Halmeoni's Request.

Keeping the Dream alive.

 

Every day the same routine. I woke up, was greeted by Haeri's glare, went to the café, enjoyed my time as a waitress, went home with Haeri and went to sleep without having Dinner.

One day we came home to see that Halmeoni was still awake.

Welcome back, my dears. Are you hungry? I made dinner for you.”, she said while pushing us into the kitchen.

Halmeoni, why aren't you sleeping yet? It's late.”, Haeri said.

I'm sleeping all day, so it doesn't matter if I stay up to cook dinner for my two girls.”

I was touched. “Thank you, Halmeoni. But it's not really necessary, I'm not that hungry.”

Me neither, Halmeoni.”, Haeri said.

Halmeoni pushed us even more. “Stop talking nonsense. Now let's eat dinner before it gets cold.”

We gave up and followed Halmeoni into the kitchen.

While eating, Halmeoni asked us about the café and our day. Haeri didn't talk that much, that was why I told Halmeoni everything I experienced so far.

So do you enjoy your time in Korea?”, she asked me.

Of course! The people are nice, the food is great and I even get to meet celebrities on a daily basis!”

I'm glad to hear it.” She chewed. “But I think you should apply for this other job.”

I choked. “What are you talking about, Halmeoni?”

She smiled and pulled out a crumbled piece of paper. “I'm talking about this.”, she said and handed it to me.

It was the flyer.

Where did you get this from?”, I asked confusedly.

I found it in the basket when I was cleaning your room.”

What's this?”, Haeri asked and gave me a suspicious look.

It's nothing.”, I said and put the flyer into my pocket.

Child...you don't have to lie to me.”

Halmeoni, I really don't know what you're talking about.”

She took my hand. “I told you several times that you're not indebted to me. I know you want to explore new places, that's why I want you to apply for this job.”

But-”

No but. If you really want to do me a favor then apply for this job. Okay?”

I don't know...”

She squeezed my hand. “Do it. For me.”

I sighed. “Okay. Thank you, Halmeoni.”

She returned my smile. “You're welcome, child.”

Haeri slammed the bowl on the table. “I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight.”

Haeri, what-”

Good night Halmeoni.”, Haeri interrupted her and rushed into her room.

Halmeoni sighed. ”I just don't know what's wrong with her.”

Halmeoni, it's late. You should go to bed, too. I'll wash the dishes.”, I said.

Let me help you, child.”

No, no, it's okay. Please do me the favor, Halmeoni.”

Okay, okay. But don't stay up too long.”

I won't.”

Okay, good night, child.”

Good night, Halmeoni.”

When she left the kitchen, I cleaned the table and washed the dishes. After that I want into my room. I sat down on the blanket and pulled out the flyer.

Should I really apply for this job? Should I leave Halmeoni and Haeri to explore new places?

Halmeoni told me to do so. So should I?

I sighed and pulled out some sheets of paper to write my application letter.

This trip was supposed to be an adventure. That was why I couldn't let this chance slip away. After 15 minutes, I finished writing the letter. Now I only had to send it away and wait for an answer.

The next days were going to be agonizing.