is...is this...is this..”, I stuttered.

She put a hand on my shoulder. “You'll never know if you don't open it.”

Vinni, what's this envelope?”, Mihri asked confusedly.

You'll see.”, Halmeoni said.

I sat down and stared at the envelope. Then I took a deep breath and opened it. I slowly took out the letter and read it.

Oh my gosh.

I was accepted.

And?”, Mihri asked impatiently.

I'm....accepted.”

Accepted for what?”, Mihri asked and pulled the letter out of my hands.
I was too stunned to react.

Halmeoni sat down next to me. “I'm happy for you, child.”

I smiled at her. “Thank you, Halmeoni.”

Wow! You really applied, didn't you? Awesome!” She paused. “Wait.....does that mean that you'll really leave us now?”

I....uhm...I.....I think so...”, I stuttered.

Okay, stop pestering Vinni with questions. Don't you have to work now? I won't pay you for doing nothing, dear.”, Halmeoni said and laughed.

Mihri grinned. “Okay, okay, chef! Gotta continue working now! See you later!”, she said and rushed away.

Ah....this child...just like a storm...”, Halmeoni murmured and then she turned to me. “So, what are you going to do now?”

I don't know...”

But I know. You'll accept this offer and become a personal assistant who travels to different places.”

Halmeoni...”

You've been doing more than enough for me. Now it's time that you do something for yourself, don't you think?”

Yes, maybe you're right.”

Not maybe, child. I AM right.”, she said and smiled.

Thank you, Halmeoni.”

Your welcome, dear. You can take a day off tomorrow to sign the contract.”

Okay.”

That may be your last day at this café. Enjoy it, child.” She stood up. “So, I gotta go now.”

I stood up, too. “Have a safe trip, Halmeoni.”

Thank you, child.”, she said and went out of the café.

My last day at this café. I looked around. The beautiful interior, the comfortable atmosphere, all the nice and kind people....I would miss them.

I got used to this environment, it would be difficult to cope with a new environment. But I had to do it. My time in this country was limited. I wouldn’t stay longer, that's why I had to enjoy every single day.

Oh? Did Halmeoni go already?”, Mihri asked behind me.

Yes.”

So, it's true? You gonna leave us?”, she asked with a sad expression.

Yes.”

She nudged me gently and chuckled. “Stop giving me short answers, babo. Come on, let's continue working. Just because it's your last day at this café, it doesn't mean that you can rest.”

Ay ay, sir!”, I said and laughed.

Vinni? Where's our coffee?”, Junho shouted.

Oh my gosh! Because of the letter, I totally forgot the orders!

I quickly grabbed the coffeepot and rushed to 2pm's table.

I'm sorry, guys. Something was distracting me. Won't happen again.”, I said and smiled.

Be careful or you'll lose your job this way.”, Taecyeon said and chuckled.

I just smiled ruefully. “Yeah, that would be a pity because I wouldn't get to see all again.”

That would be, indeed, a pity.”, Chansung said and laughed.

Vinni, could you please grab some juice bottles out of the storage room?”, Mihri called.

Sure! Be right back!”, I answered and rushed to the storage room.

It took me a while to gather the bottles because they were hidden behind several boxes. When I finally found them, I quickly grabbed them and went out of the storage room just to be greeted by shouts and cheers.

What the heck?

Vinni! There you are! Come on, come on, we've been waiting for you!”, Mihri said and pushed me forward. I was still too stunned.

Everyone, including the guests and the employees, were standing and clapping and cheering.

For me.

I put the bottles on the counter and turned towards the crowd.

Mihri stood beside. “Everyone! Today's Vinni's last day as a waitress at this café! Let's celebrate and thank her for the great time we all had with her!”, she shouted.

Everyone cheered.

I was touched and my eyes teared up. I quickly wiped the tears away.

Thank you so much. I had a great time, too.....thank you...”, I said.

Time for celebration! We gonna close early today, free drinks for everyone, Halmeoni gave me her okay.”, Mihri said and laughed.

Everyone cheered again.

Mihri nudged me gently. “Go and have fun. Especially this young man over there seems to be waiting for you to come over.”, she whispered and pointed to a table.

I followed her gaze and saw Minho sitting there, looking expectantly at us.

I don't know what to say....”

Don't tell me you became shy all of a sudden? The other days you were still flirting with him.”, Mihri said and laughed.

But-”

No but! Now go and talk to him! Go go go!”, she said and gave me a gentle push.

I sighed and walked to SHINee's table.

Ah, it's such a pity that you are going. We will miss you, Vinni. Who's gonna bring us our pancakes now?”, Onew asked and chuckled.

I grinned. “I'm not the only waitress here. You'll get your pancakes, even when I'm not here.”

But you are our favorite waitress.”, Taemin.

I smiled at him. “Thank you.”

Come on, sit down. Let's have dinner together.”, Minho said.

Uhm, it's okay, I don't want to-”

Just sit down, Vinni.”, Key said and laughed.

Hesitantly, I sat down, next to Minho.

What do you want to eat?”, he asked me.

Uhm...”

May we join you?”, someone asked.

We all looked up to see the 2PM Members standing next to the table.

Sure, why not?”, Onew said.

The 2PM Members grabbed some chairs and joined us.

So it wasn't a joke after all? You are really going, huh?”, Nichkhun asked.

Yeah.”

Ah, what a pity. You will be dearly missed.”, Taecyeon said.

I laughed. “You're talking as if I would die tomorrow. I'm just quitting this job but that doesn't mean that we won't see each other again. I can still visit the café.”

Taemin pouted. “But it's not the same.”

By the way, what are you doing now? I mean, now that you're not working as a waitress anymore.”, Junho asked.

I'm gonna be a....personal assistant.”

Personal assistant?” Minho arched an eyebrow. “That sounds like some kind of personal maid.”

I nudged him gently and laughed. “Hey, stop talking nonsense.”

Are you sure that you made the right decision? 'Personal assistant' sounds so...boring. Maybe you should quit and continue working here.”, Chansung said and grinned.

I like boring jobs.”, I said and laughed.

Are you serious? Only boring people love boring jobs. Don't tell me you are a boring person?”, Key asked.

I pouted. “So what if I'm a boring person?”

You know...this table is only for non-boring people...so...”, he said and chuckled.

I see...then it seems like you all should leave this table.”, I countered and smiled.

Ooooh, you wanna stay here alone?”, Wooyoung asked and chuckled.

If I'm too boring for you guys, then maybe...?”

Do what you want. I'm seriously craving for pancakes right now...will you take our orders?”, Chansung asked slyly.

I laughed. “I'm not working now, you have to get your pancakes on your own.”

We continued arguing until late evening. I was having a great time with everyone and I knew that I would really miss them. We would have celebrated longer if Haeri hasn't told everything to go home.

She has been silent all day long. Well, to be honest, she was always distant towards me.

I said goodbye to them and followed Haeri back home. Halmeoni was already sleeping. Haeri went straight into her room and I went into mine. I still needed to prepare the clothes for tomorrow.

What should I wear? Formal clothes? Casual clothes?

I looked through my clothes and let out a frustrated sigh. This would going to be a long night.

So you're really going, huh?”

Startled, I turned around. Haeri was leaning against the door frame, her arms crossed. I couldn't read the expression on her face.

I turned my back to her. “Yes.”

I knew it. You're just like the others.”, she spit out.

What did you say?”

Eating our food, living under our roof....and then you leave us because you find something better! You are all the same! Using us for your own benefits!”

I balled my fists and stood up, facing her. “I never 'used' you! I never even intended to stay! It was YOUR Halmeoni who wanted me stay and I'll be forever grateful. But you have no right to shout at me like this!”

So? Don't deny it. You're just like the others.”

I was getting more angry by every passing minute. “I am just like WHO?”

Those delusional foreigners who come to Korea to chase after all those dumb Idols, thinking they will all fall in love with them at first sight. Pretending to be nice to live like parasites in houses of Koreans who are kind enough to give them shelter. Using them for an amount of time, eating their food, using their electricity and water, just to leave them when they find another place. You guys just use us and then steal all our money and leave!”

Woah. This girl had serious issues.

We both remained silent, just glaring at each other.

Where did all these prejudices come from? Why did she has so much hatred towards foreigners?

Don't tell me...

Haeri....who betrayed you?”, I asked quietly.

She stiffened and clenched her teeth.

Seems like I was right. But I didn't get an answer. Just another glare.

Haeri....?”

It's none of your business!”, she hissed and rushed away.

I sighed and sat down. My head ached. Kneading my temples, I leaned my head against the wall.

Issues. Very serious issues.

I continued looking through my clothes and after a while, I decided to wear jeans and a blouse. It was a mixture between casual and formal. Perfect.

I changed into my pajamas and went into the bathroom. When I walked out of the bathroom, I heard a small noise coming from the kitchen. It sounded like someone was crying. I frowned and walked into the kitchen. Haeri was sitting at the counter, her back turning towards me.

Haeri?”

She stiffened but didn't turn around.

I approached her slowly. “Haeri, are you okay?”

Leave me alone.”, she snapped.

I stopped but didn't go away. “Do you want to talk?”

I. Said. Go. Away.”

Instead of going away, I sat down on a chair next to her. I slowly reached out and her back. She flinched but didn't move away. We sat like that for several minutes, without saying anything.

She was my best friend.”, she said after a while.

I didn't say anything.

I trusted her.”, she continued. “But she betrayed me.”

I her back again. “Who is 'she'?”

Haeri wiped away her tears. “She came to Korea several years ago. Halmeoni found her and brought her to us. I didn't have many friends at that time and she was nice and kind. It didn't take long for us to become friends and then best friends. I told her everything. I gave her everything. Whenever she needed a little bit money, I didn't hesitate to give it to her. She was my best friend after all.”

My hand on her back stopped. “What happened?”, I whispered.

One day I came home to find all her stuff gone. Nothing was left. No letter. Even our money was stolen.”

Oh my gosh...”

She wasn't the only one. Halmeoni keeps bringing foreigners to us, giving them shelter and food. And every time they leave with all our money. It's always the same but Halmeoni won't listen to me.”

Halmeoni is a kind person who only sees the good side of a person.”

She turned around abruptly. “Yes and you are going to use this kindness for your own benefits, aren't you? Now that you don't need us anymore, you're leaving, am I right?”

I pulled back my hand. “Why won't you stop accusing me?”

Huh. You know that I am right.”

I stood up. “So, are you? Then tell me why did I work at the café every day if I only 'used' you for my own benefits? Why did I help Halmeoni in the kitchen? Why did I clean the house? Why didn't I stole the money yet? Why? WHY? Why should I do all these things if I only used you? Start thinking before you accuse me. I didn't want to stay but Halmeoni convinced me. I didn't want to take this job offer but Halmeoni convinced me. I. Didn't. Use. You. Get that into your head, Haeri.”. With those words I rushed out of the kitchen and ran into my room. I let out a frustrated sigh and slumped on the blankets.

Even though I could understand her resentment towards foreigners, I was still annoyed that she put me into the same category as those other people.

I wasn't like them.

Why couldn't she see it?