Prologue

I Did It for Love

A/N:  This is two years before the actual story begins! The future chapters will be longer, don't worry. :)

   Seohyun lay against a run-down brick wall, panting heavily as if she were out of breath. She had woken from a vivid, terrifying dream--the same one she dreamt every  night. Small beads of sweat were dripping down her forehead as the dream replayed itself in her mind, without her consent. The fact that she was sleeping around the corner of a busy street did not help her calm down at all. She got to her knees and carefully picked up a shard of discolored glass (which must have come from a beer bottle) with her index and middle finger, then took a look at her reflection. 

"I'm still ugly," She murmured to herself, fixing strands of hair that were out of place. 

Why do I need to live like this? She wondered as she rubbed her eyes. 

    Although she woke up to a bad start, the weather looked nice. Shielding her eyes from the scorching sun, she picked up her worn-out and tattered sketchbook. She flipped to a brand new page--which did not look brand new at all-- and glanced around for something that was actually worth drawing. Drawing was the one thing she could do, without worrying about money. As soon as her hand brushed against the slightly wrinkled paper, she felt motivated. She picked up a piece of charcoal rock from the ground and tossed it up and down as she watched the cars dash by prolongedly. 

    Her eyes finally stopped wandering, as they lingered inadvertently on a tall, thin, figure. He was sitting on a bench several feet away from her, holding his phone to his ear. 

"Nae, Father. I understand already," He said, nodding.

Seohyun could see a smile pulling at his lips, and she couldn't help but smile, too. A moment later, he put his phone away and remained alone on the bench, whistling to himself.

   Although she could barely hear it, his whistling put her in a trance. He turned his head slightly to the side, giving her a full view of his face. He had full lips that curved upwards at the corners, high cheekbones, and chestnut-colored, almond-shaped eyes. His tousled brown-hair fell over his forehead neatly, and he looked no older than she was. He wore a black-and-white flannel shirt that fit loosely on his body. In her opinion, he looked like a model.

  She didn't  realize she was staring until he looked straight in her direction. No--he was looking in her direction, not at her. His eyes flicked away, and she immediately began sharpening the piece of charcoal against the dusty gravel on the ground, then carefully traced his face structure. She continuously looked up to see if the boy had noticed her at all, which he didn't. By the time she finished defining his eyes, he was gone. Regardless of whether he was there or not, though, she continued her hard work. One thing about Seohyun was that once she started trying her hardest, she never stopped.