Sweeter than Sweets

I Did It for Love

Bells chimed as a little girl shoved the door to the bakery open. The aroma of freshly baked goods, such as cookies and muffins, aded the old, pastel-pink room. The little girl trotted to the display case, pressing her nose against the glass. She examined every pastry closely as an older woman chuckled softly. 

"Good evening, dear. May I help you?" The woman asked gently. 

The little girl nodded and jabbed her finger at the glass, pointing at a small and pink frosted cupcake.

"Seohyun," the woman called, "will you please help our young customer?" 

A young girl, about seventeen years-old, walked out of the kitchen and stood behind the display case. Her long, caramel-brown hair was tied into a high ponytail that twirled at the tips as it reached her shoulders. She had plump, pink lips and round cheeks much like a doll's. She wore an plain, olive green t-shirt and shorts that were frayed on the bottom. She had a pleasant and welcoming smile that practically brightened the whole room.

"Annyeong haseyo," She said quietly. "What would you like?"

The little girl repeatedly jabbed her finger at the cupcake, without a word.

Seohyun chuckled and opened the case, carefully taking out the cupcake. "That would be twenty-two thousand and sixty-two won, please." 

The girl remained silent. It occurred to her that the girl was alone, without a guardian.

"Did you come with your parents?" 

The girl shook her head.

Although she didn't have enough money, Seohyun couldn't let the girl leave without her cupcake. That cupcake could brighten her day, she thought. 

She looked around, then took the cupcake and leaned over the display, handing the girl the cupcake. "Here, enjoy!" She whispered. 

The little girl's eyes widened and a widening grin appeared on her face. "T-Thank you!" 

She the frosting, and Seohyun laughed when it got on the tip of her nose. "You're very welcome. Come again soon!" 

The girl skipped out of the door, and the bells hanging on the door chimed again. 

 

Seohyun got an old rag and began to clean. She hummed to herself as she scrubbed the tables diligently. Even though she took her time, there was not much to clean in the first place. Unfortunately, the bakery wasn't very popular. Seohyun thought it should have been the most popular bakery in Seoul, though. All the sweets are made with affection and time. We all try our hardest, and our prices are sensible. Whenever a someone comes by, they leave pleased. Seohyun remembered saying that to the owner once.

The owner of the shop, Mrs. Kim, was like the mother she never had. When Seohyun began working at the bakery, the Kims allowed her to move in with them out of the kindness in their hearts. Although they were extremely poor and could not afford anything more than food and clothing, she was completely grateful for everything she had. The old couple was unconditionaly loving, and did not scold her once.

She had forgotten what a family was like, since she was robbed of hers at a young age. Seohyun's parents got into a car crash when she was only ten years-old, which left her on the streets. She was desparate for help, and the only way she met her neccessities was by singing for passers-by. Most of the time, they would give her money, which she usually spent on food. 

"That was very sweet of you, dear," Said a frail voice from behind her.

She turned around to face Mrs. Kim. "What was?"

"How you gave that sweet little girl the cupcake for free. And how you're cleaning up, although I didn't ask you to. I appreciate it very much."

Seohyun chuckled. "Well, I couldn't possibly take it away from her just because she didn't have the money...if I were in her position, I would have been devastated."

Mrs. Kim walked to the door and flipped the "Open" sign to "Closed". 

"You've done more than enough today, Dear. It's late already, so you should go to sleep."

The younger girl gave her a hug and left.